ADVERTISEMENT

2022 Richmond Spiders Football - Prologue - Elon

Villanova last year. Elon this year. Russ doesn’t win close games against solid teams. We don’t have a coaching advantage and we aren’t talented enough to overcome that. I really like Udinski and these rbs and wrs but even they can’t overcome this mediocrity. We are going to waste this qb and an opportunity to make the playoffs in a watered down CAA this year. May sound knee jerk right after a loss but what has Russ shown in his tenure here other than the inability to out coach and beat good/solid teams?

4th quarter up 3, even a high school coach would kick a FG with the time remaining. Truly amazing. RH needs a percentage to win/lose card on 4th down inside the 10.

Reactions: SpiderK
Good job wasting a timeout to try to ice the kicker. You won't need that to try to win the game after he makes it.
I thought the run on 3rd down at the end of the game was a really bad call. I thought the decision not to kick to extend the lead to 6 was a really bad call.

But the TO to ice the kicker when we only had 2 timeouts, taking us to 1 when we would have 42 seconds to drive the field for a fg was a blunder. 100 percent, inarguably the wrong call. Listening in the radio I could not believe it.

I thought the run on 3rd down at the end of the game was a really bad call. I thought the decision not to kick to extend the lead to 6 was a really bad call.

But the TO to ice the kicker when we only had 2 timeouts, taking us to 1 when we would have 42 seconds to drive the field for a fg was a blunder. 100 percent, inarguably the wrong call. Listening in the radio I could not believe it.
Agree with all your points - could not have made worst calls if I was the coach. Many bad calls in succession

Huesman needs to take responsibility for his stupid play.
At least he has all the recent years of playoff appearances to show that he’s a really good coach and it’s all these different players that keep consistently messing up his perfect game plans.

On the 2, stuffed for 5 yard loss, ran again no gain, 3rd down same play, no gain, repeating the same thing over and over again.…well you know. This team has all the players to make playoffs. With RH, no chance.

On the 2, stuffed for 5 yard loss, ran again no gain, 3rd down same play, no gain, repeating the same thing over and over again.…well you know. This team has all the players to make playoffs. With RH, no chance.
Conventional conservative wisdom says to run the football in down there except we don't have the horses or scheme to do that. Same thing on all the 3rd and 4th and 1 runs. I think we're something like 1 for 7 on 4th down conversions. We're successful on better than 75% of our pass attempts. I don't understand why after driving the ball 75 yards we get away from that. It's mind boggling to me. We had them beat.

Is there a link to Russ post game? Can’t wait to see what “Golly Gee, I need to coach better” excuse he comes up with after this one.

Reactions: Eight Legger
Bring back Hightower as a player or as head coach. He knows how to score a TD when it is first and goal on the 3 yard line.

Conventional conservative wisdom says to run the football in down there except we don't have the horses or scheme to do that. Same thing on all the 3rd and 4th and 1 runs. I think we're something like 1 for 7 on 4th down conversions. We're successful on better than 75% of our pass attempts. I don't understand why after driving the ball 75 yards we get away from that. It's mind boggling to me. We had them beat.
Need power back in those situations or think outside the box and go "Fridge" with a TE or lineman in the backfield. Power football in those situations rather than patty cake calls.

If it ain't working, quit calling it.

Why with first and goal from the 3, we do not go under center or add a second TE or lineman for blocking
and as a result loses 4 and play calling heads south from that point on. We do not still have a good short yardage
offense.

Reactions: Under Center
Why with first and goal from the 3, we do not go under center or add a second TE or lineman for blocking
and as a result loses 4 and play calling heads south from that point on. We do not still have a good short yardage
offense.
We have a great short yard offense between the 5 yard lines. From the 5 in, we suck.

Reactions: Gallipoli
Wow. Crazy how so many of you guys flock to this thread after a loss that stings so much. Crickets after the SB win. But whatever. How many of you guys played for this program? Genuinely curious. Whole lot of people have a lot of balls to start calling out college kids for how they’re performing on Saturday’s. None of you feel worse than them! Seriously. I’ll talk particularly about the kicker… have any of you made that kick/kicks? Probably not. There’s a lot of things that need to be fixed with this ‘22 football team. Play calling, tackling, execution on special teams, and a lot more. They’re going to get up and practice Tuesday morning and give it all they got then go to class. Is everyone on here doing the same?? Have a whole lot of faith in this team and again, I promise they feel worse than we do. Stop being silly calling out the college kids and coaches.

Reactions: ncspiderfan
Take the sure points with a FG and put the pressure on their offense.. THEN, show confidence in your defense. If you are going to treat it as 4 down territory, talk with your offensive coordinator first. If Cosh had been aware of Huesman's plans to go for it on 4th down, he would have been more aggressive in play ca.ling. The third down looked like a 2 tight end set and they were positioning for a FG.

Should’ve thrown out of double tight. Would’ve been beautiful.

I think my reading of this thread is that Huesman is taking the criticism, not the players. They played hard, no criticism there.
And in regards to the coach, it’s easy playing Monday morning QB. From what I hear, the guy genuinely cares about his guys and putting them in a place to succeed post college ball

Wow. Crazy how so many of you guys flock to this thread after a loss that stings so much. Crickets after the SB win. But whatever. How many of you guys played for this program? Genuinely curious. Whole lot of people have a lot of balls to start calling out college kids for how they’re performing on Saturday’s. None of you feel worse than them! Seriously. I’ll talk particularly about the kicker… have any of you made that kick/kicks? Probably not. There’s a lot of things that need to be fixed with this ‘22 football team. Play calling, tackling, execution on special teams, and a lot more. They’re going to get up and practice Tuesday morning and give it all they got then go to class. Is everyone on here doing the same?? Have a whole lot of faith in this team and again, I promise they feel worse than we do. Stop being silly calling out the college kids and coaches.
We love the players. Some of us were around when we went 0-10 one year. This is a very good team. Huesman has one shot to make a really good showing. He had an NFL caliber QB and a very good offense his first year. The team way under performed. Udinski is probably the best QB in the state. We have top flight receivers. This loss is on him. He has to make the decisions. Even our radio announcers were caught off guard.

And in regards to the coach, it’s easy playing Monday morning QB. From what I hear, the guy genuinely cares about his guys and putting them in a place to succeed post college ball
Russ is a good man who cares for his players, no doubt. But his a-- puckers up at crunch time and he plays not to lose. This is not the first time this has happened.

We love the players. Some of us were around when we went 0-10 one year. This is a very good team. Huesman has one shot to make a really good showing. He had an NFL caliber QB and a very good offense his first year. The team way under performed. Udinski is probably the best QB in the state. We have top flight receivers. This loss is on him. He has to make the decisions. Even our radio announcers were caught off guard.
Fair points. The defense his first year I believe had a lot of guys in a lot of spots that didn’t fit. Don’t think the lack of scoring was the issue. That said, adjusting the defense you ran at UTC to your personnel at UR is a very valid argument. In regard to the play calling on 4th down, he can’t win with us. Last year against Villanova we kicked in that same exact spot and when Nova scored twice we bashed him for not going up 17. Now today when he goes to go up 10 and we don’t get it, we bash him again. Have no doubt in my mind that he went right back to that decision at Nova he owned. That’s where that call came today

Russ is a good man who cares for his players, no doubt. But his a-- puckers up at crunch time and he plays not to lose. This is not the first time this has happened.
I’ll point you to Nova last year. Probably bashed him for not going for it on 4th down when the spides kicked a FG to go up 13. His mind went to that today. Very similar spot. Easy to criticize when it goes the wrong way

Larson 5-10 fg for the year. Pathetic
Just for the record, didn't you say Kyle Lauletta had a noodle arm? Since he was drafted in the 4th round by the Giants, your endorsement is a pretty good indication that Larson has a bright future.

Last edited:
Players don't lose games. Coaches do. Larsen is the best kicker we have had at UR in a long time. One of these guys said Kyle Lauletta had a noodle arm. Another challenged the first to a Mano-a-mano fight.
Fair points again. Totally understand that players and coaches deserve criticism when do. Some posters are just ridiculous with their expectations when we don’t truly know what it takes to compete at the level we are

I’ll point you to Nova last year. Probably bashed him for not going for it on 4th down when the spides kicked a FG to go up 13. His mind went to that today. Very similar spot. Easy to criticize when it goes the wrong way
I criticized him long before we lost after the debacle at the goal line.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT