ADVERTISEMENT

What is it with inside the lane shooting?

CarolinaSpider

Graduate Assistant
Gold Member
Nov 27, 2006
How many layups and close in shots can we miss? DT missed two dunks and then 4 foul shots, Terry in the second half
missed 3 point blank shots after beating his man to the rim, Trey had a layup or two he missed, TJ missed a couple of point blanks, etc.... We say poor foul shooting and only 2 3s lost us the game, but there was a lot of close in shots missed also. Don't know if it was fear of Martin the shot blocker but he was out of game for long time in first half with foul problems. This seems to be a typical situation for us in many games.

Agree 100%. We don't seem to use the backboard as often as we should.

We do seem to miss an inordinate number of bunnies. I don't want enough other games to know whether everyone is like this or whether it's just us, but I don't feel like our opponents have missed nearly this many. Not sure if it is bad luck, bad form or what. A lot of Terry's yesterday seemed like bad luck to me, but game after game I don't know that you can blame luck.

Statistically speaking we make 54.4% of our 2s. That is the 15th best in the nation. Our in-the-lane shooting is some of the best in the country.

Originally posted by whampas:
It should be better.
Just trying to give some perspective. It might seem like we get unlucky in the lane, or our shots should go down more often, but there are only 14 teams in the country that have more of their two-pointers go down then us. I think many on here get tunnel vision and try to judge our team in a vacuum. When compared to the nation we are one of the best at scoring in the lane.

Both could be true. We could be 15th best in 2 point FG % but still be among the worst at converting layups. Not saying that is the case, but there are a lot of ways to make 2-pointers. I suspect our stats at converting shots from within 2 feet of the basket are a bit lower than average.

I'd bet if you saw a season's worth of game shot chart we're good inside against weaker opponents but poor with it gets rough. How many shot rolled out Sunday?

Originally posted by fan2011:
Statistically speaking we make 54.4% of our 2s. That is the 15th best in the nation. Our in-the-lane shooting is some of the best in the country.
That's a decent figure - 15th in the nation. Too bad we're not 15th in any of the major polls.

Conclusion - 15th in the nation in making 2's is meaningless. Our 347 out of 351 rebounding rating (ESPN), our A10 record, and our overall record are more indicative of why we are right now a .500 mid pack team.

Originally posted by SpiderGuy:
Originally posted by fan2011:
That's a decent figure - 15th in the nation. Too bad we're not 15th in any of the major polls.

Conclusion - 15th in the nation in making 2's is meaningless. Our 347 out of 351 rebounding rating (ESPN), our A10 record, and our overall record are more indicative of why we are right now a .500 mid pack team.
I am just trying to say that shooting in the lane isn't the problem like many in this thread think. I am not saying we are the 15th best team in the country by any means.

Originally posted by Eight Legger:
Both could be true. We could be 15th best in 2 point FG % but still be among the worst at converting layups. Not saying that is the case, but there are a lot of ways to make 2-pointers. I suspect our stats at converting shots from within 2 feet of the basket are a bit lower than average.
The only source I know for this type of info is hoop-math. Everyone can check it out and see our shooting percentage and scoring breakdowns. It doesn't have national rankings that I could find, but I did compare us to all the teams in the A10. The site define 'Shots at Rim' as '... [a] player's field goal attempts that are either classified as layups, dunks, or tip-ins in the play-by-play data.' Based on these numbers we are the best in the A10 at shots at the rim.

FG% at rim:

Richmond: 69.9%
Dayton: 65.5%
URI: 63.1%
Duquesne: 61.1%
Davidson: 60.7%
Fordham: 59.3%
SJU: 58.9%
VCU: 58.7%
GW: 58.5%
UMass: 58.5%
SBU: 57.2%
SLU: 56.8%
GMU: 55.8%
La Salle: 53.0%

Average: 59.8%

We are the best team in the A10 at making layups, dunks and tip-ins. The only other team that is even close to us is Dayton (which is funny since we are also the 2 shortest teams). I wouldn't be surprised if we are also top 15 in FG% at the rim in the nation. Our front line is great at scoring these types of shots, much better than most of the country. Our in-the-lane scoring is not one of the reasons we haven't been very successful this season.

This post was edited on 2/9 3:02 PM by fan2011

Thanks. That is surprising, for sure. Not doubting that it is accurate, but I can't believe there are trams that barely convert half of their attempted layups, dunks and tip-ins. Crazy.

as the stats show, 2 point shooting is not our problem. defensive rebounding is the problem. some of that comes from trying to block shots. if you're a shot blocker like ANO, go for it. even if you don't get them you still alter the shot. but I keep seeing TJ leaving his feet. he's got 4 blocks on the year. put a hand up and block out. get in position to board. and guards have to get involved instead of watch our bigs rebound.

We do seem to have an inordinate amount of shots rim out on us for some reason. That stat though says we are really good at shots at the rim. I would suspect that there are a ton of shots that rim out for other teams as well, we just don't notice them as much as we notice ours.

TA in particular had a bunch against URI. He probably would have had 25 plus points had those shots fallen.

Just a bad game for Terry. Usually, he's money in the bank. Maybe Rhode Island's physicality, was a problem, maybe, just bad luck. Looking for better games ahead.

Originally posted by TBSpyder:

Just a bad game for Terry. Usually, he's money in the bank. Maybe Rhode Island's physicality, was a problem, maybe, just bad luck. Looking for better games ahead.
Um, he had a double-double. 19 points, 10 rebounds. Aggressive all game.

97, yes, Terry had a double, double, and have been surprised that no one else commented on that. I'm a big fan of Terry, but he was 5 for 14 shooting, and normally is over 50%, missing some point blank shots. He was deadly on his foul shots, however.

agreed. he missed some shots but was really tough all game. kept us in it early. I thought he was pretty great, though I know the shooting percentage doesn't shoe it.

Allen was 8 for 12 from free throw line. 67%. He has be much more aggressive and is learning where the basket is when he has his back to it. He seems to be handling the ball a bit better as of late also. Very glad to see the aggressiveness!!

While stats may say we're good at the rim, I've rarely missed a home game, and unfortunately we miss at least 4 to 5 "at the rim" shots or layups plenty of times. Some are layups like K0's yesterday when he should have used his left hand and others are like Terry's where we consistently come up short. We seem to be coming up short on a lot of perimeter shots as well lately.

All this shows is that we could have a hell of a % if we'd go strong to the rim and not shy away from contact. Wish our guys would embrace the contact because I think not doing that is causing enough hesitation that the shot comes up short or not 100% on target. And agree our guys should be dunking more particularly when they have any advantage down low. If nothing else, they'd probably get the foul called rather than just another missed shot.

Terry showed last game why there is no reason he shouldn't get 15 shots a game. Those were all great looks he had and if what he did was below average, he's going to tear it up IF WE LET HIM.

Its annoying to see us go 3-4 possessions with he and Zo only touching the ball outside the 3 point arc. Terry has a great jump shot and people have to respect that, really versatile.

And it also seems like Terry get a steal and breakaway dunk, pretty much every game now. Yeah, he had some shots rim out, but Terry has been balling. Love his game right now.

Originally posted by SpiderRick:
just dunk the frekkin' ball
it's not that frekkin' easy when there's someone near you! you think they're choosing not to dunk the ball?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT