ADVERTISEMENT

VS Lasalle

I don't need any enemies. We have won three games in a row. I guess we won the super bowl beating a Lasalle team that gave us a 13-0 lead. Lasalle couldn't finish the game. That's why they are 8-12.

I don't need any enemies. We have won three games in a row. I guess we won the super bowl beating a Lasalle team that gave us a 13-0 lead. Lasalle couldn't finish the game. That's why they are 8-12.
LaSalle couldn’t win at Duquesne without BJ Johnson.
They lost in triple OT.
So I don’t know why we are traveling to Duquesne.

Great thread. You need to start one for the Dukies.

Must do or what?

Resign, fired, just so he's not the head coach of the Spiders next year. Look, I want CM out but if he can get to 13-17 I would be gladly be open to him getting a chance to coach this young group another year. Though for 2018-19 it's NCAA bid or what!

I forgot we are still 6-13 time to prepare for Duquesne where the winning ends.
Ben, you must be a real joy to be around. I have never seen a positive post from you, just negative Nancy. You keep writing the team off and you have been wrong 3 games in a row. No one is happy with our record. BUT, the team has just won 3 league games in a row. Can't you just be happy for the kids who have kept the faith and played their hearts out? Cheesh!

Reactions: SpiderPride
1b36n1.jpg

That time of the year again
Ben, try these on for size. They might change your outlook. For now you are good luck. Keep up the good work.

I'm really proud of the guys today. Really enjoyed watching this game with my son; and from the point they went down 10 to the final horn, they played even better than they did at VCU. Imagine that; a Spiders team that executed better than their opponent in a close game down the stretch. We haven't seen that often over the past 7 years, so I'm going to savor this one.

I really like this group of starters, and I hope they get a better coach to finish their careers here. They have a lot of potential.

Some of us didn't forget, but they are showing growth....With friends like you, who needs enemies.
. Good offensive game by Grant though he needs to learn not to try to force too much when he is double and triple teams. He did throw some TJ like passes which is very promising.
Team is playing really well despite still giving up too many easy baskets underneath. Gilyard and Kwan really played very good defense when they didn't get switched off onto a big man. Six steals may have been the difference in the game. Great shooting by Nick. Although Cayo and Paul didn't play that long they are showing that they could help if they just would get to play more, which should have happened in the first 15 games.

I can't tell from the basketball threads, can I be happy we won?

Or is winning games still a bad thing, because if our coach wins too many games, he won't get fired?

For sure many here aren't happy when we win, or downplay every victory, while treating every loss like it is the end of the world.

Decisions, decisions. I guess in the meantime I will still want us to win, and let the people in charge of the department make their own decisions, and let the chips fall where they may.

Any other year that might be Bubble talk or at least nIT conversation. This is not one of those years.

True. I don't remember the A-10 ever being as down as it is this year. You've got Rhode Island and then every one else trying to steal a bid by winning the conference tournament. That's also why I am torn as a fan: I'm happy for these players who have put in the work for this 3 game winning streak and I expect we will win a handful or more games this year because frankly the A-10 doesn't have any great or even really good teams and our young guys like Grant and Jacob are only going to get better with experience. So what if we have a "nice" run to finish the season this year and then we come back and win 20-21 games and maybe make the NIT next season? That would be almost a decade since our last NCAA appearance. Do we stay the course and keep paying Mooney? I know a lot of posters just want to "enjoy the wins" right now but I would be interested what most of you think is a reasonable goal for next season and should Hardt make that a hard and fast goal for Mooney's continued employment?

Reactions: Not-A-Homer
The season is not over yet.

It's win the A-10 tournament or bust. Not impossible...hell maybe we will grab one of the top 4 spots and get a favorable draw...from what we've seen from the rest of the conference there really isn't a team that scares you and we have nothing to lose so we would be playing loose for sure. Maybe we can knock RPI out in the process...kind of a bizarro A-10 tournament for the Moon man.

Good game tonight. Spiders didn't fold when they got down by 9 in the second half. I'm impressed with how the team has played down the stretch the last three games. On to Duquesne. Go UR!

True. I don't remember the A-10 ever being as down as it is this year. You've got Rhode Island and then every one else trying to steal a bid by winning the conference tournament. That's also why I am torn as a fan: I'm happy for these players who have put in the work for this 3 game winning streak and I expect we will win a handful or more games this year because frankly the A-10 doesn't have any great or even really good teams and our young guys like Grant and Jacob are only going to get better with experience. So what if we have a "nice" run to finish the season this year and then we come back and win 20-21 games and maybe make the NIT next season? That would be almost a decade since our last NCAA appearance. Do we stay the course and keep paying Mooney? I know a lot of posters just want to "enjoy the wins" right now but I would be interested what most of you think is a reasonable goal for next season and should Hardt make that a hard and fast goal for Mooney's continued employment?
I think there are too many indicators that CM struggles at times. Whether it’s recruiting, coaching, scheme changes/adjustments, he doesn’t inspire a ton of confidence.

Its time for a change, if for no other reason than I think the program really needs it.

But I’m still pleased with today’s win.

Reactions: spider23
I think this was a character game and said more than the VCU win. Why? VCU never challenged us we lead from start to finish and in reality we did not have the pressure. With Lasalle we give up a 13-0 lead and in fact are losing at half and into the second half we are down by as much as ten. But what impressed me was first we did not give up and for a young team( I hate saying this) we had a ton of poise. Second we scrapped and battled, took good shots and still missed some easy shots, but once we had the lead at the end around 74-72, we did not show signs that we were going to lose this game. May be the first game we really faced a lot of adversity, that we finished and finished well.

Now if we take this type of determination forward we may surprise a lot of people. If we can win at VCU there is no reason we cannot win other road games.

Coach Mooney alluded to this very fact in his post game comments. He said he and his assistants were constantly trying to convince the guys to keep their spirits up during the losing streak. As he was talking he clearly seemed nervous about his team's success.

Lot more fun winning than losing. This game was fun and the crowd was into the game particularly in the latter part of the second half when we were fighting our way back. Players and coaches joy of winning was very evident.

For me, we must win the A10 tournament for Mooney to keep his job. The team has come a long way quickly here recently and is now playing the way I thought it would from the first game. This is why I was so excited about this group in November.

But we're still 6-13. There's no getting past that. We shouldn't have had to start from scratch in Year 13. But playing like this, we could absolutely win the A10 tourney.

Reactions: Not-A-Homer
For me, we must win the A10 tournament for Mooney to keep his job. The team has come a long way quickly here recently and is now playing the way I thought it would from the first game. This is why I was so excited about this group in November.

But we're still 6-13. There's no getting past that. We shouldn't have had to start from scratch in Year 13. But playing like this, we could absolutely win the A10 tourney.
AD and Assistant AD were sitting together during the game today.

CM must do list for me is guide team to 5-1 home record rest of way. Also go 2 ..... no 3-3 away from Robins. Both GW and GM should/must be beaten twice. And at surprising Dukes another win. Just looked this A10 preseason last place predicted team's schedule difficulty. Ranked 351st. They don't surprise me as much now.

Spiders talent lies in their 1st 6. Make it work coach! You have been at it too long not to make it happen. Surprise me!

My CM Must Do Final Tally = 13-17
Does 13-17 combined with the HOPE that we will be better next year (NIT Bubble) really enough to retain a 13 year coach with a OK?

Agree. The A-10 is so bad that if/when Rhode Island falters in the conference tournament (which frequently happens to the favorite) a team that does not belong will find themselves in the NCAA. At this point, Richmond has about as good a chance as anybody else to be the "has no business" team. Man, this guy can coach!

So what do you do with 13-17 then 3-1 losing to URI in the final?
That would mean 13-5 after 3-13. A wasted year in many ways, but likely improvement. So...?

As of now, our chances to make the NCAA's are slim to none, I surely hope that we are in that situation. If other teams in the past can do it, why can't we. We are not a team without talented players! If we do, I believe that we will be a credible candidate. Call me crazy, I don't care....I am all in with our team!!

I can’t belive we are talking about winning a10 Tourney and getting to NCAAs. If we do that, how can we fire Mooney? We need a coach that can get us to the big dance. So let’s pray to lose out so we do not make tourney, so we can get coach that can get us there!

/sarc

Last edited:
I am talking about the players, I guess you want the guys to lose so you can justify your desires just to fire Mooney. Regardless, I consider that selfish thinking. I stick to the feelings of the players.

Reactions: spiderman
I am talking about the players, I guess you want the guys to lose so you can justify your desires just to fire Mooney. Regardless, I consider that selfish thinking. I stick to the feelings of the players.

I was being sarcastic Carter. I was poking fun at the tenor of some here. The desire of some to fire Mooney seems to trump the desire for the players to win.

Reactions: gcarter52
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT