ADVERTISEMENT

Sound Familiar?

TarrantFan

Letter Winner
Oct 12, 2008
Mark Cuban on the state of the college game:

"You've got three kids passing on the perimeter. With 10 seconds on the shot clock, they try to make something happen and two other kids stand around. They don't look for anything and then run back on defense, so there's no transition game because two out of five or three out of five or in some cases four out of five kids aren't involved in the play."

NBA. - guard or forward dribbles to just beyond half court, stops dribbling and either goes to basket with as many steps as needed or throws up 3. One to two players involved on each play.

everyone is piling on the college game every day on radio, tv, the papers, saying it is broken. it seems, just like the mainstream press, someone puts out the subject of the day and that is what they go after, each guy or gal repeating it over and over. love the college game, much more than the nba game and just wish they would shut up and leave it alone. college sports do not have to look like their pro sports brethren in order to be good, entertaining. one guy on espn the other day said he hoped that the final four ended it up with mich st against duke so that the ratings would go down so that they could fix it because the college game was broken. GEEZ, get a life and quit spewing the target of the day crap over and over again.

Web, most of those national guys are promoting their station's product. The NBA product is soooooo bad and the interested audience is very small.

Yes, let's alter the college game to cater to what NBA fans and owners want. Oh wait....

IMO, the NBA and NCAABB are two fairly distinct target markets. Very few folks absolutely love both. While some minor tinkering is okay, why would you want to make the college game a watered down version of the NBA? Most NBA fans still won't watch, and it further alienates fans who only enjoy CBB. The NCAA would be setting themselves up to lose far more viewers than they'd gain.

I'm a fan of Mark Cuban--his success in business and his non PC, "ZFG" attitude is admirable in a PC world. But I really hope his opinion here doesn't hold much water in the eyes of the NCAA decision makers.

As a fan who thinks that MLB is the best professional sport and the NBA the worst - the last thing needed if for the college basketball game to more closely resemble the professional game. Change I would favor is eliminating one and done college basketball players - let them go the Moses Malone route of straight to the pros.

I also agree with spider fan but I don't even care about the 1 and done's. Get rid of 2 timeouts per team and move to the 30 second shot clock and move on. The timeouts at the end of games are the biggest problem with the game.

MM, I agree with your comment about time outs. Talk about disrupting the flow of a game! Each team gets 4 time outs per half plus you have the 4 minute "media" time outs which means there are potentially 12 time-out per half. Want to fix college basketball start with eliminating 1 time out per team per half and at least one media timeout.

Originally posted by MolivaManiac:
I also agree with spider fan but I don't even care about the 1 and done's. Get rid of 2 timeouts per team and move to the 30 second shot clock and move on. The timeouts at the end of games are the biggest problem with the game.
The last minute of a close college basketball game is maddening with the amount of time outs. You spend 39 minutes leading up to the dramatic climax and then you painstakingly draw out the last minute of competition to about 20 minutes of actual times, 19 minutes of which we spend watching players huddle up in time outs.

If you are DVR'ing a CBB game, you better add 30 minutes to the recording or you will miss the ending.

Instead of six timeouts per game give three per half like football at least use em or lose em.

I think sometimes I don't know why but I don't like him. To me he is like high school coach. It is wrong but I think but you coach the girls . I know this is the wrong idea but I still say it. Ha I do not coach anyone anymore but my little dog.

Geno is the joke. Try watching the women play when you don't have a rooting interest in the game. Brutal.

More people tune into an Iran vs Libya hockey game than one of Geno's games.

This post was edited on 4/10 7:56 PM by SpiderK

The current timeout allotment is 5 per games, one of which must be used in the first half or it is lost. I would love to see that number be reduced to 4 or even 3. Also I would love tweaking the officials timeouts to the 15:00, 10:00, and 5:00 marks would be cool, though that ain't happening.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT