ADVERTISEMENT

Colt Langdon - 2025 Offer

SFspidur

Spider's Club
Gold Member
May 5, 2003
Mooney's barely out the door from the postgame press conference and he's handing out offers. 6'8" forward out of Raleigh...offers from VT, Illinois, LSU, and more. He's taken some unofficial visits to NC State, UVA, VT, and ECU.

Last edited:
I believe both the varsity and JV teams made the trip to play JM.

Langdon was named a top-50 player in the class of 2025 by ESPN. Not sure how long we'll be able to stay in the picture here.

Yeah, he's going to have his choice of P5 schools. Regarded as one of the top players in this area and only a soph. His dad played football at UVA.

App State offer. Seems like his first one since we offered back in November, but he has previous P5 offers from Illinois, LSU, VT, and Ole Miss.

Here's an article from late February talking about his recruitment. He named us, but otherwise it focused on the P5s.

Langdon interest continuing to pick up...got a Furman offer a few days after the VCU offer, and Georgetown offered today.

This is the type of player where our NIL could make a splash. Lets offer this kid 500K right off the jump, maybe more.
Not sure if you're being facetious or not. I have no insider knowledge but I'm pretty sure we aren't about to be paying players these kind of numbers 🤷🏼‍♂️

Reactions: urfan1
Not sure if you're being facetious or not. I have no insider knowledge but I'm pretty sure we aren't about to be paying players these kind of numbers 🤷🏼‍♂️
Don’t be so sure about that, Trap is paying it personally…

I was being facetious - but if we are going to have an NIL just to pay what everyone else pays, whats the point. Especially when UR prides itself of giving numbers and size of endowment - yet we can't get enough NIL support to throw some big money and make a splash. I know we won't do it - but some A10 team will do it eventually.

NIL isn't a UR thing, it's a UR booster thing.
no way to project what we can spend on a player without knowing how much we can raise annually for mens hoops.

plus that money has to go to retention as well as attraction. there's no world where I can see us spending that kind of money on one high school guy.

That's what I don't really get about NIL. I didn't think boosters were allowed to be involved with recruiting in any way. And I didn't think schools themselves could promise recruits NIL money. So how does it work?

I believe it has to go through a 3rd party, so the collective is run by boosters.
if it was paid by the university it would be subject to Title IX.
clearly the collective is working closely with the school (coach) though.

NIL can not technically be used in recruiting. The NCAA think or wants to think that NIL deals must happen after a kid commits and sets foot on campus, but in reality - we all know this is not the case. We know big schools are offering beforehand to recruit kids and there is not much NCAA can do as long as that NIL deal is "signed" after the scholarship is signed.

But once you start giving out NIL deals or getting NIL deals for your players - I am sure you can use that as a recruiting tool to future players. You can say things or show things that illustrate your players receive good NIL deals and that you would expect the same for Player X you are recruiting. So a good history of NIL deals will likely help in recruiting as well.

35b4eb_8b832c1a3308497ea49cab64bf7f788c~mv2.jpg

Reactions: gospidersgo
100% teams are not following this rule. We all know it, but everyone knows how to get around it.

My point is - with our NIL, what good will it do or how much "return" will we see if we just pay 10K here or 30K or 50K to a player here - will that really net us a player that will impact and change our program? Probably not. But if we could get an impact transfer, even for a year and pay for it - or a HS kid, and pay for it - why not?

Another name that comes to mind on the transfer market would have been Robbie Beran - local kid, very good player, did okay at Northwestern. Could have recruiting him and offered him a nice NIL package to come home to Richmond and play for 1 year in his hometown. Instead - he goes to VA Tech and have to imagine he is getting something from them.

What good is an NIL if your not going to use it to the fullest extent?

Don't worry, we'll have ours up and running smoothly by 2025, just in time for the NCAA to have implemented stricter rules that cap what you can pay someone anyway.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT