ADVERTISEMENT

2022 Richmond Spiders Football - Prologue - New Hampshire

So predictable offensively late in game with small lead. Where has the 5-7 yard pass gone? Essentially ball control; like a run. Russ puts reins on Cosh in late game situations. Got away with it today but not a recipe for long-term success. Anyway, congrats to the team for a gutty win!

Agreed, the boys again snatched this victory from the jaws of the coaching staff. The defense was nonexistent in the second half and the special teams is a still a disaster. Who is in charge of the defense and special teams? He should be fired.
You do realize we played the second half with basically 5 defensive lineman, one of which did a great job as a true freshman.

Thank goodness they played great in first half, as they were going to get worn down. It happened last week also. Spiders need Marlen Lewis healthy, for his sake and Spiders I hope he gets back to at least being able to take some snaps next week. Still have to hope Eldridge can go, though he did come back in late for some snaps.

#20 for UNH has been doing stuff like the kickoff return to everyone they play, the guy is not great, he is better. At least Spiders kept him in check for the most part in the run and pass game. Probably reason they had to throw it to the TE so much.

A win is a win during the month of November. On to Delaware, who is also very good.

Defensive line played their asses off today. No rest. Pushed all the way through. Had to play another true freshman. Have an OL playing there. Those guys are kicking ass. And coaching staff doing great work with them.

I'm so apathetic with Huesman coaching, that I actually enjoyed the game. When you don't care, all of a sudden you can enjoy just watching football again.

But I do have to wonder why other coaches make great half time adjustments while ours seem to go the other way. How does the defense play fantastic for the first 29:55 and then give up 4 touchdowns in the next 10 minutes?

Reactions: Under Center
I'm so apathetic with Huesman coaching, that I actually enjoyed the game. When you don't care, all of a sudden you can enjoy just watching football again.

But I do have to wonder why other coaches make great half time adjustments while ours seem to go the other way. How does the defense play fantastic for the first 29:55 and then give up 4 touchdowns in the next 10 minutes?
The teams were mirror images of each other statically. UNH was 5-0 in the league. They were good. We played with 4 defensive linemen for most of the game and they got worn down in the second half but made enough plays to WIN. Last I checked that's the object of the game. Spiders are in first place and control their fate with two games to go. Games swing on emotion and momentum plays. We just had enough at the end, I'm good with that. If you're going to beat up the coaching staff for the second half then give them some credit for the first half. I said after the Elon loss we'd run the table, 4 down 2 to go. See y'all in Delaware and in section 205 for the Indians.

Yeah, I think I did that.

I will say that I'm sorry that I will be out of state for the W&M game. When was this game last relevant for both teams? 2008?

The coaches do deserve credit for the first half. Absolutely. Except for the hail mary at the end of the half. Why we didn't drop back to protect the goal line is a baffler. But the issue is why do we let the air out of the ball and revert like a turtle under our shell in the second half. Did it at Elon and again today. Credit to the players, especially the defense, for gutting it out for the win. With our offense led by RU it shouldn't have been so close
Too predictable on offense.

Reactions: PalmTreeSpidUR
So predictable offensively late in game with small lead. Where has the 5-7 yard pass gone? Essentially ball control; like a run. Russ puts reins on Cosh in late game situations. Got away with it today but not a recipe for long-term success. Anyway, congrats to the team for a gutty win!
Absolutely agree. Our play calling with 3:00 left resembled a team that was up 20 not 3. We got very lucky that UNH gifted us that fumble late but we ran the same regrettable shotgun runs on first and second down on both series late in the game. Everyone knows we aren’t a power run team. Play to your strengths…trust Udinski to throw short passes and win the game on offense…don’t rely on your backup kicker to hit 48 yarders. Hats off to the players for a great win but the coaches let them down in spots today. We should never have had to sweat out a Hail Mary at the end.

Statistically dominated the game. Offense not the issue, we scored 40. Two plays by UNH kept them in the game, hail Mary and kick off return. Both could have been prevented. Yes, should have scored more but could have easily given up less.

It would be nice to dominate start to finish, but a wins a win in the CAA. Especially when it was against the 1st place team. WM only beat Hampton by 6 today.

O'Connor had some huge plays today defensively. The turnover was big but he made several open field solo tackles that were going to turn into points if he didn't make the tackle.

As far as offense goes. I worry we can't run the ball when we have to at times. That and our WRs and RBs need to do a better job blocking. Left a few first downs off the table today because of poor blocking from them.

One more win and we're in the playoffs. 2 more wins and we could be in for something special, setting ourselves up for a first round bye.

Last edited:
Agreed, the boys again snatched this victory from the jaws of the coaching staff. The defense was nonexistent in the second half and the special teams is a still a disaster. Who is in charge of the defense and special teams? He should be fired.
Our defense was exhausted, and had a number of starters either hurt, or not playing at all.
The Hail Mary, I think hurt the moral more than we can imagine. New Hampshire is a good team
and they got psyched by the. Hail Mary.

Bottom line, it’s a W in the record books.

Reactions: urfan1
Our defense was exhausted, and had a number of starters either hurt, or not playing at all.
The Hail Mary, I think hurt the moral more than we can imagine. New Hampshire is a good team
and they got psyched by the. Hail Mary.

Bottom line, it’s a W in the record books.
I agree that the defense was exhausted and missing some key pieces. That said, they played well enough to win. You take away the kick return and poor coverage at the end of the first half and we win going away. I don't understand why we try and sit on small leads. We get so conservative on offense down the stretch. It looks like we are playing not to lose instead of playing to win. You have a top notch QB and really good receivers who can execute the short passing game. Use them!

I'm very happy with the win. We are right where we need to be. Go Spiders! Beat Delaware!

Kudos to Coach Cost for showing a new short yardage package with Webb running the Wildcat. Gives opposing teams something else to game plan for moving forward. It was also a thing of beauty to see the jumbo package with 77 in game as extra tackle and go to flea flicker for a big play touchdown. We tend to talk a lot about what we do wrong but a lot of creativity in our offense and light years from Durden!

I had a blast. Great tailgate, great weather, great game.

At some point it's incumbent on our fans to show up. Quit blaming marketing, etc. Our fans know when the games are. They are affordable, plenty of convenient parking, reasonably priced concessions, good kickoff times. You shouldn't have to have your butt kissed to go to a game.

BTW, I loved the pace of the game. I go to FBS games all the time and there were probably about 15 fewer commercial breaks at the UR game than at one televised on a national network, or the ones I attend.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT