ADVERTISEMENT

Re: 30 second possessions and depth

Anachnoid

Graduate Assistant
May 10, 2003
Can anyone share the NIT possessions per games stat versus regular season? There is no way K0. TJ and DJ miss end of game free throws except by already giving 110% to that point. Shows importance of depth.

the one thing i did notice was that the scoring seemed to be about the same.

My theory before the NIT was that the shorter clock would not increase scoring because teams already have difficulty getting off good shots with the 35-second clock, so how are they going to get off BETTER shots with a 30-second clock? Now one way scoring could increase is if fouls increase, which is possible. But that is not the way I would want to see scoring increase anyway.

That said, I think the 30-second clock benefits us next year, if it is implemented. Teams have less time to attack our defense, but it shouldn't really impact our offense much. I think that's mostly what we saw in the NIT.

Going into the Miami game, we were 11 possessions per game higher in the NIT than regular season. Not sure post-Miami.
This post was edited on 3/28 11:14 PM by MolivaManiac

Understand the transition to 30 seconds, but don't love it. We're an athletic, but cerebral, team. That's our counterpunch against the teams who roll out 5 poorly coached super athletes with length. The more time we have to variate the tempo of our offensive attack, the better.

I liken it to a pitcher in baseball. If his fastball is 96 MPH but his change up is only 91 MPH, he won't be fooling many hitters. If it's a 94 MPH fastball with a 77 MPH change up, it's going to be a lot tougher to get timed up. May be a bit apples and oranges, but I really do think that extra 5 seconds has a major effect on mixing up the tempo. If we're taking a shot with :02 left on one possession, then with :32 on the next possession, that is a terror to defend against. This may be my bias, but in the NCAA tourney, there were a lot of situations where athletic teams mentally blew up on D with < 5 seconds on the shot clock. 35 seconds is a sleepy pace, and a long time to think for some folks who are not used to it, so the mental lapses are expected. Did not see as many mental breakdowns late with the 30 second clock.

Whatever puts the most athletic teams out of their comfort zone, I'm all for. NCAA basketball is special, please don't turn it into a watered down version of the NBA.

This post was edited on 3/29 12:59 PM by HuntsmanSpider

I think the 30 second clock will help versatile teams that have 2 or 3 different defenses. They can mix and match them and make the offensive team waste time figuring out what they are up against. Not sure we have that versatility. We should but it doesn't really matter if you give up 15 offensive rebounds. As of now on offense we are going to run it down to the last 5 seconds whether we have 30 seconds or 45 seconds. Just the way we play. I would like to see us come down the floor looking to get it inside to our strength, which is TA and TJ for quick high percentage shots. Also if its not there TJ can distribute it. If Chris persist on playing DT and TD at 2 and 3 where we get no point production, I would like to see at least one crash the boards with TA. My real dream is that our team goes to Rebound and Box Out camp all off season. To be an NCAA team next year we will need to close our rebounds differential per game gap and get 15 total points per game out of the 2 & 3 positions.

This post was edited on 3/29 1:46 PM by SpiderK

Funny, I was looking at the NIT Semi-Final on Tuesday (Miami vs. Temple), and they were talking about Larranaga's playing career at Providence, and they were talking about when he played Lew Alcindor's UCLA team at The Garden, and the score was 98-81. That was with no shot clock, and no 3-pt. line. And now they have to have 3 point lines and shot clocks to increase scoring? I partially blame Dean Smith for this. Him and his 4-corners offense.

Interesting note: the 4 corner offense was actually invented by (drum roll, please) Chuck Noe. He called it the Mongoose offense and Lew Mills employed it against Lefty's Davidson teams a few times. This was back in the early to mid 60's.

The shot clock really came about because of how ACC teams tried to beat Ralph Sampson. Maryland, NC and others played games in the 40's to try to beat Ralph and it was pain staking to watch.

As mentioned in an earlier thread, the FC press & 30 second clock really took us out of our element. We were out of rhythm with passing and shooting, and there was less time to set up plays and metagame.

If the NCAA is going to cater to the less cerebral, more athletic teams (they probably will...) , hopefully it only requires a minor coaching adjustment on CM's part.

NCAA could make dribbling optional like the NBA did to increase scoring.

This post was edited on 4/4 3:24 PM by SpiderK

I could have sworn that the NCAA was experimenting with not calling traveling this year or at least allowing the big man shuffle.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT