ADVERTISEMENT

There is no Spider Club

SpiderLaw

Star
Jun 8, 2003
I saw someone ask the question about how many Spider Club members there are. Those of us who contribute are designated as members. That’s it. Many years ago there was an active club - I recall being VP in charge of membership. We had regular meetings, planned events to support teams, arranged out of town trips to follow teams, arranged gatherings to hear from Coaches and meet athletes. Many of us were enabled to meet one another. This board is not a substitute. Perhaps the biggest thing lost when the Spider Club went corporate was the loss of access for rank and file fans to the athletic administration. BRING BACK A REAL SPIDER CLUB.

Yes, I asked the guy they brought in a few years ago about where it went and how about restarting. He had no time for me basking in self importance. He is no longer on the staff. There are so many things wrong in the AD I don’t know if it can be fixed.
I read about other schools and how they engage alumni, Tech has the old guard 50 years plus grads, I recently gave my dad’s hat to my. Hokie son. William and Mary has a number of alumni groups including an Olde Guarde. Us a URonline site with the first drop down tab of donate now.
It just feels like the school has no interest in cultivating life long relationships between alumni and the school and alumni across generations. The athletic department should be leading the charge in alumni relationships. But it’s hard to build any excitement when mediocrity is acceptable and there is no hope in the future.

I saw someone ask the question about how many Spider Club members there are. Those of us who contribute are designated as members. That’s it. Many years ago there was an active club - I recall being VP in charge of membership. We had regular meetings, planned events to support teams, arranged out of town trips to follow teams, arranged gatherings to hear from Coaches and meet athletes. Many of us were enabled to meet one another. This board is not a substitute. Perhaps the biggest thing lost when the Spider Club went corporate was the loss of access for rank and file fans to the athletic administration. BRING BACK A REAL SPIDER CLUB.
I remember in the 70's and 80's going to spider club luncheons at the holiday Inn on Broad and seeing films of the previous week's football games and hear the coaches speak. Well attended and unifying. Was on the board for several years and was liason. With the baseball program.

I was wondering…

Are there still giving tiers?
And if so are there any benefits to the different levels?

While looking at tickets, I didn’t see them like I used to…

I don't know, but there are now about 17 tiers of Spider Kids Club memberships, each with some combination of between 12 and 32 different benefits, because we all wanted to go through a complicated system for our kids to get a free t-shirt.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT