ADVERTISEMENT

Golf & Track

SpiderFan

Graduate Assistant
Jun 7, 2001
Looks like we have our new women's golf coach, I'm sure now men's soccer will be the biggest priority along with a new AD now that that one is in the books. Also, all of the track and field recruits are announced--17 new runners/performers for the men's and women's teams including one transfer from Florida. Looks like a good class.

I really hate that we don't recruit track athletes on the men's side. We get XC guys who run track, but never have sprinters.

That said, the women look to have a very solid group coming in this year. I'm really impressed with the girl from Richmond.

Originally posted by Spiders05:
I really hate that we don't recruit track athletes on the men's side. We get XC guys who run track, but never have sprinters.
I disagree. Don't forget the track and XC programs are non-scholarship.

There is near 0% chance of getting a non-scholarship sprinter to compete for conference or national championships.

There is a much, much stronger chance of getting non-scholarship distance runners to compete for conference or national championships. This was recently evidenced by our winning A10's and going to Nationals in Men's XC in 2011. A truly incredible achievement for a Non-scholarship program, but one that can be replicated in the future, IMO.

This post was edited on 7/31 11:13 AM by MolivaManiac

MM, it's more of a personal "hate" than anything, given that I was a sprinter. I just hate not being able to see a list of sprinters that I can compare my times against with each recruiting class. I understand why they recruit the way that they do, but on a personal level, I hate not being able to compare my times from yesteryear to the guys we bring in. Comparing my 800+ times would be an exercise in futility.

have we not been utilizing football players for our sprinting over the past decade or so?

Originally posted by Spiders05:
MM, it's more of a personal "hate" than anything, given that I was a sprinter. I just hate not being able to see a list of sprinters that I can compare my times against with each recruiting class
roll.r191677.gif

We didn't have any football players that I could find at the A-10 meet this year. In some cases, it was hard for me to find any male Spider competing.

0 guys entered in the 100m.
2 in the 200m (finished 22/24 of 26)
2 in the 400m (finished 21/26 of 26)
1 800m (finished 22 of 26)
0 in 110H
0 400mH
No team in the 4x1 or 4x4 and our 4x8 team finished dead last
No guys entered in the jumps

Even our XC guys don't seem to be shining
1 in top 10 of 1500m
0 in top 10 of 5k

Our team finished 11th of 11 with 9 points - 12 points behind 10th place Xavier.

Seems as though we may have changed our position on using football guys.

This post was edited on 8/1 9:21 AM by Spiders05

Keep in mind that we had a very senior-laden team in 2011. The team was very young this year with 2 outstanding freshman middle distance runners, Fayette and Groff. Both of them are running under 4:10 metric mile equivalent, which is very, very good for freshmen.

Regarding participation at the A10 meet, keep in mind our football team is in transition and also keep in mind that Title 9 compliance may have been in play.

The Taylors are doing a very good job.

A, think we utilized them in the past in the indoor season, their off season, yet good training for them, remember several of them participating. the new football coaches may have changed that, do not know or as MO stated, could be other non-sport issues at play. we all need to see your high school times and also your current times so we can compare ours to yours....lol

I'm really happy with the way all the programs are run under the Taylor's. Again, just lamenting the fact that we don't have a sprint program to speak of. And the only reason I wish we had one was so that I could compare my times of yesteryear.

A, you still looked pretty fast the last time i saw you, though you had a brew in your hand which might cost you a few tenths.

don't recall, he consumes stuff i have never heard of before, such a beer snob.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT