ADVERTISEMENT

Putting up your money for The Cause

Richmond does just enough to put on the "act" that it cares, but that is all it is - an act. We waited forever to build on campus football stadium. It is very nice, but its just enough to say we care, but didn't go that extra mile of say something like JMU did with their stadium and training center. Even this article alone points it out - VCU built a similar center and they spent 25 million, we follow behind them with a 15 million project. Not that we need to have the most expensive center in the land, but there is a big difference in 10 million dollars.

Not trying to rain on the parade - this is positive news, but I would temper my excitement a bit. Now - if on the heels of this we decide to fire Mooney and hire a big name coach - that is sending a message.

This is huge for us and I think sends a message that is more than just putting on an act, but that we do genuinely care about the success. This is a very big step.

There is also the other renovations for football is $22 million. That is a lot of money for any school, especially a mid major. Saying school "X" spent $30 million of school "Y" spent "$40 million" shouldn't be how we look at this. Couple all this with the fact Gill "stepped down" and we hired Hardt, this school is definitely making strides in the right direction to elevate our athletic profile.

Now, with respect to coaching. This of course is the biggest piece. We can have the facilities (which we will) and we can have the administration and athletics be on the same page with letting student athletes in (which I hope Hardt is working on) but the glue that puts it all together is coaching. I've come to terms that we are probably keeping Mooney until Buck and Sherod graduate. If they don't make it to the NCAA tournament and that'll be 10 years of no tournament appearances, I hope everyone can agree that we should part ways then. Mooney definitely won't be fired this season. Next season will be interesting to see if Hardt pulls the plug if we have another big let down.

PQ isn't going to let this not get built on time after he's put his name on it.

Better or worse, the guy has a tremendous ego. He gets things done. This is an important legacy building for him.

Not saying it won't happen on time. I'm saying how better way can you take the temperature of the constituents?

We are lucky to have a donor like Queally. This is a big...and much needed addition for our men's and women's basketball programs. It has been mentioned on this board several times that Queally is firmly in Mooney's corner. I think this only solidifies that Mooney is here for a few more years if not more.
That is how I see it too.
Nothing to do with Spider Club.Hardt knows how to raise money.Did same at Bucknell.
He and Queally are simpatico and have been from the get-go.

Most expect only wooden nickels being generated for this project from the Basketball Board posters.
32, its all money for you. Does paying Money Mooney make him a better coach? Did the RC renovations make him a better coach. Very nice of Queally to put the up the money, but Mooney has gotten nice raise, charters, $ for assistants, money money money but has it made him learn how to put back to back recruiting classes together and switch defenses? Hope this helps the next guy recruit.

Not saying it won't happen on time. I'm saying how better way can you take the temperature of the constituents?
Lots of truth here. If we fail to get this done from a fundraising perspective in the next year because enough people refuse to give while Mooney is the coach, there's your justification for letting him go. Mooney is officially on the clock now. Money talks. Let's see what happens.

This new facility announcement means that Mooney isn't going anywhere. School needs 7 million more to build it and there is no way that UR will buyout Mooney with this basketball facility underway. Nice to have the facility but I'd much rather have Mooney gone.

Typical short-sightedness of youth. Mooney won't be around forever. The building will.

Great new facility - tremendous upgrades since the days of Millhiser being the only facility and baseball games played at the now location of Robins Stadium. Queallys are very generous donors following in the footsteps of the Robins. Spiders have been blessed with some great benefactors!

Just a question on how these things work. Queally is donating $7.5MM and the athletic department is looking for another $7.5MM for a total of $15MM in donations to complete the project. How much does the school actually pay for this project? If they pay anything does it come out of the SpiderClub coffers or the general endowment?

I remember a recruiting visit I saw that had players bringing a recruit to shoot around at millheiser. I loved that gym but I was embarrassed that was a gym we showed off to a recruit.

This new facility is beyond great news. It is both a huge upgrade to bring is on par with other NCAA worthy teams and also a statement of intent that basketball is important to the university.

Great new facility - tremendous upgrades since the days of Millhiser being the only facility and baseball games played at the now location of Robins Stadium. Queallys are very generous donors following in the footsteps of the Robins. Spiders have been blessed with some great benefactors!

PQ and wife are certainly tremendous donors but Robins Senior donation in 1970 of $50 million(endowment) and $10 million(Robins Center) would be worth $400 million in terms of 2018 dollars.Robins family donations since 1970 have been in the tens of millions of dollars.

Reactions: KWeaver
Just a question on how these things work. Queally is donating $7.5MM and the athletic department is looking for another $7.5MM for a total of $15MM in donations to complete the project. How much does the school actually pay for this project? If they pay anything does it come out of the SpiderClub coffers or the general endowment?
The school likely isn’t kicking in anything directly. This is the sort of project that’s easy to raise money for (unlike less flashy capital projects). It’s rare for the school to directly fund a project like this...although they kicked in a $5 million match for Robins Stadium as a condition of a $5 million anonymous gift.

Quelly has been a blessing to UR athletics. I don’t know how much he spent pulling us out of the Rocco football mess but it is greatly appreciated. However, not to look a gift horse in the mouth but, I agree with others.... I really don’t understand the value of a basketball training facility. When I was there I used to like to go shoot hoops, it was just relaxing. I would go the Robins Center whenever the lights were on and the door was left open. Most of the time Bob McCurdy was in there shooting. He didn’t like shooting in Millheiser or the Aux. Gym because the sight lines, depth perception were all so different…he wanted to shoot where he played. He had a key and cut on the lights.

Why would any player not agree with that? Also what demands make the Robins Center unavailable when players want to practice? I don’t get it. Sure other schools may have one but the RC is not being used of many other purposes.

So for me this is Quelly big bet that one more thing will make Mooney’s program better. One more t shirt gun, one more blow up mascot, one more band, etc etc. I don’t think it’s going to help. (And yes I’m sure coaches will say it helps recruitment ….what else would they say.)

This tells me instead of buying out Mooney’s contract they are going to build a practice facility, ‘that will get him over the hump’

Opposing opinions welcomed.

Part of it is keeping up with the Joneses...a facility like this is becoming table stakes. I bet they will still practice plenty in the RC, but remember we have men's and women's teams, so they'll be able to practice at the same time without needing to use Weinstein.

And of course it's much more than just a court...locker room, offices, training room, sports medicine, weight room, academic support. And that will also free up space in the RC to benefit other programs.

Quelly has been a blessing to UR athletics. I don’t know how much he spent pulling us out of the Rocco football mess but it is greatly appreciated. However, not to look a gift horse in the mouth but, I agree with others.... I really don’t understand the value of a basketball training facility. When I was there I used to like to go shoot hoops, it was just relaxing. I would go the Robins Center whenever the lights were on and the door was left open. Most of the time Bob McCurdy was in there shooting. He didn’t like shooting in Millheiser or the Aux. Gym because the sight lines, depth perception were all so different…he wanted to shoot where he played. He had a key and cut on the lights.

Why would any player not agree with that? Also what demands make the Robins Center unavailable when players want to practice? I don’t get it. Sure other schools may have one but the RC is not being used of many other purposes.

So for me this is Quelly big bet that one more thing will make Mooney’s program better. One more t shirt gun, one more blow up mascot, one more band, etc etc. I don’t think it’s going to help. (And yes I’m sure coaches will say it helps recruitment ….what else would they say.)

This tells me instead of buying out Mooney’s contract they are going to build a practice facility, ‘that will get him over the hump’

Build it and they will come.

In terms of how much it will improve player development after the players have committed? It won't improve that aspect of our program at all. The only reason for facilities like this is to attract athletes, to make it easier for the coach to sell the program. It is 100% a recruiting tool, that is all.

All aspects of college are an arms race, athletics included. The reason schools are so expensive now is that colleges are constantly building new state of the art dorms, rec centers, dining halls, or other facilities that do not directly improve the quality of education. One school decides to upgrade or add a state of the art facility to get a leg up, now everyone else has to follow suit to stay competitive, and the arms race is on and college costs are ballooning. These practice facilities are exactly the same.

People on here are constantly asking, why can't we be like Gonzaga, Xavier, Butler, etc? This training facility is a step in that direction. All those schools put a lot more money into their basketball programs, and they all have training facilities like the one we are building now. There are a lot of other aspects of those schools that make them very different from Richmond, but this is one step towards closing the gap. Some of these facilities have crazy amenities built in like large movie theaters.

Last edited:
In terms of how much it will improve player development after the players have committed? It won't improve that aspect of our program at all. The only reason for facilities like this is to attract athletes, to make it easier for the coach to sell the program. It is 100% a recruiting tool, that is all.

All aspects of college are an arms race, athletics included. The reason schools are so expensive now is that colleges are constantly building new state of the art dorms, rec centers, dining halls, or other facilities that do not directly improve the quality of education. One school decides to upgrade or add a state of the art facility to get a leg up, now everyone else has to follow suit to stay competitive, and the arms race is on and college costs are ballooning. These practice facilities are exactly the same.

Not to get too political, but I think the tax deductibility of college donations should go away.... all it's led to is overpaid and under worked faculty and staff, huge endowments etc. and spending $15 million on a facility that might help basketball recruiting what 5% or less???

I don't know if you had a chance to listen to Hardt on 950 this morning but his direct quote was that the new practice facility will be a "physical manifestation of the University's commitment to basketball". There was also a discussion of how much VCU's new practice facility has helped their recruiting. Hardt specifically mentioned that we needed this facility in order to compete with the top of the A-10. I know a lot of folks don't like to think of things in these terms but it is indeed an arm's race if you want to compete in big time basketball. Now, I'd like to see us hire a coach who is a great recruiter and can really maximize this new facility but at least the facility will be available when/if we make a change.

Not to get too political, but I think the tax deductibility of college donations should go away.... all it's led to is overpaid and under worked faculty and staff, huge endowments etc. and spending $15 million on a facility that might help basketball recruiting what 5% or less???

I think you will struggle to find a program that is "better" than Richmond's that does not have a practice facility. It has become a necessity in college basketball, and I have no doubt that it has made recruiting more difficult. I think you are really underestimating how much facilities like this can play into recruiting battles. This was a NECESSARY step to become a more competitive program, I am very surprised that there is any negativity on the board about this move.

I think you will struggle to find a program that is "better" than Richmond's that does not have a practice facility. It has become a necessity in college basketball, and I have no doubt that it has made recruiting more difficult. I think you are really underestimating how much facilities like this can play into recruiting battles. This was a NECESSARY step to become a more competitive program, I am very surprised that there is any negativity on the board about this move.

Because it pretty much tells me that Mooney is here for the duration and I don't think the program will advance under his leadership. Hope I'm wrong.

First the RC doesn't have a lot of other demands on it except graduation and events like special olympics, maybe a camp or two....it's only men's and woman's basketball. And again what coach wouldn't say facilities will help recruiting? For me it's just another excuse covering up poor performance.

It's Quelly's money and if that is the way the he wants to spend it great. I just wish the money was spent addressing what I think are the root causes of our mediocrity.

Again I hope I'm wrong.

I loved that we (as non-athlete students) were able to play ball on the robins center floor. Some of my fondest memories.

And yes, shooting at the robins center is definitely good enough. But good enough isn’t what people want. It’s the reason people buy luxury cars.

And while this basketball only facilty is certainly a luxury, it is a necessary luxury and one that almost every other competitive program has.

We’ve essentially been trying to sell 16-18 year old kids on a Camry. A Camry is a good enough car; reliable, gets you from a to b, decent gas mileage. But other programs have been selling the kids on a Mercedes, Lexus, Porsche. Is it necessary to have that luxury? Of course not, but it looks cool and feels good. Remember who this facility is aimed at selling to, 16-18 year olds. You’ve got to sell cool/luxury, not just a “good enough” training facility if you want to compete in recruiting.

I would also argue there’ll also be slightly better workout areas, recovery areas, film rooms, study rooms, training tables (NCAA allows for athletes to be provided with unlimited food outside regular dining options), etc. These aren’t huge tangible upgrades, but they still are upgrades.

It’s a clear statement we want to push forward with our program. To be honest, our facilities have been behind the times for far too long to attract the type of players we all want. Selling them on “the Richmond experience” and “a great education” just isn’t good enough with all the other options out there.

I loved that we (as non-athlete students) were able to play ball on the robins center floor. Some of my fondest memories.

And yes, shooting at the robins center is definitely good enough. But good enough isn’t what people want. It’s the reason people buy luxury cars.

And while this basketball only facilty is certainly a luxury, it is a necessary luxury and one that almost every other competitive program has.

We’ve essentially been trying to sell 16-18 year old kids on a Camry. A Camry is a good enough car; reliable, gets you from a to b, decent gas mileage. But other programs have been selling the kids on a Mercedes, Lexus, Porsche. Is it necessary to have that luxury? Of course not, but it looks cool and feels good. Remember who this facility is aimed at selling to, 16-18 year olds. You’ve got to sell cool/luxury, not just a “good enough” training facility if you want to compete in recruiting.

I would also argue there’ll also be slightly better workout areas, recovery areas, film rooms, study rooms, training tables (NCAA allows for athletes to be provided with unlimited food outside regular dining options), etc. These aren’t huge tangible upgrades, but they still are upgrades.

It’s a clear statement we want to push forward with our program. To be honest, our facilities have been behind the times for far too long to attract the type of players we all want. Selling them on “the Richmond experience” and “a great education” just isn’t good enough with all the other options out there.

time will tell how much this really helps... frankly I think winning and the exposure it bring is a much bigger draw. The part I worry about is how many years will it take to see if it really helps.

Reactions: Not-A-Homer
Because it pretty much tells me that Mooney is here for the duration and I don't think the program will advance under his leadership. Hope I'm wrong.

First the RC doesn't have a lot of other demands on it except graduation and events like special olympics, maybe a camp or two....it's only men's and woman's basketball. And again what coach wouldn't say facilities will help recruiting? For me it's just another excuse covering up poor performance.

It's Quelly's money and if that is the way the he wants to spend it great. I just wish the money was spent addressing what I think are the root causes of our mediocrity.

Again I hope I'm wrong.
Consider the problem to be multifaceted and not simple. Lack of a practice facility, an aging arena, an under performing coach, a do nothing Athletic Director, an administration that wouldn't budge on marginal student athletes, etc, etc. One by one the obstacles have been/are being eliminated. Like someone else stated, a clear message to Mooney, get the job done or you're next.

Reactions: MolivaManiac
time will tell how much this really helps... frankly I think winning and the exposure it bring is a much bigger draw. The part I worry about is how many years will it take to see if it really helps.
Chicken meet egg. Maybe it's a requirement to win. If these facilities are worthless to the process, why are there so many of them across the country?

Unlike the Robins Center main court, it can be used year-round by the players, at any time of day.

It probably will have 6-8 permanent baskets, making practices easier. Staff won't have to roll 4-6 portable baskets in the RC, no small undertaking.

It will allow the men's and women's teams to practice at the same time, thus making it easier for players to get the classes they need.

On a men's game day (for example), it will allow the women to practice anytime they want instead of having to work around the visiting team's shootaround and our own workout, and vice-versa.

It will be used during summer camps.

It will be open on days the Robins Center is in use for other functions.

It will be open in times of construction in the main arena.

If we ever hold a four-team tournament at the RC again, it will enable every team to have a convenient practice time.

Someday down the road, if we ever add volleyball, it will be a place where basketball can practice while VB is using the main court.

And yes, there is an aspect of "keeping up with the Jones."

Where I live, they built a four-level practice facility, with the women's court on the first floor and the men's on the third, with team offices and spectator overlooks on the second and fourth floors. It is in constant use. Especially during volleyball season, when access to the main coliseum court is limited.

Last edited:

I agree. Winning is the most important. And as others have stated, I don’t see this facility as a sign to Mooney that everything is ok, but instead that expectations are being raised.

I go back to a conversation I had with people at UofR when I was there about us turning down hosting the Virginia state basketball championships because it coincided with potentially hosting a home NIT game. Instead of us having free access/chance to impress some of the best players in the state, we chose the potential of a second tier post season tournament home game. This sort of announcement makes me think that our thinking has changed, and therefore our goals have changed (which as a fan base, I think we’ve mostly already had, but from the people who make the decisions and cut the checks, I don’t think we have).

I agree. Winning is the most important. And as others have stated, I don’t see this facility as a sign to Mooney that everything is ok, but instead that expectations are being raised.

I go back to a conversation I had with people at UofR when I was there about us turning down hosting the Virginia state basketball championships because it coincided with potentially hosting a home NIT game. Instead of us having free access/chance to impress some of the best players in the state, we chose the potential of a second tier post season tournament home game. This sort of announcement makes me think that our thinking has changed, and therefore our goals have changed (which as a fan base, I think we’ve mostly already had, but from the people who make the decisions and cut the checks, I don’t think we have).

Not sure what you're talking about. The VHSL picks the state championship game sites years in advance. We have hosted them previously, including having Grant Hill, Curtis Blair, George Lynch play in RC in the 1980s. Then it was just the AAA games. Now they bundle in all levels, both boys and girls. I don't think we're equipped to handle logistics of that while school is going on. The tournament ends on March 10. The NIT games are always a week later. Typically in VA the HS season ends before NCAAs start, which would include the start of NIT.

Unlike the Robins Center main court, it can be used year-round by the players, at any time of day.

It probably will have 6-8 permanent baskets, making practices easier. Staff won't have to roll 4-6 portable baskets in the RC, no small undertaking.

It will allow the men's and women's teams to practice at the same time, thus making it easier for players to get the classes they need.

On a men's game day (for example), it will allow the women to practice anytime they want instead of having to work around the visiting team's shootaround and our own workout, and vice-versa.

It will be used during summer camps.

It will be open on days the Robins Center is in use for other functions.

It will be open in times of construction in the main arena.

If we ever hold a four-team tournament at the RC again, it will enable every team to have a convenient practice time.

Someday down the road, if we ever add volleyball, it will be a place where basketball can practice while VB is using the main court.

And yes, there is an aspect of "keeping up with the Jones."

Where I live, they built a four-level practice facility, with the women's court on the first floor and the men's on the third, with team offices and spectator overlooks on the second and fourth floors. It is in constant use. Especially during volleyball season, when access to the main coliseum court is limited.
Where do you live? What university are you talking about? How many basketball courts does a 3000 student university need?

It will add to the "wow" factor. Every game when I park in lot B-3 and look across at Robins Stadium and walk to the Robins Center I think what great facilities. When the Queally practice facility is built it will add more to the first impression of athletic commitment on the part of the University of Richmond.

Mooney is not going anywhere anytime soon but don't think this rules out that sometime in the distant future .................things could change.......

Where do you live? What university are you talking about? How many basketball courts does a 3000 student university need?

Corvallis, Ore. Oregon State. OSU is a 30,000-student university, and certainly has more courts at its various student rec centers, to serve the general student body.

But it's men's and women's teams that play in the Pac-12 are the same size and have the same facility needs as UR's teams that play in the A-10.

Corvallis, Ore. Oregon State. OSU is a 30,000-student university, and certainly has more courts at its various student rec centers, to serve the general student body.

But it's men's and women's teams that play in the Pac-12 are the same size and have the same facility needs as UR's teams that play in the A-10.
so you don't go to games? you don't have to buy season tickets and sit through this torture? I've been a spider fan longer the Mooney has been coaching, heck I've been a spider fan longer than he's been alive...... and I'm not going to let him run me off but it is difficult to continue to pony up the money, time and emotion.

Plus we have absolutely nothing in common with OSU (Oklahoma, Ohio or Oregon)

so you don't go to games? you don't have to buy season tickets and sit through this torture? I've been a spider fan longer the Mooney has been coaching, heck I've been a spider fan longer than he's been alive...... and I'm not going to let him run me off but it is difficult to continue to pony up the money, time and emotion.

Plus we have absolutely nothing in common with OSU (Oklahoma, Ohio or Oregon)
You don't have to buy season tickets either.

Your point was UR doesn't need this practice facility. I disagree. UR does have something in common with the OSUs, and other D1 programs, large and small. All have men's and women's programs that need ample space to hold practices at convenient time for the athletes, and to support the other aspects of program development that make yourself competitive among your peer group in recruiting.

Have you though that perhaps this practice facility will help end what you describe as "torture?"

Looking at the enlarged renderings, I can see that the floor of the practice court is at the same level as the entry. If I recall, that is basically one story above grade, on the backside of the RC. I wonder what they have planned for beneath it. They seem to be going to great effort with a bridge from the new building to the court level of Millhiser, making me wonder what the future plans are for the old gym. From the exterior rendering, it appears there is a "dorm like" building that faces Campus Way / The green between Robins Hall and Sarah Burnet. This will make for an interesting and attractive face of the east side of the RC. The complex will fill in the views from Robins Stadium as well.

Ill probably get put on blast for this but there is way too much Mooney obsession in this thread on what this means for him or what message the University is sending to him. He inst going anywhere. Realistically they are not going to axe a coach after committing all that money to a practice facility that has not been fully raised AND with 3 million left on his contract. Its clear they do not see Mooney as a sunk cost if they are putting the money into this facility. Unless there is a repeat of this season next year, Mooney will get the chance to recruit a couple of classes.

Turning the focus on to the facility, people in here poo pooing it as not a necessity I suggest you go down to VCU and see the facility they have. Or any other school that has one. Presumably these kids are looking at basketball specific things a University has to offer. Does it matter to me how nice my practice hoops court is? The answer is no because I am not a basketball recruit. Does it matter to a 5-star, 4-star, or just a kid you think fits your program well? You bet. The Robbins center was redone nicely but that was more for the fans, and the improvements have proven pivotal to the fan experience and with increasing attendance over the years. I absolutely think this has killed us in recruiting over the years.

Now imagine if you give that same type of attention to the experience of the student athlete?

Its hard to cut corners and have a successful program. There is always another school willing to build a bigger, better facility. Now schools can't say Richmond doesn't have a basketball facility when recruiting against us.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT