ADVERTISEMENT

Myrtle Beach Roll Call

my crew wants to make the trip down and back in one day -- 10 hours + driving

All in. Look forward to meeting some fellow posters who I only know through the ether.

Myrtle Beach, Sat., Dec. 6, weather forecast - 66, cloudy, 20% chance of rain. Come on down!

If anyone has an extra spot for one more in their caravan, let me know. Willing to share gas costs.

If anyone is coming back after the game and would like for someone to share the gas expenses I would love to go with you to the game. Let's go Spiders!

Hi all, my name is Jason Repak and I am probably one of if not the only Alum from both Coastal and Richmond (Coastal undergrad and Richmond MBA). I moved back to Myrtle after graduating to start a finance company. I've always pulled for both of the teams, but I have to support my Chanticleers again in only our second ever matchup. I hope many of you can get down to the game. I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how similar the two campuses are. Both are nestled in a pine forest setting with newer academic and athletic facilities of a high caliber. The biggest difference is I think Richmond may have a bit more acreage and some older buildings as well since it is over 100 years older than Coastal. That and about 100 times difference in endowment funds.

As far as the trip goes come south on I95 and when you cross into SC keep going until you hit exit 183 which is Hwy 38. Follow that until it turns into 501 and keep going until you hit Coastal. I've done the trip many many times and it should run right at 5 hours depending on stops and how heavy your foot is.

This post was edited on 11/30 12:50 PM by JMRepak

JMrepak, give us some intel on some local spots to visit for food and beverage next weekend. Also need some inside scoop on tailgating at CCU. School's website has great info but looking for an insiders perspective!

roknred, I'm interested in car pooling on a same-day trip. Email me at vaughpa@aol.com if you've still got a spot available.

Bringing 8 of us.

95 south to 501 is the best way of coming from Richmond for simplicity There are a couple of earlier exits off 95 if you don't want to drive all the way down to 501. We usually get off 95 and take back roads down to the 31 bypass. Being off season traffic will be light.

Do not stay in Conway. While campus is nice, if you spend the night there is plenty of low cost quality lodging. Many people will stay in North Myrtle and take the hwy 31 bypass to 501. Campus is 12 miles from the Corner Bar in center of Myrtle Beach. 12 miles of stop lights.

Hey Spiderjpo, the schools website is the best place for tailgating info at the website, but here is some helpful info that another fan posted on AGS:

See map: http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/...arking_Map.pdf

It says 2013, but the link is from the 2014 guide on the athletics website.

Half of lot E and all of D are closed for construction. I'd probably
shoot for MM if you are early (Baxley Hall) or HH (Science parking lot).
GG has lots of room, but it is way out there. I'm not sure how busy C
(Wall Building) gets. It feels like you are disconnected from campus
there.

Here's the link to the complete guide: http://www.goccusports.com/sports/m-...082114aaa.html

There's also a group from Coastalfans.com that tailgate right near the library and generally have a good time. They'll have some fun and boo you on the way bye, but they're good guys. Normally I hop between their tailgate and the Alumni tailgate in Blanton Park.

As far as accommodations go I agree with the previous poster that I wouldn't stay in Conway. All of the oceanfront hotels will have decent off season rates because the beach has been even slower this year than usual. As far as local food spots it depends on what you want. We have a crazy amount of restaurants because of the tourist count. If you want good fresh seafood I would drive down to the Inlet to one of the places down there like Wicked Tuna. Another place that isn't far from campus is King Kong sushi in Carolina Forest. There's also a Buffalo Wild Wing in the same area which is where you can normally find me after our games. Also, if you are staying the night and bringing your significant other do yourself a favor and check out Night of a Thousand Candles at Brookgreen Gardens. You will not be disappointed.

http://www.brookgreen.org/NightsofaThousandCandles.html

Feel free to ask anything else. I'm happy to help if I can, and I'm sorry it took so long to respond last time. I am out of town for a family funeral. Take care and Go Chants (and Spiders when they're not playing the Chants
wink.r191677.gif
)

Leaving for the beach as soon as I put granddaughter on the school bus at 8:45. See everyone there. Roll Spiders.

I'm here with my wife & my UR roommate & his date. Fortunately he lives in Mrytle Beach now. Will return to Harrisonburg after the game in order to see B Ball game Sunday. Go Spiders!

In Conway. Looks like mostly cloudy, in 60s by game time, some off and on showers. Saw Mickey Mathews in lobby last night. Pretty friendly even though I had on UR gear.

He would probably rather see a UR fan than a Coastal fan. Last time he was in Conway is when Coastal knocked JMU off from being #1

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT