ADVERTISEMENT

Tickets

64Spider

Team Manager
Feb 9, 2009
My family has had seats in section 16 since the RC opened. Last night VCU fans somehow acquired seats next to mine. They claimed that they purchased them through our ticket office. This was one of the worst experiences in all of my years at RC and I'm pissed that it seems to be happening more and more each year. In my case the "guests" next to us initiated an argument that came very close to a "let's take this outside" situation.
From what I've read on here and also observed there were similar things going on around the arena.
The only solution UR seems to come up with is giving our fans the opportunity to purchase all the available remaining seats. Isn't that just wonderful. Our loyal fans that have invested thousands of dollars over the years can plop down thousands more to keep from being tormented by jerks from downtown.
Thoughts and suggestions?
I am willing to join anyone who wants to take this concern to our AD, Spider Club, President or whomever to find a solution.

My family has had seats in section 16 since the RC opened. Last night VCU fans somehow acquired seats next to mine. They claimed that they purchased them through our ticket office. This was one of the worst experiences in all of my years at RC and I'm pissed that it seems to be happening more and more each year. In my case the "guests" next to us initiated an argument that came very close to a "let's take this outside" situation.
From what I've read on here and also observed there were similar things going on around the arena.
The only solution UR seems to come up with is giving our fans the opportunity to purchase all the available remaining seats. Isn't that just wonderful. Our loyal fans that have invested thousands of dollars over the years can plop down thousands more to keep from being tormented by jerks from downtown.
Thoughts and suggestions?
I am willing to join anyone who wants to take this concern to our AD, Spider Club, President or whomever to find a solution.
I have always been a advocate of that. 75 year old couple having to fight with a 20 year old VDU fan over a huge sign in their face blocking the court. No one did anything about it until nearly halftime. My parents will not attend a VDU game anymore. It is now at the point where children should not be at this game. Sad.

They do a good job of getting in the building. Unlike most other traveling fan bases, they are mostly obnoxious and are pretty proud of that.

That said, it was still 80-20 UR fans, only problem was their team gave ours the kill shot about 4 minutes into the 2nd half and kept our crowd out of it.

With the new sales process for this game, if we didn't have an apathetic fan base since we haven't seen the NCAA tourney, there would be way less of them in our place.

I had a similar experience, but the drunk, obnoxious, VDU dude, was sitting in a season ticket holders seat. I hope the season holder shows up for the next game, I can't wait to let him know about his guest.

Reactions: I-M-UR and SpiderK
They do a good job of getting in the building. Unlike most other traveling fan bases, they are mostly obnoxious and are pretty proud of that.

That said, it was still 80-20 UR fans, only problem was their team gave ours the kill shot about 4 minutes into the 2nd half and kept our crowd out of it.

With the new sales process for this game, if we didn't have an apathetic fan base since we haven't seen the NCAA tourney, there would be way less of them in our place.

Spot on.

I think we should have a minimum price of $250 for season tickets returned for resale.

Ticket purchases should be "extremely vetted". Simple IQ test would work.

Some of the suggestions here sound like Trump economic policy.

If more Richmond fans thought we'd win, they'd go to the game. It really is that simple.
You saying we need a 20% tariff on VDU ticket purchases? I like the idea of building a wall better and making VDU pay for it.

Seriously though, it turned ugly in the RC last night. Not just the game, but the atmosphere. Just not an enjoyable situation when a 1/3 of the crowd is hostile to the home team and fans.

Last edited:
When entering the RC last night, a vdu fan asked if I had tickets. Told him, yes but I was going to eat them. Really good feeling having those 3 extra seats.

Last edited:
You saying we need a 20% tariff on VDU ticket purchases? I like the idea of building a wall better and making VDU pay for it.

Seriously though, it turned ugly in the RC last night. Not just the game, but the atmosphere. Just not an enjoyable situation when a 1/3 of the crowd is hostile to the home team and fans.

They have their bad apples and we have our bad apples. The place was 80% UR supporters. We need to do a better job beating them at home, period.

Reactions: urfan1
I had an entire cadre sitting behind, I was waiting for the opportunity to talk an enormous amount of smack to them, only problem was we were getting out asses handed to us on the court. My solution let's try beating them on the court, the 20% that was there would have been mighty quiet then. Until then we deserve what we get.

I had a similar experience, but the drunk, obnoxious, VDU dude, was sitting in a season ticket holders seat. I hope the season holder shows up for the next game, I can't wait to let him know about his guest.
Similar here. Had several a few rows down and 2 a row behind us giving play by play commentary the entire game...very obnoxious.

Reactions: SpiderK
You are a stinking piece of apathetic spoiled milk that should not be able to even claim you are a UR graduate much less a fan.
Sorry Bub my BA Degree reads "University of Richmond" at the top, my name below that (which I don't reveal for security reasons) having completed the prescribed course of study in Richmond College
and having satisfied all other requirements for this degree is hereby declared a Bachelor of Arts of the University of Richmond Given at Richmond, Virginia May 9, 1976

E. Bruce Heilman
President

Richard A. Mateer
Dean

My friend, who has season tickets beside me, is out of the country and couldn't attend last night. He refused to sell his tickets because he was concerned VCU fans would snatch them up. Two different times during the game, unwashed Ram fans slipped into his empty seats, and twice I got in their face and told them "Get the f**k out of the seats, they are for season ticket holders only"

When you lose 9 of 11 to your cross town "rival", you can't blame the fans. We need to compeat in the court and the fans will come. If you don't have an association with either school, why would someone choose UR? Unless you're a golfer and enjoy not having to worry about potential conflicts in March. Like UVA fans not having to worry about bowl games.

Carolinaa Spider I guess you refuse to accept the fact that the local UR fan base is slowly dying out and not being replaced by young UR grads who come from Virginia. As for the crummy state of the basketball program, the results speak for themselves...no NCAA bids going on 6 years, a pitiful embrassing 28 -50 record against our city & conference rival and a coach with a 4- 14 record against that same rival!
I graduated same year as you except my diploma has BS SBA. I was a townie and though I lived in Delaware and NC for 37 years, I make every game I can. But dynamics change and I am not obsessed with where students come from. There is a new breed of student today from when we were in school; there are a ton more distractions and entertainment opportunities. School spirit is a roller coaster ride and it is proven that even when we are winning. We need a Mike Radford type from football to lead cheers and such at basketball. But how often do you get your complaining butt to a football or basketball game? Being 5 hours away I bet I get to more then you and I still work. Usually sit in section 21 a few rows from the court with another 76er. Was close friends with Brian Marth and Bill Via who were loyal, dedicated Spiders who did not miss an event and will be forever missed. If you don't attend then then keep your opinions to yourself.

Yes I do not attend as often as you. I go to one or two football games a year. I usually go to Barneyland when our Spiders play there. I go to a couple of basketball games a year.

There is more to life than fundraising and Admissions. When the highest paid person that works at your school is the men's basketball coach there has to be some "interest" in what that person is doing and achieving.

Maybe because they aren't getting a return on their investment to the program?
Maybe. Perhaps you have P&L data the rest of us don't...

I'd still argue that in the microcosm of the vcu home game and whether or not we (regularly?) win that game, our earnings for that were maximized, the game was sold out.
There is more to life than fundraising and Admissions. When the highest paid person that works at your school is the men's basketball coach there has to be some "interest" in what that person is doing and achieving.
sure, but I highly doubt the university is making operational decisions if we go 18-14 vs 21-11. If we go 8-24 a couple of times in a row then there's more of an internal impetus to evaluate performance.

Agree. The embarrassment that we experience as fans in the constant drubbing we receive from Broad Street receives no public acknowledgement from the Administration or AD.

Addressing the hatred towards the university / ticket office ----

For at least the 2nd year, all season ticket holders had the ability to buy up to 10 extra tickets to the game for about 2 months before the VCU game tickets were available to the public. I'm not sure what more the administration can do,,, it was advertised over and over.

If you are going to complain about something - try to actually contribute to the solution first. I hated seeing all the VCU fans there last night, but I bought 8 extra tickets last fall and sold them at face value to fellow Spider fans.

However, screw the season ticket holders that sold their tickets to VCU fans.

Or not achieving

Why should they care? Because winning programs care about winning.
Again, this presumes that as a university there's a priority on winning. I'm not sure this is in the Top10 for us. I'd love it if it were, just think they are focused on very different things.

Again, this presumes that as a university there's a priority on winning. I'm not sure this is in the Top10 for us. I'd love it if it were, just think they are focused on very different things.
Not disagreeing with your assessment, sadly, just indicating why it should matter. I suspect we are both correct that they don't really care.

Id love to see the application data for 2011 and any associated spike. That might make a case.

If I'm not mistaken there was a measurable spike in applications in 2009 after football national championship in 2008, 05 may have that answer.

I bought 4 of the four packs just to get our tickets. Gave away the other games, might actually go to the Davidson game since we don't play until Wednesday. I was in Section 10 right next to the student section. Heard and expected to hear a ton of "f u" comments from the student section. VCU fans behind me gave it back. I was well behaved, age has mellowed me I guess. Pretty sure there's some exaggeration on here as far as the VCU fans' behavior.

Was VERY glad that everything was respectful when Buck went down. Every VCU fan around me stood and clapped when he came off the floor.

Great atmosphere - I'm sure Duke and Carolina have their share of "exchanges" when they play, just part of a rivalry.

I've learned now though to just support my team and enjoy the experience.

Wondering what the tourney turnouts will be in Pittsburgh as opposed to Brooklyn? Did all 4 years in Brooklyn, but excited for a little easier driving this year. I actually love Pittsburgh, huge Pirates fan and have been a bunch of times since PNC Park opened. Hope you guys decide to make the trip!

I bought 4 of the four packs just to get our tickets. Gave away the other games, might actually go to the Davidson game since we don't play until Wednesday. I was in Section 10 right next to the student section. Heard and expected to hear a ton of "f u" comments from the student section. VCU fans behind me gave it back. I was well behaved, age has mellowed me I guess. Pretty sure there's some exaggeration on here as far as the VCU fans' behavior.

Was VERY glad that everything was respectful when Buck went down. Every VCU fan around me stood and clapped when he came off the floor.

Great atmosphere - I'm sure Duke and Carolina have their share of "exchanges" when they play, just part of a rivalry.

I've learned now though to just support my team and enjoy the experience.

Wondering what the tourney turnouts will be in Pittsburgh as opposed to Brooklyn? Did all 4 years in Brooklyn, but excited for a little easier driving this year. I actually love Pittsburgh, huge Pirates fan and have been a bunch of times since PNC Park opened. Hope you guys decide to make the trip!

I can't say the same with your brethren that visit our board, but you're OK in my book.

See you in Pittsburgh. I am looking forward to that trip very much.

College applications in general have been trending upward for a long time as students have been applying to more schools, so it's a little tough to separate out different effects, but there was definitely a bump in 2012.

Applications by incoming class year:

2016: 10422
2015: 9977
2014: 9921
2013: 9825
2012: 10232
2011: 9431
2010: 8661
2009: 7880
2008: 7970
2007: 6649
2006: 5414

I don't really subscribe to the overall psychobilly freak out over vcu people buying tickets to the game. I don't love them, they really are obnoxious but that's what happens when we get wiped in our own joint.

One suggestion for the ticket office in the future: don't make the VCU game part of a four pack. Sell those tickets only as part of a full season ticket package or just before the game. There are ways to make them tougher for Ramfans to obtain.

One suggestion for the ticket office in the future: don't make the VCU game part of a four pack. Sell those tickets only as part of a full season ticket package or just before the game. There are ways to make them tougher for Ramfans to obtain.
I thought the VCU game was excluded from the 4-packs already.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT