ADVERTISEMENT

My thoughts on our program

spiderstudent17

Team Manager
Mar 25, 2015
So now that we have finished out our conference schedule, I wanted to write out my thoughts on where we are as a program and why, what we can do to improve, and my concerns.

* disclaimer, this is a long post.

My concern:

2-10 is not good at all. And yes we heard the reasons of being young, inexperienced, or having a tough schedule, but my concern lies in constantly trying to justify a reason for these losses and here's why: this narrative never establishes clear goals. It has the "wait until next year" mentality that has perpetuated throughout Mooney's tenure. In all honesty, it's not that we are 2-10 this year that has disappointed me the most. Every team has its good and bad years, especially schools that are not in P5 conferences and can restock with 5 star recruits every year. It is the lack of accountability from both Mooney and Gill when he was AD, to state clear goals and expectations for this team. This really has been going on for 13 years (minus 2) of the same old story. It's gotten to the point where if we are competitive in a game, it is considered a "win" and hope for what's to come in the future. This should not be the standard in which we hold ourselves to. If you think this is the administration telling Mooney to behave like this, listen to a coach Huesman press talk. He has clearly stated that competing for national championships is our goal, has taken responsibility for losses, and doesn't mince his words. Listening to Mooney speak, it almost comes across as a "this is who we are as a program" kind of tone and complacency, as if we cannot achieve more.

What do I think is the biggest obstacle preventing us from being successful on the court:

I am not pretending to be an expert coach in the nuances and tactics of basketball, it's based on my observations of how we play compared to other teams

The biggest thing, I think, is Mooney's inability to adapt or change his approach. It's like he is trying to force a triangular block into a square hole. This positionless basketball approach may be beneficial with certain players or against certain teams but it has glaring flaws.

For one, I think we should make more of an effort to keep our big men in the paint and as close to the basket as possible. It's great that they can shoot threes, but what if they miss? Who do we have to get offense rebounds? Additionally, we become too dependent on outside shooting which can be very risky. I wish we had 2 Golden caliber big men on the court at the same time and having at least one remain near the basket.

Going off of this, we need a more balanced roster. Having 4 guards and 1 power forward can create mismatches if the team we are playing against has a true center or several players above 6'6". Going off my previous point, I think we should go for players who are like Derrick Williams who we had a few years ago, or like a Mo-Allie Cox or Justin Tillman for VCU. Someone who is a bully down in the paint.

We need to make more of an effort on offensive rebounds. When we shoot ball, every player retreats back, making no attempt to get the rebound unless there is a fortuitous bounce. This has to be due to coaches telling the players not to give up fast break points. But does that really necessitate all 5 of our players not going for the rebound? 2nd chance points are huge in basketball.

I don't think the coaches are to blame for every missed shot or loss, that's ridiculous. However, it's not the fact we lose, but HOW we lose that must constantly be reevaluated. It has been stated on this forum, opponents' forums, and by announcers ad nauseum that we have a huge deficit in rebounds and allowing second chance points, while creating little 2nd chance points for ourselves. A coach must consider WHY this is happening and make appropriate changes in tactics and recruiting. I believe this is happening because the offense and defenses schemes we are implementing are simply not conducive to this critical component of basketball, as well as the imbalance of positions we recruit for. I am more of a traditionalist when I say that big men should remain in the paint because they have the best chance to block shots and get rebounds.

To Mooney's credit, he's recruited Kevin Anderson, Justin Harper, Kendall Anthony, TJ, Buck, Shawn'dre, Fore, Gilyard, Golden, and Sherod, all of whom have or will win A10 accolades like POY, ROY, all conference/freshman team, etc. Yet, why have many of these players not been to an NCAA tournament yet? It is certainly not due to lack of talent. I really think it's because the system in which they play does not fit their style of play. For example, Sherod is a tremendous player, but a Justin Tillman will beat him in the paint any day because of the size and strength mismatch. Yet we have had Sherod play the 4 position before! Think about it like this: Shaquille O'Neill is one of the most dominant centers to ever play basketball, but would you want him playing point guard? Having positionless basketball places too much expectations on players to excel in such different capacities, which may extend beyond their physical limitations or skill set I.e. Having a 6'4 Sherod guarding a 6'9" Justin Tillman. That can be very difficult. Instead, we need a more clearly defined and balanced role for our players among our roster.

What can we do to improve:

I won't touch on this a lot because I've mentioned it before, but basicially it is Hardt telling Mooney to either change his approach or we will find a different coach. We cannot expect different results if we keep doing the same thing over and over again. Additionally, the practice facility/athlete complex is a must simply to keep up with our peer institutions in basketball and showcase our commitment to recruits. Also alignment between administration and basketball.

Where we stand:

At the end of the day, I am really proud of our University and basketball program and think we do a lot of things right. We run a clean program, have great players who represent this University well, and a coach who has shown some signs of good things. Also, other than this year, the previous years we have competed at a respectable level and even came close to an NCAA tournament. However, this should not be what we aim for. I get that for individuals who aren't fans of Richmond, probably think about our program the same way we think about a High Point University school, in that "they are who they are as a program and they shouldn't really expect much else. Just accept that fact that you will be a mediocre team in an above average basketball conference". I refuse to accept that we have hit our ceiling as a program and truly believe that we can achieve what other mid majors like Gonzaga or Butler have achieved. We just need to make the appropriate changes at a coaching level and institutional level, which shows that we are committed to success. Nothing worth having ever comes easy!

As always, go Spiders!

Last edited:
What do I think is the biggest obstacle preventing us from being successful on the court:

The biggest thing, I think, is Mooney's inability to adapt or change his approach. It's like he is trying to force a triangular block into a square hole.

I refuse to accept that we have hit our ceiling as a program and truly believe that we can achieve what other mid majors like Gonzaga or Butler have achieved. We just need to make the appropriate changes at a coaching level and institutional level, and showing that we are committed to success.

Good post!

1) Yes, CM isn't good at in-game adjusting but appears just as subpar with his lack of offensive/defensive scheme tweaks.

2) Also been saying for years so much potential to be like like Gonzaga but IMO UR's higher ups don't see year-in-year-out success at men's basketball as a national image enhancer for UR beyond sports.

Reactions: ViennaSpider
Excellent post. You said what many of us feel. I am hopeful that Hardt is coming here with the vision of what Richmond basketball should aspire to be and that it matches what many of us believe is possible, too. We need to change our groupthink on that as an institution and/or athletic department, it seems. The voices from the fanbase are becoming difficult for anyone to overlook, and in my eyes that's a good thing.

2) Also been saying for years so much potential to be like like Gonzaga but IMO UR's higher ups don't see year-in-year-out success at men's basketball as a national image enhancer for UR beyond sports.

I don't think it's that the higher ups don't see how basketball can be a national image enhancer, of course it is. Millions of people watch basketball every week and the NCAA tournament. It is also an easy way to get our name recognized across the country by appearing on tv/ESPN which can then generate money for the school, and more applications for the school. Having a final four appearance is going to do a heck of a lot more for our national image then having a great speech and debate team. At the end of the day, having strong sports (especially basketball) is single-handedly the greatest recruiting tool and symbol our university can have to garner national interest and enhance our image. Basically for any school outside of the Ivies, athletics is a way to help bolster their image I.e. Duke, Vanderbilt, Northwestern, etc.

I think it's more the fact that the higher ups have a limit to what they are willing to invest in basketball and have accepted the fact (in their minds) that we won't be a Duke, Gonzaga or Villanova in basketball and are okay with that. Is some of the lack of investment because we don't have P5 money helping to subsidize our athletic department? Absolutely. However, plenty of schools have excelled in basketball without P5 money.

This touches on the broader institutional idea that as a University we have to 100% commit to national athletic excellence because it will pay off dividens in the end.

Reactions: ViennaSpider
This touches on the broader institutional idea that as a University we have to 100% commit to national athletic excellence because it will pay off dividens in the end.
My understanding is that UR administration cares about having athletics but doesn’t care deeply about being championship caliber. They don’t want to suck, but they aren’t going to cut corners to succeed.

I think Hale comes from a different worldview and recognizes the positive impact athletics will have if we change our mindset.

Mooney doesn’t own that but he hasn’t shown great capacity to succeed in spite of it either.

Heck, we don’t need to be Gonzaga, it would just be nice to be a program that regularly competes for conference championships and NCAA bids and fields a roster that allows for that.

Reactions: spiderhoops2011
A Front Royal Wag said to me the other day. (I had on my UR Spider jacket). " Your school is overrun by Yankees and your basketball program sucks."

Excellent post. You said what many of us feel. I am hopeful that Hardt is coming here with the vision of what Richmond basketball should aspire to be and that it matches what many of us believe is possible, too. We need to change our groupthink on that as an institution and/or athletic department, it seems. The voices from the fanbase are becoming difficult for anyone to overlook, and in my eyes that's a good thing.

Of course Hardt is going to be a step up from Gill; that's a low bar.

What is it about Bucknell's results over the past few years that make anyone think his vision matches ours?

Reactions: PASpider
My understanding is that UR administration cares about having athletics but doesn’t care deeply about being championship caliber. They don’t want to suck, but they aren’t going to cut corners to succeed.

This perfectly conveys my perception/reality of the higher ups priority with sports.

Well Bucknell has been to the NCAAs, for one. But in general, I would presume that at a school with different resources, presumably better ones or else he wouldn't be making the move, his expectations would be even higher.
Of course Hardt is going to be a step up from Gill; that's a low bar.

What is it about Bucknell's results over the past few years that make anyone think his vision matches ours?

Well Bucknell has been to the NCAAs, for one. But in general, I would presume that at a school with different resources, presumably better ones or else he wouldn't be making the move, his expectations would be even higher.
Eight, agree. As I recall, Mr. Hardt actually alluded to that in interviews.

The goals for our sports programs are a closely guarded secret. If there are any specific goals beyond the platitudes of have competitive teams, represent the school well, or things in that vein they are not released to the general public. If they exist and were made public then the school would have some accountability and accountability does not appear to be a goal.

Maybe the best post I've read as far as summing up the whole Mooney issue. It really is just his inability to change that has cost us so many wins. We should have made the tournament at least 4 other times since Mooney has been here (13-14, 14-15, 15-16, and 16-17) however we did not make it in any of those years because of poor coaching, not because of talent. The two biggest things that stick out to me about Mooney's coaching style is the total non-effort to rebound and not ever changing the defense. The rebounding is the most perplexing, how are you going to just throw away a huge part of the game? I have heard Mooney say before that rebounding isn't as important to his teams. For real???? The defense also is very puzzling. For a while it worked pretty well but I think a lot of teams have caught on to what we do. Not changing the defense when another team scores easily is just mind blowing. I'll never forget a game in 2013 against GW at home when they just continuously pounded the ball inside on us and we never changed the defense. My dad was screaming all game to switch to a zone or at least try it but they never did. We lost that game and it helped keep us out of the tournament that year. Right after that game is when it hit me that Mooney had to go.

The two biggest things that stick out to me about Mooney's coaching style is the total non-effort to rebound and not ever changing the defense. The rebounding is the most perplexing, how are you going to just throw away a huge part of the game? I have heard Mooney say before that rebounding isn't as important to his teams. For real???? .

The rebound dynamic - Richmond 45 rebounds, Boston College 35 rebounds - in arguably our most competitive game other than the 2 wins..........so hey, maybe rebounds are important?

The rebounding "logic" is so absurd these days, especially. It would be one thing if giving up offensive rebounding to get back and prevent fastbreak points was clearly paying off by making it tougher for teams to score on our half-court defense. But we can't defend anyone one on one and we are constantly a step or two behind anyway, so we are getting torched on defense this way anyway. How much worse could it be if we allowed at least a couple guys to fight for second-chance points on offense?

It's not like the teams that do try hard for offensive rebounds are giving up 100 fastbreak points a game as a result. I just don't get it.

Reactions: SpiderGuy
The rebounding "logic" is so absurd these days, especially. It would be one thing if giving up offensive rebounding to get back and prevent fastbreak points was clearly paying off by making it tougher for teams to score on our half-court defense. But we can't defend anyone one on one and we are constantly a step or two behind anyway, so we are getting torched on defense this way anyway. How much worse could it be if we allowed at least a couple guys to fight for second-chance points on offense?

It's not like the teams that do try hard for offensive rebounds are giving up 100 fastbreak points a game as a result. I just don't get it.
I don’t know...

I think if you try for offensive rebounds and don’t get any, then after the other team has gotten the defensive rebound, you keep trying to get the offensive rebound while they go to the other end, they will have a lot of fast break points.

I don’t know...

I think if you try for offensive rebounds and don’t get any, then after the other team has gotten the defensive rebound, you keep trying to get the offensive rebound while they go to the other end, they will have a lot of fast break points.

When that problem arises then we make adjustments

Reactions: Eight Legger
I don’t know...

So then how do other teams get offensive rebounds? We are the anomaly, not other teams. Most teams try to get offensive rebounds, and most teams do not constantly surrender fastbreak points all game long. Mooney would have us all believe this, I guess, but it's simply fiction.

The rebound dynamic - Richmond 45 rebounds, Boston College 35 rebounds - in arguably our most competitive game other than the 2 wins..........so hey, maybe rebounds are important?

I'm sure they got a locker room full of F bombs. Things will be back to normal for our next game.

A Front Royal Wag said to me the other day. (I had on my UR Spider jacket). " Your school is overrun by Yankees and your basketball program sucks."
And so did you nail that MoFo dog walking Redneck with a good right cross?

Wait. I thought we lost. What am I missing?

So then how do other teams get offensive rebounds? We are the anomaly, not other teams. Most teams try to get offensive rebounds, and most teams do not constantly surrender fastbreak points all game long. Mooney would have us all believe this, I guess, but it's simply fiction.
I know we have had interesting suggestions, but surprised that people are taking my suggestion seriously.

I am saying do nothing except get offensive rebounds. Don’t stand in center court at opening jump, all 5 stay under our own basket. After other team makes a basket, don’t take the ball out of bounds, all 5 go stand under our own basket. The entire team should do nothing the entire game but wait for offensive rebounds...

Is that a bit more obvious?

As long as Mooney is at the helm, we will regularly be in the lower 300's of D1 schools in rebounding. This topic has been discussed up & down forever on this site.

A good question for perspective coaches - "What is your rebounding philosophy?" If it mirrors Mooney's, they should be disqualified from consideration. We need a different philosophy. The same ole isn't getting it done.

Right now we rank 341 out of 351 teams in total rebounding.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="SpiderGuy

Right now we rank 341 out of 351 teams in total rebounding.[/QUOTE]

Well alright, we are better than 10 teams! Things are looking up.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT