ADVERTISEMENT

What does Khwan’s departure mean for our bb program?

Candy and nuts are back!
If only I could have generated the 1.21 gigawatts needed for my flux capacitor, we would surely have made the tourney!

We got some good news today - let's roll to the future, not a hypothetical past.

Just checked out Khwan's twitter to see if there was any info on where he might be heading next year and I found a bunch of very encouraging words between Khwan and the other Richmond players. It seems like there are no hard feelings at all between Khwan and the team, and these guys really care about each other. Great to see this type of support from team members even though Khwan is leaving.

Every program has ifs and buts, and all but 2 or 3 from our league have still made the NCAAs since we last did.

It is all past history and I am glad that J.J. Avila was able to move on. He was “suspended indefinitely due to an undisclosed violation of Naval Academy rules." Perhaps what that violation was had something to do with his non admission to the University of Richmond? The reason for his non admission has not been made public. I do realize the post about him said if he had gotten past admissions and doesn't give a reason for his non admission but his name has been mentioned on the board a number of times. His situation may have involved more than academic grades.

Last edited:
I think it means to me that now I will not have to wait until February for Cayo to replace Fore in lineup. Also for Coach please to understand rotations and evaluation to play IN GAMES AGAINST OPPONENTS not just he looks good inthe practice against same players thinkning . , , before Christmas.
My Christmas present is to be a substitute pivot plan instead of I DONT HAVE TO KNOW HOW TO DEVELOP a 5minute PIVOT I JUST GO TO THE SMALL BALL thoughts , this I think I SAY THIS IS VERY KIND OF LAZY COACH year after the year. YES VERY LAZY . maybe spending too much time on that magic defense early rotation be out of position in practice . and for my drinking please have out of bound sets that have more than 1 per son to move but not towards half court line . You forget about out of bounds last year because you focused too much on maximize the 1 minutes of pivot substitute
strategy which we know is most important.

Agree, when we had TJ we scored a very high percentage of time. I was watching a highlight video of a kid I used to coach, that is now at prep school in NEPSAC. I was thinking "wow, this team really executes some nice action of inbounds under the basket" . Player throws it in, sets a pick, another cross pick and pops out for the three as the ball is swung. I don't remember thinking that on our plays, seemed like a struggle to get the ball in many times.

Was 15 when it came out. Have watched it dozens of times. Theta Chi had an infamous Animal House party that may have ended up rolling a car down the hill and breaking a dude's leg. May have.

Was 15 when it came out. Have watched it dozens of times. Theta Chi had an infamous Animal House party that may have ended up rolling a car down the hill and breaking a dude's leg. May have.
We continued that party while I was there but prohibited car rolling and instead did stair sliding out front. Equally bad idea.

We continued that party while I was there but prohibited car rolling and instead did stair sliding out front. Equally bad idea.

One of my favorite/regrettable moments was stair diving in the on campus apartments. Friend of mine was halfway up the stairs, dove to the landing (as one does) and then bounced through the wall (cause dry wall...). Luckily there was a Jean Claude Van Damm tapestry to hang to cover the person size hole in the wall... Hopefully stair diving doesn’t exist anymore, for both the diver’s and the wall’s sake...

“Let’s all go down and p**s on the Gammy House. Till it floats away.”

Last edited:
I really enjoyed that article. thanks to ShawnDre'.
man, I love Jacob. surprised me a little. I expected standard quotes like "SDJ was great ... I appreciate his help ... I'm learning so much from him".
we did get some of that. but this gem got me:
"... when Dre comes back, it’s a competitive thing. Obviously I want to be better than he was, so any time I get a chance to go at it (with Jones), I try to.”

that's a great attitude. so matter-of-fact. "I want to be the best". that's awesome.

I also really like seeing this:

Gilyard and other Spiders marvel at how well Jones moves through coach Chris Mooney’s scheme, and how Jones mastered the defensive shifts required in Richmond’s matchup defense.

it's something that can be learned, and SDJ coming back helps teach it. this defense does work. we've seen it. but it's awful if even one person doesn't get it and doesn't rotate in time. really awful.

hopefully everyone benefits from SDJ's visits and not just Jacob.

but it's awful if even one person doesn't get it and doesn't rotate in time. really awful.
I call it brittle. It really points to a flaw in it that it breaks so easily.

You don't have to be perfect for 40 minutes to win, but you also can't have your defense break down even somewhat irregularly throughout the game and hope it won't burn you.

When it's working it's obviously quite effective though. Hasn't been terribly effective for the last three seasons I think.

I want Cayo shooting 500 free throws a day starting now.
And someone needs to work on his jumper with him. Man, it is some kind of ugly for a D-1 player. He has a good handle for a big man and can finish around the rim. But for him to be starter level material, he needs to be able to knock down some open jumpers, particularly in our system.

And someone needs to work on his jumper with him. Man, it is some kind of ugly for a D-1 player. He has a good handle for a big man and can finish around the rim. But for him to be starter level material, he needs to be able to knock down some open jumpers, particularly in our system.

I really like what I saw when Cayo drove to the hoop last season. Lots of potential there, especially if he can finish or draw a foul a little more often. I agree, he didn't show any range last year, adding that facet to his game would be great.

Fore's departure means there will be more competition for playing minutes, not a bad thing.

Reactions: Ulla1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT