ADVERTISEMENT

Spider Collective NIL

very classy. Take your damn money and go, no need to rip on the fans on the way out.
I didn't see the post, but sounds to me like he's just explaining reality. and it's probably our reality too.
like it or not, you have to raise enough NIL money to keep or attract top talent.

Yes, so far doing well over all for our position in the landscape (mid major). One major loss (Dji) and two major gains in Beagle and Dusan.

I know we need a shooter. But other major concern is some defense. Our defense was good last year. I think Tyne and Dlo are good defenders, but both vertically challenged, and can be shot over by 6'4 shooters. Dusan is a very nice pick up, especially on offense, but not sure he would provide level of D we had with Dji and Bigs?

Ideally we sign a 6'5 knockdown shooter that can move his feet and play D, but that may be asking a lot.

I do like the look of Matt Becht a lot - I think his offense can translate, not as sure about his D.

Hoping that between Tanner, McGlothin and Robinson we can have either one or two be big contributors. May need them too depending on how rest of portal shakes out.
I like Becht also, but so long now not holding out hope.

I didn't see the post, but sounds to me like he's just explaining reality. and it's probably our reality too.
like it or not, you have to raise enough NIL money to keep or attract top talent.

Yet VMI is going to play us for free! Sorry sman couldn’t resist.

Yet VMI is going to play us for free! Sorry sman couldn’t resist.
not sure how NIL relates to buy games, but back to VMI ... I want to renegotiate. VMI should pay us to come here to play us. I'd rather watch a blue/red scrimmage than see us beat a 1-28 team by 18 again.

Reactions: gospidersgo
not sure how NIL relates to buy games, but back to VMI ... I want to renegotiate. VMI should pay us to come here to play us. I'd rather watch a blue/red scrimmage than see us beat a 1-28 team by 18 again.

Doesn’t relate too much except the reality of money as u mentioned above. All things cost. Just reality.

Reactions: urfan1
Doesn’t relate too much except the reality of money as u mentioned above. All things cost. Just reality.

Tangent: went to 5 guys the other day and it cost like $80 for 4 ppl. I was pissed bc I used to go to the original 5 guys as a teenager regularly. It was next to a pawn shop. It was great. It became way too corporate.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
Don’t worry they won’t be 1-28. They have a couple of Jake Stephens coming in this year. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: spiderman
Don’t worry they won’t be 1-28. They have a couple of Jake Stephens coming in this year. ;)
lol, forgot about him. just checked. that kid transferred from VMI and put up 22 and 10 his final year at Chattanooga!

lol, forgot about him. just checked. that kid transferred from VMI and put up 22 and 10 his final year at Chattanooga!
Yeah, he was the real deal. Could have gone anywhere and been great but must have felt a ton of loyalty to that coach.

One of the nice things about being part of the Spider Nil collective is you often get inside confidential information. We are close, but no guarantees, in getting another very good recruit, which means it is time to get pumped for next season if your are not already.

The coaches have done a terrific job, but our NIL has also helped. Everyone should consider making a donation.

Yes, this portal era is treating Mooney very well so far. While I totally get that in the past he had a strong preference for building a team with freshman and developing over the years - transfers were always critical - look at Tarrant's teams (Rodney Rice, Terry Connolly, and many more that contributed to NCAA teams) and Beilein as well. Mooney avoided that, or maybe he got burned pretty bad by our admin and shied away. Forgetting the guys name we hung out to dry and eventually headed to Xavier?
In any case, we are really doing quite well in the first three years of portal kombat. On paper, this haul is really looking outstanding, with two 6'8 + guys with lots of production, and one good sized combo guard probably in top 5 rated prospects we have landed - based on HS ratings.
Also of note, really good job by Moon this past season to put the pieces together and have a true team, and not a collection of guys that are out to get their owns stats etc.

Yes, this portal era is treating Mooney very well so far. While I totally get that in the past he had a strong preference for building a team with freshman and developing over the years - transfers were always critical - look at Tarrant's teams (Rodney Rice, Terry Connolly, and many more that contributed to NCAA teams) and Beilein as well. Mooney avoided that, or maybe he got burned pretty bad by our admin and shied away. Forgetting the guys name we hung out to dry and eventually headed to Xavier?
In any case, we are really doing quite well in the first three years of portal kombat. On paper, this haul is really looking outstanding, with two 6'8 + guys with lots of production, and one good sized combo guard probably in top 5 rated prospects we have landed - based on HS ratings.
Also of note, really good job by Moon this past season to put the pieces together and have a true team, and not a collection of guys that are out to get their owns stats etc.
I don't agree that Mooney shied away from transfers. TJ and Blake were 2 of the best players we have had here. If you give Tarrant credit for Rice and Connolly ( and I agree you should), shouldn't you also give Mooney credit for TJ and Blake? We also had Wood and Yates, who were rotation guys. I don't think too many teams loaded up on transfers pre portal so I'm not sure why Mooney gets so much crap for that on here. And, Malcolm Bernard was the guy who ended up helping Xavier get to the Elite 8.

Last edited:
Reactions: KE Spider
I guess when I am thinking of the lack of transfers, I am thinking specifically of some of the lean years when we went past 5th or 6th guy we were not putting a competitive player on the floor. Could have used some guys those years, Mooney was slow to come around. Not going to look it up, but those guys were later on. I do think he got screwed on Bernard. I guess PQ and Moon did not have the clout back then to get him through? According to 80's fan that is fixed now, which is good.

I have no inside information on this, but I'd have to think we are playing with a higher NIL bank than previous offseasons. Especially evident by pulling GW3 from a high caliber program like Michigan and Apostolos from UConn. Really exciting if we can make this the new norm.

Reactions: mr.spider
Is it not 3 6’8 and 1 combo guard? Plus two frosh small forward types. Maybe Jack Grahmn will be that 4th guard

I don't agree that Mooney shied away from transfers. TJ and Blake were 2 of the best players we have had here. If you give Tarrant credit for Rice and Connolly ( and I agree you should), shouldn't you also give Mooney credit for TJ and Blake? We also had Wood and Yates, who were rotation guys. I don't think too many teams loaded up on transfers pre portal so I'm not sure why Mooney gets so much crap for that on here. And, Malcolm Bernard was the guy who ended up helping Xavier get to the Elite 8.
Want to unlike the "Like". Fat fingered. To consider Blake as among the "best we have had here" is a stretch at best.

I have no inside information on this, but I'd have to think we are playing with a higher NIL bank than previous offseasons.
Thinking the same. Money still talks the loudest for the majority. Good keeping it on the "down low" if so. No need having forum members discussing who's getting this and getting that causing trouble .;)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT