ADVERTISEMENT

Furman starts D-1 lacrosse program

AnnapSpider

Graduate Assistant
May 8, 2003
Annapolis, MD
Furman announced it was going to start it's D-1 lacrosse program. I read this morning in the Annapolis newspaper that Furman has gone out and hired Richie Meade, who was the head coach at Navy for 17 years. Like most coaches, even though he had taken Navy to the National Championship game, had numerous conference championships, he ended with two years of "what have done for us lately" see ya! Don't let your kids grow-up to be coaches.
I think we need to keep an eye on the "Jones" so we don't get left behind.

it is the fastest growing sport because it was so regional and smallest sport. not knocking it at all but to make is sound like an ipad or something is a bit off. if only two colleges have it and then it goes to four, you can say it doubled but does not mean the world is changing. again, don't see adding another sport unless we make a commitment to do it first class, the right way. do not wish to have another sport languishing because we do not fully fund it and go for a championship with it.

That was Denver that Loyola just beat to get to the final 4. And that was The Notre Dame that Loyola beat to into the championship. And Michighan has just announced it is going to have a D-1 lacrosse program.

I love my school, but we had a winning water polo program and its gone, and we've had a men's golf program and men's tennis program for at least 50 years-haven't seen many championships there.
I'm just saying-

Also notice in that article that Furman is adding both men's and women's teams. A little "easier" for them since they balance the Title IX requirements with equal men's and women's adds in the same sports. We don't have that luxury, we already have women's lacrosse. I think in the end (whenever that is) we add it as a men's varsity sport and increase women's scholarships across the board in existing sports or add women's rowing or volleyball.

Not sure how Furman makes Title IX work the scholarships and participation rules. Before adding men's and women's lacrosse they had 8 men's and 8 woman's sports. Compared to Richmond that offers 9 women's and 8 men's sports.

Even with the 9 vs 8 at Richmond we still have a tough time keeping the scholarships and participation even. Football needs at least 3 times as many women's sports to even out the scholarships so many men's teams either aren't fully funded or funded at all. It also requires at least another sport to even out participation. Even with the extra sport I here the women's teams are recruiting walk ons from the student population just to increase roster sizes for Title IX requirements.

For womens sports Richmond has Field hockey and swimming and Furman has softball and volleyball. Our men's sports are the same except for lacrosse.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT