ADVERTISEMENT

2023 FCS Regular-Season Attendance Leaders

Ouch. Registering below Stony Brook. Really has been a large drop. Maybe we can win a few of these playoff games and get people excited ago.

Reactions: urfan1
Ouch. Registering below Stony Brook. Really has been a large drop. Maybe we can win a few of these playoff games and get people excited ago.

Nova below us and they got the AQ.

Was in New Haven this weekend for Yale-Harvard.52,000 in attendance.Yale had an avg game attendance of 11,000 for the season.Shows ya what only 1 game will do.

I agree with you EL on actual attendance. This years home schedule was not attractive and the early season losses took excitement away for many fans. This team deserves all the fan support we can provide at this point. They never quit and stuck together to reach their goals of a CAA Championship and playoff participation. That season is over and even though many were originally disappointed it has turned out great. Now each team starts the “official” playoff season with no wins and losses. This team is very used to the concept of win or go home as a loss in the last 6 games would have meant the end of their dream. Let’s start 1-0 on Saturday and it’s down to 16 teams.

I don't know, are we really pulling a lot of casual VT and UVA fans? Hopefully we can just pull in a good crowd of our own fans, many of whom haven't been coming out so far this year. This weekend is always a tough draw anyway but a few thousand loud fans will be an advantage for us.

I don't know, are we really pulling a lot of casual VT and UVA fans? Hopefully we can just pull in a good crowd of our own fans, many of whom haven't been coming out so far this year. This weekend is always a tough draw anyway but a few thousand loud fans will be an advantage for us.
I agree with all that this team deserves support. That being said, if we have 4000 present Saturday I will be pleased. We need a total redo of our marketing and community outreach - our paid staff would be well advised to get alumni involved to reach out throughout the community. As stated previously, why not bring back the volunteer organization that the Spider Club once was. hardt’s department might be surprised with the lift they would get from asking for alumni to organize .

As a season ticket holder I expected to get an email by now concerning tickets, but so far crickets. I went to the ticket site and discovered I couldn't buy my normal seats (blocked out -hopefully for me). And it looks like they plan to charge $15-25 for parking.

As a season ticket holder I expected to get an email by now concerning tickets, but so far crickets. I went to the ticket site and discovered I couldn't buy my normal seats (blocked out -hopefully for me). And it looks like they plan to charge $15-25 for parking.
It was part of Spider Jolt. Got my seats this AM, parking pass going out by email Wednesday.

I received an email around 3pm yesterday re the playoffs and ticket sales starting at 10 today.

SPIDERS MAKE THE FCS PLAYOFFS!
The University of Richmond football team will make its 13th NCAA FCS playoff appearance when it hosts the Eagles of NC Central on Saturday, Nov. 25th at 2:00pm!
Season ticket holders will have the opportunity to purchase their same seats starting tomorrow, Nov. 20th, at 10:00am. All season tickets holders have until Wednesday, Nov. 22nd, at 10:00am to secure their seats. After that time, all seats will be released and on sale to the general public.

TICKET INFORMATION
Sections 204 - 206: $30.00
Sections 101 - 109: $30.00
Sections 201 - 203, 207 - 209: $20.00
Sections 112 - 117, 212 - 217: $20.00
PARKING
Season ticket holders, who purchased a season parking pass, will be sent their playoff parking pass(es) via email on Wednesday, Nov. 22nd, after they have secured their playoff ticket(s). Parking passes will be in PDF format. Those who secured parking will be able to print their parking pass(es) or present them on a smartphone to event staff upon arrival on game day.

Click on the button below and follow these instructions to reserve your ticket:
  • Click on "Season Renewal Application"
  • Click on "FCS Round 1"
You may also contact the Robins Center Ticket Office at 1-877-SPIDER-1 to reserve your tickets.

Spider postseason play is brought to you by Bryant Heating and Cooling.

I don’t think we are pulling many casual fans from the community in general. Back in the Clawson and London final days of City Stadium we would get very nice crowds when we were consistently in the playoffs. UR is an absolutely beautiful campus but we don’t market or make ourselves accessible to the community (In my opinion). Some of this has to do with the younger generation having so many entertainment options and low attention spans but our home attendance has been dreadful the last few seasons. That said, it was a blast being in the visitors section at Zable on Saturday. Very passionate group of spider faithful who got to share the win with our team and the team was loving the support and feeding off it. A special thing to be a part of.

hit sports radio and channel 6 during sports clip. Playoff football tickets as low as $20, come be part of the excitement!

Reactions: mojo-spider
The overall direction of the school has driven fans away. Most local fans know UR doesn't value winning. That said, really impressive winning streak by the football team and I hope that improves attendance in the future.

I will have to say sometimes the UR Administration does confuse me. I can’t say we aren’t committed to winning based on all the money that is put into facilities and our sports programs. We have a nice on-campus stadium that both football and lacrosse can utilize and a beautiful remodeled arena for basketball. Football and basketball have beautiful state of the art support facilities. We always put up great bids in football to host first round playoff games which are always a financial loss but a big win for our team and our fans. BUT, we also fall far short in marketing our product, especially football. An example of this took place Sunday.

Kudos to the Administration for putting together a watch party for the selection show on Sunday so fans could join the players to see if we made the playoffs and who we would play. All the players and coaches were present as well as a nice turnout of alumni, fans and parents of players. Our AD and President (who is extremely supportive of athletics) and their wives were also in attendance. I’m sure other athletic administrators and PR staff were also in the room. Everyone gathered at noon and mingled with each other and refreshments were provided until the selection show started at 12:30. Great event which could have been made even better with at least someone from the Administration going to the podium and welcoming the coaches, team and others gathered and at least acknowledge we won a championship the day before. Or maybe someone taking the time to bring those two nice trophies that were won the previous day to have at the event to build even more enthusiasm. Or after we got a bid and a home game, thank the team, wish them luck moving forward and give the gathered crowd some ticket information as they departed. Not one word was spoken at this event by any UR official to formerly address the crowd. Leaders need to lead and build enthusiasm especially when venues are ready made for celebrations and recognition. These small things make a big difference in the minds of many and could go a long way to show that our Administrators support and value not only athletics but winning championships at the highest level possible. Go Spiders!

Good point someone should have spoken. Really someone from AD dept. But 1 issue is we haven't had good public speakers, motivators, etc. in a long time in those positions. Both Presidential level and AD level. Gill or Hardt doing that. No.

Look at last 3 presidents...Ayers fit at a Civil War book club, Crutcher rather play cello, Cooper lmao. It's embarrassing really. You have to go back to Morrill imo. I have no idea on Hallock. Never heard him speak unscripted. reports r good but we heard same on Ayers.

It could have been someone else of course but just saying we don't seem to hire those ppl, if u look at recent history of those 2 positions, they aren't the rally around you leader types.

Good point someone should have spoken. Really someone from AD dept. But 1 issue is we haven't had good public speakers, motivators, etc. in a long time in those positions. Both Presidential level and AD level. Gill or Hardt doing that. No.

Look at last 3 presidents...Ayers fit at a Civil War book club, Crutcher rather play cello, Cooper lmao. It's embarrassing really. You have to go back to Morrill imo. I have no idea on Hallock. Never heard him speak unscripted. reports r good but we heard same on Ayers.

It could have been someone else of course but just saying we don't seem to hire those ppl, if u look at recent history of those 2 positions, they aren't the rally around you leader types.
My interactions with Hallock have not been favorable. He came across as an inveterate snob.

Throwing money at facilities doesn't mean the University is committed to winning. Let's use basketball as an example. 3 NCAA in 18 years including nearly a decade between appearances. No other A10 school would tolerate those results from its flagship program. But Richmond does. Winning big requires full cooperation and effort from the President on down. Administration, AD, marketing, and coaching all have to work together and be top notch to succeed. Do we really have that at UR?

As I mentioned on another thread, as a local alum I have not received ONE email asking me to buy tickets for the playoff game. Nor was I notifed of the watch party which I would not have not known about if I did not read this board.

Inexcusable.

At 37,000+, the entire state of Montana population attended a football game.

At 37,000+, the entire state of Montana population attended a football game.
Im jealous that these schools in the middle of nowhere can outdraw the hell out of us and with a metro area of 1+ million people and we can’t even fill half the stands on a perfect weather day. Too much stuff to do I suppose. Did we even draw 20k fans all season?

Reactions: urfan1 and whampas
Im jealous that these schools in the middle of nowhere can outdraw the hell out of us and with a metro area of 1+ million people and we can’t even fill half the stands on a perfect weather day. Too much stuff to do I suppose. Did we even draw 20k fans all season?
I know. That was kinda my point. Being consistent winners is best marketing I guess.

We need to be realistic and realize in an era of football saturation on TV, having numerous other college teams in VA with lots more alumni affiliation, and even lots more competition for a family’s time and money on a Saturday we will never draw people like at old UR/City Stadium. We can and should draw 8,000 plus with a quality product and FCS schedule but we are in different times now than 15 years ago. Most of those Midwest schools are also much bigger and are the big thing to do in their Region. We only become that by winning consistently at the highest level possible.

We need to be realistic and realize in an era of football saturation on TV, having numerous other college teams in VA with lots more alumni affiliation, and even lots more competition for a family’s time and money on a Saturday we will never draw people like at old UR/City Stadium. We can and should draw 8,000 plus with a quality product and FCS schedule but we are in different times now than 15 years ago. Most of those Midwest schools are also much bigger and are the big thing to do in their Region. We only become that by winning consistently at the highest level possible.
Agree with this, plus we could use a boost from more imaginative and aggressive marketing to support the program...

32 did an outstanding job during the season of highlighting in the Marketing thread the many things that other programs do to market themselves...the Spiders could use some of that mojo...

that way when a football fan has to decide on a beautiful fall day whether to take the family for a walk along the James, or take in a game at The Brick House, they'll head for UR...the only D-I football in RVA!

Go Spiders!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT