March 29 – Matthew Nunes, Fr., G, Virginia

HOT SHOTS

#1 Connor Shellenberger​

#26 Griffin Schutz​

#24 Payton Cormier​

#10 Xander Dickson

Last edited:

From JOC article-

….The Spiders (5-3) host No. 2 Virginia (7-1) at noon. Getting a defensive grip on UVA’s offense is the Spiders’ key. Virginia ranks fourth nationally in scoring (16 goals/game), while the Spiders rank 11th in scoring defense (9.75 goals allowed/game)…

Last edited:
Finally! Beat the Hoos - defending National Champs - Go Spiders! Big win for our program beating the number 2 team. Way to go men's lacrosse!

Reactions: urfan1

Goalie Zach Vigue had 16 saves(55%).That was BIG.​

Jared Chenoy at FO was BIG.Turned game around by winning 12.​

Chenoy(7) and Kology(6) were BIG with GBs.As were Baran,​

Lanchbury and Dunn,3 each.​

Lanchbury(4g,1a) ,Young(4g,3a) and Dunn(3g,2a) provided offensive firepower as did Madonna(2g,1a) and Phiffer(2g).​

A BIG Team W.​

Last edited:
Couple of observations. Uva was clearly bigger stronger and faster but we matched their intensity. Towards the end of the first one of our smaller middies absolutely leveled one of their long sticks. At that point the momentum of the game seemed to turn.
Goalie for UR was outstanding today. Made some great saves early forcing uva to adjust their shots which many hit the post as a result.

Very pleased with the level of intensity of this team. Made some errors, some pretty poor clear attempts at times but overall very well played game. Spiders def controlled the tempo midway through the second.

Last edited:
Board favorite Paul Queally interacted with some fans on the UR alumni Facebook page this morning, about the game and the circumstances involved with starting the program.

"Enjoyed"reading UVA message board lacrosse comments..............lots of humor from a Spider perspective................the "moaning and groaning" is epic.................

Best "most laughable" comment in that category was about Starsia needing a better announcer with him.................obstensibly thinking Starsia was announcing because the mighty Hoos were playing......and oblivious to the fact that Starsia works for the Spiders for all our home games.................

https://virginia.sportswar.com/chat-board-index/

Board favorite Paul Queally interacted with some fans on the UR alumni Facebook page this morning, about the game and the circumstances involved with starting the program.
can you cut and past for those not on facebook

can you cut and past for those not on facebook
Screen-Shot-2022-04-04-at-4-32-41-PM.jpg

Awfully convenient to blame only Ayers (Who deserves A TON of blame) when he's on the board. I was there Saturday and it was nice to see, though the board and Ayers are to blame for this which he was on and a part of. That move also cost us Bobby Ukrop who defected to VCU and coincided about with the time they started spreading to every part of the region and cost us influence in our own city.

Glad we have lax, was at the game Saturday. Played the sport myself. That doesn't mean they didn't come about in a nefarious way. Should of never dropped the sports to add lax. Should of just added womens volleyball. The horror of adding more student athletes to the school?! You know the ones who have a higher graduation rate than the student body and come back to campus all the time for events and donate their money. Who would want that?

Reactions: DTSpider
My younger brother played soccer at UR; I was on the club team my senior year, two years before it became a varsity sport. I was not happy when the program was dropped, and stopped donating for a couple years.

I don't especially care for lacrosse. But I am glad we have a team, just sorry it came at the expense of two programs that should have been maintained.

And there is no reason for us not to have volleyball, a sport that almost every intercollegiate athletics program in the country sponsors. And men's soccer as well, seeing as how boys soccer is one of the most popular sports in American high schools.

Last edited:
And there is no reason for us not to have volleyball, a sport that almost every intercollegiate athletics program in the country sponsors. And men's soccer as well, seeing as how boys soccer is one of the most popular sports in American high schools.
We are one of only 18 D-I schools that don't sponsor women's volleyball. (And yes, nearly all D-II and D-III schools sponsor it as well.)

Men's soccer is more split...208 have it, 150 don't.

• Wow
Reactions: Ferrum Spider
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT