ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Richmond Spiders Football - Opponents Countdown - Charleston Southern

mojo-spider

Team Manager
Gold Member
Dec 31, 2010

it’s very ironic that Charleston Southern is located in North Charleston…the Spiders have never played the Buccaneers who are members of the Big South conference…the Big South has joined with the Ohio Valley conference to form a football Association of nine programs.

CSU head coach Gabe Giardina enters his 2nd full season off of a 4-7, 2-4 Big South 2023 season…last season the Bucs struggled offensively…they showed potential on the defensive side of the ball, but were inconsistent…

Coach Giardina hope’s a year’s experience and key newcomers will make the Buccaneers more competitive in the tougher Association…Giardina runs a pro spread offense and a multiple front defense…Charleston Southern returns 14 starters from the 2023 squad…the Association’s Media Day preseason poll picks the Bucs to finish 6th in the 9 team Association…

this is another game in which the Spiders will likely be significant favorites…the game should serve as another chance to develop team skills on the field against a team we should defeat…a solid performance and win should serve the Spiders well when the schedule gets tougher in late September…

enjoy the Countdown!

Go Spiders!

“…8. Charleston Southern (4-7, 2-4) – The Gabe Giardina coaching era opened with a 4-2 home record, so the next step is for the Buccaneers is to add road wins. They hope to build around sophomore QB Zolten Osborne, who’s tasked with improving the conference’s worst offense last season (Sacred Heart transfer Rob McCoy is on the roster as well). On defense, safety Trayson Fowler is coming off a breakout season, and D-lineman Joshua Hill had an excellent campaign after transferring into the program...”

Reactions: urfan1
Last edited:
I don’t understand Wickersham over Coleman but I never have. I know I’m not a coach but darn it seems weird. Why recruit the kid if you’re not able to coach him?!?!?

Reactions: ViennaSpider
Starters v Furman

CSU

Last edited:
UR issued notes:

Aziz Foster -Powell not included on depth chart-suspended

Spider Aziz Foster-Powell (Highland Springs) may not look part, but plays part
I do see Donovan Hoilette listed at DE. II accurate this is good to see. His injury during the game did not look good as he was assisted from the field.

Huesman says the problem isn't Kyle, it's been everyone around him. So he gets the ball again. 🥴

I do see Donovan Hoilette listed at DE. II accurate this is good to see. His injury during the game did not look good as he was assisted from the field.
Unfortunately I believe Hoilette remaining in the two deep was a sloppy oversight by whoever updates it weekly. Huesman said Monday he was finished for the season and reiterated that again today in the local media session.

Ha, any chance Foster-Powell’s absence on the “two deep” was another oversight. Huesman was not asked about it in today’s media session.

Go Spiders!

Chuck South runs a triple option on offense. Unless our defense can play good assignment football, it will be a long day. Last week, Wickersham threw 3 INTs, but ran for 100 yards. You can't be the top runner and have a good passing game. CSU knows that Wickersham is a run first QB. They will make UR pay.

Chuck South runs a triple option on offense. Unless our defense can play good assignment football, it will be a long day. Last week, Wickersham threw 3 INTs, but ran for 100 yards. You can't be the top runner and have a good passing game. CSU knows that Wickersham is a run first QB. They will make UR pay.
This didn't age particularly well.

What was that heading into halftime?
We had a good lead at that point with plenty of clock to run 2 minute offense which we will need at some point this season. That was far from it & ultra conservative. Then Russ is calling timeouts with around 30 seconds and about 60 or 70 yards to the goal line only to run the ball. I'm not following what this last set of downs he was trying to achieve.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT