ADVERTISEMENT

Kurt Schmitz

spiderdevil

Letter Winner
Sep 30, 2009
RIP Kurt, a great guy and my son's freshman roommate. Died this morning probably from complications from 6 concussions in a year or so at U of R. Freshman starter 5 years ago at center. I hope everyone realizes how brutal this game is to your body. These guys at the college level play to get a free education, its not their profession. This free college education is no cakewalk, they run into 300 pound guys all the time. 22 years old is way too soon. My heart is broken for his family. Say a prayer for them...

+1 devil, very sad day. Thoughts and prayers to his family, friends, the staff and team

completely too soon, my condolences to his family and friends. devil, this is why some are lining up to ban football and the game is changing at all levels to better protect the players.

This is terrible. Thoughts and prayers with his family and with our team. I understand Kurt was living with current players on campus.

There is just not enough done medically to insure that post concussion athletes are not monitored more closely to make sure they on the right path mentally. I hope the team can handle this well this week and deal with the stress it can bring on.

Heavy news. Condolences to family, friends, and teammates. I actually saw him play at Don Bosco as I used to be in the area several months out of the year. Was excited when he signed with the Spiders.

I know for a fact that UR has a very strict policy with concussions. Not sure concussions had any thing to do with this tragedy but just some info.

He had horrible concussions. Had headaches the last couple of years. Made school very difficult. Was a very smart kid but had to change majors due to headaches.

Strict policies, however well intentioned, are largely ineffective given how few concussive and subconcussive blows to the head are picked up by the team staff and/or reported by the players themselves. See Ohio State's Kosta Karageorge's recent tragic example (most go unnoticed and unreported):

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/ohio-state-dl-michael-bennett-says-kosta-karageorge--never-reported--his-concussions-213533152.html

The exact details of Kurt Schmitz's incredibly tragic death are unknown to the public (and perhaps everyone at this point), but football had already taken a great toll on him physically: "concussions ended his career," according to the Collegian. "Schmitz was a political science major and a three-year member of the Richmond football team. As a freshman at Richmond, Schmitz suffered three concussions that he concealed from the training staff in order to keep playing, according to a Collegian article published last April by Lauren Shute. Schmitz woke up after his fourth concussion in a hospital and struggled to answer the doctor's initial questions."

http://www.thecollegianur.com/article/2014/04/using-head-concussions-making-impact-richmond-football

http://www.thecollegianur.com/article/2014/12/schmitz

M3, we get it, you don't like football and want to see it end. If fact, I'm not sure you have much respect for the benefits of athletics at all. If you do, I have cannot recall anything you have said, or written supportive of athletics. I believe most fans would agree football is a dangerous sport. Rather than ending the sport as you seem to desire, I prefer the current approach of education, and studies to limit, or eliminate the negative aspects of the game. I think most will admit, there have been and will continue to be major changes to the game we love. The health and safety of the young men playing the game demand change, and it will occur.

we have gone from "having your bell rung" to much better care of those concussed, however, as stated by the prof, players will hide concussions, they want to play. feel as more care is taken, players are coming around and letting the med staff know and not hiding them. we don't ban automobiles because people are maimed and killed by the thousands in them each year and we should not ban a sport because there are injuries of all types.

URFan1 and WebSpinner: Sounds nice and well meaning, but your "feelings" about how things are getting better and "not to worry, we're getting right on this issue" are, in my opinion, dangerously disconnected from reality. There is enormous pressure on football players to play through pain and injuries to get to starting positions -- or to keep them -- and to maintain their scholarships. There is also incredibly intense pressure on coaches and staff to win, especially to keep their jobs and to avoid having to move themselves and their families around the country in search of the next available coaching position (unless UVA offers them millions to move like London, not typical). This dynamic indirectly and unintentionally leads to pressures on players, especially star players, to play whenever possible (i.e., see Ben Edwards after the hit he took in the N.C. State game - http://www.thecollegianur.com/article/2014/04/using-head-concussions-making-impact-richmond-football).

"I Trusted Them: When NCAA Schools Abandon Their Injured Players"
http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2013/05/i-trusted-em-when-ncaa-schools-abandon-their-injured-athletes/275407/

Finally, I knew Kurt personally. I had a class with him and continued to interact with him thereafter. It's always easier to post fluff "feeling" comments about how things are probably "getting better" than to examine something seriously and honestly that needs reform and then to do it because it's the right thing to do. That's why we try to have adults make important decisions in life. Just try sharing these fluff "feeling" thoughts about how things are getting better to his Kurt's teammates, coaches, friends, and family... Imagine how well they would be received by those who actually live this game day to day...

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2013/05/i-trusted-em-when-ncaa-schools-abandon-their-injured-athletes/275407/

Originally posted by BenM3:

I knew Kurt personally. I had a class with him and continued to interact with him thereafter... That's why we try to have adults make important decisions in life. Just try sharing these fluff "feeling" thoughts about how things are getting better...than to examine something seriously and honestly...
Talk is cheap. Why don't you man up and reveal yourself? Or do you prefer the androgynous "adult-up"? In what manner did you have a class with him? After that we can discuss your agenda.

I actually wonder if schools like the Ivy's, who invented football, will be among the first to drop it. I could easily imagine my prep school dropping the sport if the connections between concussions and deaths keep growing. I love football, and am really worried about the sport's future, if young men continue to get really injured or even killed by multiple concussions.

Originally posted by BenM3:
URFan1 and WebSpinner: Sounds nice and well meaning, but your "feelings" about how things are getting better and "not to worry, we're getting right on this issue" are, in my opinion, dangerously disconnected from reality. There is enormous pressure on football players to play through pain and injuries to get to starting positions -- or to keep them -- and to maintain their scholarships. There is also incredibly intense pressure on coaches and staff to win, especially to keep their jobs and to avoid having to move themselves and their families around the country in search of the next available coaching position (unless UVA offers them millions to move like London, not typical). This dynamic indirectly and unintentionally leads to pressures on players, especially star players, to play whenever possible (i.e., see Ben Edwards after the hit he took in the N.C. State game - http://www.thecollegianur.com/article/2014/04/using-head-concussions-making-impact-richmond-football).

"I Trusted Them: When NCAA Schools Abandon Their Injured Players"

Finally, I knew Kurt personally. I had a class with him and continued to interact with him thereafter. It's always easier to post fluff "feeling" comments about how things are probably "getting better" than to examine something seriously and honestly that needs reform and then to do it because it's the right thing to do. That's why we try to have adults make important decisions in life. Just try sharing these fluff "feeling" thoughts about how things are getting better to his Kurt's teammates, coaches, friends, and family... Imagine how well they would be received by those who actually live this game day to day...
There is a lot of truth in this post. I also knew Kurt and my son came in with him. He was a great kid. It was always good to seem him and he was polite with everyone. He always made you feel like he was excited to see you as well. He was highly intelligent but due to headaches and focus he had to get out of the business program track and in to something he could more easily handle.

BenM3 is correct that players play through injuries. My son's senior year he played with two seperated shoulders. We were thin. he had to play but he also wanted to play. he worked for years to get a starting lber spot. After the season he had two surgeries and when the Richmond staff looked at his MRI's they had no idea how he played that year. Both shoulders took 5 anchors to rebuild. It got so bad he could not open his car door with one of his arms for days after a game. He could only carry his book bag in one arm. Its tough to watch your son come of the field in tears from pain. Game after game he had to get his schoulder popped back in. At the NCSU game ha got hit and that is when he damaged the first shoulder. He also went black in one eye. Couldnt see out of one eye. Went out for one series and was back in when he got his shoulder put back in and his vision.he's not the only one. Lots of other current players played with these injuries. Some current players. It is not my place to men tion their names.

Stonesriver, who BenM3 is is his business. He doesn't have to reveal his name to satisfy you. If you dont like his post, dont read it but dont act like you have walked in these kids shoes.

Kurt will be greatly missed by many of us. I dont know the cause of death and this isnt the place to talk about it but many of us are wondering what more we could have done, if anything.
This post was edited on 12/3 11:33 AM by One putt

One Putt appreciate your comments as I was at the NC State game and there was a ton of hitting going on there. Richer, Edwards, your son, etc.... Regardless of how Kurt died,it is a tragic loss and I am more moved by the fact the pain resulting from his concussions made him have to change his goals in school and in life. I have never experienced uncontrollable headaches and cannot imagine the level of pain he must have dealt with constantly.

In another post, I suggested that we move this to the off topic area. I set-up a thread there kids, concussions and Spider football. We do not understand the pain that you are experiencing. While mourning the loss of your friend, made worse by some on this board (Ahem...SRS), you should consider your personal and mental health. You might be suffering from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. Be careful and be aware.

I suggest that we shut down these threads on the football boards. The issues are very emotional and bring forth strong responses from all parties.

I see a lot of questions about concussion "protocol" and having strong standards and I hope by sharing my experience we can clear up some discrepancies.

I played with Kurt Schmitz at UR, he was a close personal friend of mine and I am currently making arrangements to travel to New Jersey this weekend to be with his family and former teammates of mine. I will not speak to his experience but I'd gladly speak to my own.

Don't get it twisted....during the Latrell Scott regime there was a very soft concussion protocol. It was a computerized test that was easy enough to pass even if you were experiencing concussion symptoms. You were then asked to "rate" you symptoms on a scale of 1-10 (things like 'haziness', 'feelings of confusion', 'forgetfulness'....If you did well enough on both of these benchmarks you were deemed "fit to play". It was woefully inadequate and caused many issues during my concussion and other head injuries suffered by my teammates.

Aside from the 'medical' side of things the pressure to get back on the field was immense and Latrell Scott had no empathy for anyone suffering from a concussion. When I decided to sit for a few weeks to be completely sure I was good to go I was constantly pressured in a way no 20-something college student should be. I had my manhood questioned both privately and publicly by Latrell Scott and some of my less understanding and empathetic coaches. I developed a strong disliking towards this 'man' and his underhanded, scheming, humiliating attempts to force injured guys to play.

For those of you who defend Latrell Scott or want to say, "Oh but I met him at this dinner and he was such a nice guy!!" you are flat out wrong. Latrell Scott is a terrible coach and a worse person. Ask anyone who played for LS what they truly thought of him and I think you'll get the same answer. It's not fun or enjoyable for me to recall the way LS treated his players but I read so much misinformation and hear some people rally to his defense. The way he treated his injured players and the contempt he showed for guys who would sit out was beyond reprehensible.

His irresponsibility and strong-handed, ridiculous attitude caused much and more damage both physically and mentally to many former players.

His banishment from the program should be celebrated and anyone who thinks otherwise doesn't know the whole story or is drinking some strong Kool-Aid.

That's my 2 cents, roll Spiders, let's get another NC this year!

This post was edited on 12/4 1:32 PM by 3Rings1Diploma

3 Rings, I do not totally disagree with you but there are many teammates of yours who feel quite differently about LS. His time at UR was not good for him or us. He may have acted immaturely but he is not a "bad person". I cannot believe that Chris Jones, trainer, let things be handled like you said. You were there and I was not so I will give you that. I have been told by someone who i highly respect in football that UR's protocal is very tough. We really do not even know that concussions had any thing to do with the horrible situation with the passing of Kurt. I am very happy that you are going up for his service. Kurt was way too young a guy to have his life shortened like this.

Hiring Scott is another place where many of us seem to have given Jim Miller a pass. Not sure why that is. Seems like there were a lot of red flags that should have been obvious had he done some due diligence.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT