ADVERTISEMENT

New York City $53 million gift card for illegals

Gallipoli

Graduate Assistant
Aug 20, 2017
The Doghouse
New York City is providing $53 million worth of prepaid gift cards to illegal immigrants. That amounts to about 15,000 per year per family. This is asinine. Why not give that to Americans?

New York City is providing $53 million worth of prepaid gift cards to illegal immigrants. That amounts to about 15,000 per year per family. This is asinine. Why not give that to Americans?

Once again, you are misrepresenting facts or need to improve your reading comprehension. The article clearly says "Asylum seekers", who by law are not "illegal immigrants". Maybe you, like Trump, do not understand the difference. Republican James Lankford and Democrat Chris Murphy hammered out a bipartisan bill that would have made it more difficult to claim asylum, but Trump directed his puppets in the Senate and House to veto it. I would need more facts to determine if I would want my tax dollars going to this program, but I would need some pretty strong reasons for not helping Americans first, so I do agree with you on that.

Once again, you are misrepresenting facts or need to improve your reading comprehension. The article clearly says "Asylum seekers", who by law are not "illegal immigrants". Maybe you, like Trump, do not understand the difference. Republican James Lankford and Democrat Chris Murphy hammered out a bipartisan bill that would have made it more difficult to claim asylum, but Trump directed his puppets in the Senate and House to veto it. I would need more facts to determine if I would want my tax dollars going to this program, but I would need some pretty strong reasons for not helping Americans first, so I do agree with you on that.
Obviously, you are missing his point that all first generation immigration since the start of WW2 has been illegal…

/s

You call them migrants or asylum seekers, but they are breaking the law. They are here illegally, hence they are illegal immigrants. Once again, you missed the point. Why should this country give food to people who are non-citizens? We now have more than 9 million of them in the US, because of Joe Biden. Do we as a country have an obligation to feed them, before we feed our own? Why not feed vets or the homeless in NY? Feel free to defend the indefensible.

Last edited:
You call them migrants or asylum seekers, but they are breaking the law. They are here illegally, hence they are illegal immigrants. Once again, you missed the point. Why should this country give food to people who are non-citizens? We now have more than 9 million of them in the US, because of Joe Biden. Do we as a country have an obligation to feed them, before we feed our own? Why not feed vets or the homeless in NY? Feel free to defend the indefensible.

You really do have reading comprehension issues. I don't get the point? I specifically said I agreed that the asylum seekers should not take priority over Americans unless there are some compelling facts that I am not aware of. And I'll say it again, the way the current immigration law reads, those who are claiming they are seeking asylum are not illegal immigrants. That's why the law needs to be changed. Read the law before you claim to know what you are talking about.

You really do have reading comprehension issues. I don't get the point? I specifically said I agreed that the asylum seekers should not take priority over Americans unless there are some compelling facts that I am not aware of. And I'll say it again, the way the current immigration law reads, those who are claiming they are seeking asylum are not illegal immigrants. That's why the law needs to be changed. Read the law before you claim to know what you are talking about.
When you claim the law, feel free to cite the relevant statute and the regs. Show where someone coming across the border can claim asylum and automatically receive benefits of citizenship, to the detriment of true Americans. Anything else is bull.

When you claim the law, feel free to cite the relevant statute and the regs. Show where someone coming across the border can claim asylum and automatically receive benefits of citizenship, to the detriment of true Americans. Anything else is bull.

§1158. Asylum​

(a) Authority to apply for asylum​

(1) In general​

Any alien who is physically present in the United States or who arrives in the United States (whether or not at a designated port of arrival and including an alien who is brought to the United States after having been interdicted in international or United States waters), irrespective of such alien's status, may apply for asylum in accordance with this section or, where applicable, section 1225(b) of this title.

The above is the section of the US Code that says any alien who is physically in the US (whether entering illegally or not) or who arrives at a designated port of arrival may apply for asylum. Once they apply, they are no longer deemed illegal. This needs to be changed by Congress since its a law. I don't know about asylum seekers receiving benefits of citizenship, and I'm not going to waste any more of my time on research you can do yourself. But I'll say it again, under current law you are wrong when you claim those who have applied for asylum are illegal immigrants.

Reactions: urfan1
Operative words..."May apply for asylum." Only time an application has been automatically approved with scant if any background checks is under Biden.

This is why we have nearly 10 million folks roaming about our country that we know next to nothing about. Most unvaccinated. Geez, logically you would believe this would be required before being released into the hinterlands.

Obama said, "Don't underestimate Joe's ability to F up anything." Smart man.

Reactions: Gallipoli
If NY is doing this, it appears to be their own choice:
Section 115 of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999 states that a person will have 'no recourse to public funds' if they are 'subject to immigration control'. This means they have no entitlement to the majority of welfare benefits, including income support, housing benefit and a range of allowances and tax credits.

Law allowing asylum:
The right to seek asylum was incorporated into international law following the atrocities of World War II. Congress adopted key provisions of the Refugee Convention (including the international definition of a refugee) into U.S. immigration law when it passed the Refugee Act of 1980.

A hearing should be held:
How Long Does the Affirmative Asylum Process Take? A decision should be made on your asylum application within 180 days after the date you filed your application unless there are exceptional circumstances.

The House refuses to act, but the Senate bill recognizes there is a problem and attempted to act to appoint more immigration Judges:
If someone is before USCIS, their estimated wait time is more than 6 years. For claims in front of EOIR, asylum seekers are looking at an average wait time of approximately 4.3 years. That said, variations may exist depending on the court where an asylum seeker filed their claim.

BTW one only has to file an application, or make a credible statement of fear:
You affirmatively submit Form I-589, Application for Asylum and for Withholding of Removal, to USCIS. The written record of the positive credible fear determination made during the credible fear screening process is treated as your application for asylum

Hope all agree Immigration law needs radically changing. Trying to turn this Administration's obvious and abysmal failures in enforcing existing immigration law against their political opponents doesn't pass the smell test.

He inherited the most secure Southern border in decades and succeeded in blowing it up overnight. Look at the stats. They tell the story.

Again, Obama said , "Don't underestimate Joe's ability to F up anything."

Last edited:
Biden has allowed more people in this country than live in the state of Virginia. Why spend funds on illegals when we should take care of Americans?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT