ADVERTISEMENT

Zo

MolivaManiac

Spider's Club
Feb 8, 2004
What's his injury? Nose? Eye? Concussion?

We really missed him today. Get well fast, big guy.

Heard it referred to as an eye contusion. Did not notice him on the bench after he left for locker room.
Losing Zo would have a major negative impact on our season since he has been playing so well.

Originally posted by MolivaManiac:
Is that like a 'black eye'? Or an injury to the eyeball, itself?
I am not sure, but it could be bruising of the bone in the area around the eye. Bone contusions can be extremely painful. They did show his face and his eye was very red. He was in a lot of pain.

This post was edited on 2/8 5:41 PM by fan2011

Not passing any judgements. Just concerned and really hoping this isn't an extended loss.

I would love to see a replay of what happened. They showed one in the arena and it appeared he was in pain before he went to the ground and he wasn't hit by an elbow, which made me think it wasn't a concussion

Originally posted by MolivaManiac:
I would love to see a replay of what happened. They showed one in the arena and it appeared he was in pain before he went to the ground and he wasn't hit by an elbow, which made me think it wasn't a concussion
They showed a replay on TV where it looked like the URI player hit ANO in the face with his left elbow as he was taking a shot with his right hand. You could see the elbow make contact since the motion of the arm changed.

This post was edited on 2/8 6:01 PM by fan2011

Alonzo would have made a difference today. Come back soon, Zo, but not too soon. I know our staff will watch out for his injury. The eye is something you don't mess with.

On TV it was strange views as there was no major contact or what looked like an elbow. It almost looked like a finger to the eye or sort of glancing blow.

Hope Zo will be okay and soon. His improvement has been encouraging and without him the Spiders will be toast.

CM said they were checking him for concussion like symptoms. I watched him on the floor, he was in real pain. then when he went to the bench he swayed unsteadily (elbow kept falling off of knee)

Get well big guy!

Yeah, he was clearly hit by the Rhody player. You don't get a concussion from air.

If Zo cannot come back due to his injuries, do we pull one of the redshirts? Which one and why?

Mo, I think you are right. If the injury was so severe as to require surgery it may be necessary. I hope not for Zo's sake.

Originally posted by URFan1:
If Zo cannot come back due to his injuries, do we pull one of the redshirts? Which one and why?
Why ruin a redshirt this deep into the season. It is doubtful we're going to NCAA's...so why take away a year for a player who can hopefully contribute next year & moving forward versus getting scrap minutues this year in a few games. Does not seem like a good cost benefit.

No way we pull a redshirt if we are to lose Zo for a few games or the rest of the season.

Someone else will just have to step up. People have been begging to see Cline get more minutes, well - here you go. Want to see Josh Jones more or maybe Smithen with a smaller line-up - this is the chance. And yes - ANO was playing pretty well in terms of rebounding and some scoring in the last few games, but you have to expect at some point during the season - your going to be hit with an injury. Usually a minor one - one that might sideline a guy for a week or two. That is just college basketball. Look around the country and I would bet the majority of teams deal with it in some way. So this is no reason to even begin thinking about giving Mooney another pass if ANO is unable to go for an extended period and we somehow slide in the late part of our schedule.

Look at our own conference - Daytone kicked off 2-3 players on their team, and they are now playing with no one taller than 6-6 and have been in and out of the top 25 rankings. Same with VCU - they have lost their leader and best defender (Weber) for the season, and best player for a few games (Graham), but I don't think the expectation is that they are going to lose a bunch of games now. Even URI, had to play a game a few weeks ago without Matthews, and they were able to pull out a win vs. the Bonnies.

So yes - losing ANO would be terrible news, and hopefully its nothing too serious - only a week or two. But no way we should burn a redshirt on what might amount to be only an NIT year at best. And no way should we use this as an excuse why we lost the URI game or any future games he does not play. Someone just needs to step up and fill his shoes - plain and simple.

Agreed. Injuries, sadly, are no excuse. Ced got hurt last year and too many people used that as an excuse as to why we didn't make the postseason, instead of blaming the fact that we had too little depth that was ready to step up. I hope Alonzo is back soon, because he has really been playing well lately, but if he doesn't come back it's no excuse.

And no way should we burn a redshirt for the rest of this year. We have Jones and Smithen wasting away on the bench already, and their clocks are ticking. Might as well find out what they can do with increased minutes. As I said in another thread, I would give Jones most of Taylor's minutes and see what happens. Can't be any worse than having Taylor in there 20 minutes a game doing nothing.

Per JOC on Twitter:

Spider Alonzo Nelson-Ododa out at least a week with concussion. Will miss Fordham Wednesday and GMU Saturday, at minimum.

Tweet

No way that you burn the redshirt at this point in the season. Decisions have consequences.

I have yet to hear anyone say it was a definite elbow or what that caused the injury. I looked at replay on TV and even announcers were unsure what really happened. Did it happen on way to basket or someone coming down on back of his head
or what? Would love to hear from someone who can point out what actually happened.

it was the URI players left elbow. Kind of cleared out with it, but not enough to be judged flagrant.

Carolina - hard to tell because didn't see it in slow mo, but from the replay played at the Robins Center looked like the Rhody player with the sleeve and padded elbow on his right arm hit Zo in the face with that padded elbow on the way up to shooting because Zo reacted at that point. Refs reviewed on monitor and must have decided it was inadvertent and took no action.

Thanks as it was referred to as an eye contusion as like someone said bruised the eye bone. He did
look like he was really having a hard time focusing. I was more concerned with direct damage to the eye more then a concussion. Regardless, we are a different team with out him and CM will need some creative coaching over the next few games he is out.

How is it possible to suffer an eye contusion, and a concussion, and no foul is called, even after video replay by officials?

Originally posted by TBSpyder:
How is it possible to suffer an eye contusion, and a concussion, and no foul is called, even after video replay by officials?
It should have been a foul, but no foul was called on the floor. When you go to the monitor you have to call a flagrant foul, you can't retroactively call it a regular foul. They decided it wasn't flagrant but they couldn't give the player a regular foul at that point either.

It looked like the when the URI player was going up to score he tried to clear out space with his left arm while shooting with his right. While clearing out space he elbowed ANO in the face, gave him an eye contusion and a concussion. Should that be a flagrant? I don't know. Should it be at least a foul? I would think so.
This post was edited on 2/9 2:05 PM by fan2011

I sincerely wish him well with surgery & recovery. The replays in TV were not really helpful in figuring out what had happened. He was clearly in a lot of pain. I hate to see any player get injured.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT