ADVERTISEMENT

First NET Rankings-#22

It's a shame our team sheet might look worse if we beat Davidson Friday. We would add a Q2 win, but one of the Q1s could change to Q3 if Davidson falls back below 75.

Right now, our quad wins are 3,3, and 8 for quads 1-3. If we beat Davidson and they drop below 75, it will be 2 ,4, 9. If they stay top 75, it will be 3, 4, 8.

Reactions: fatherspider
To anyone who suggested that having Davidson be 75 not 76 wasnt important....
https://www.google.com/amp/s/colleg...020/03/06/ncaa-tournament-bubble-watch-2/amp/

The insanity of what this guy writes is maddening. We are 2nd in the 8th best conference in the league, 24-7, with a NET in the low 40’s and this schmuck says we need to beat the 3rd best team in the country to make the dance.

if we dont make it this year we never will make it as an at large.

It's a shame our team sheet might look worse if we beat Davidson Friday. We would add a Q2 win, but one of the Q1s could change to Q3 if Davidson falls back below 75.

Right now, our quad wins are 3,3, and 8 for quads 1-3. If we beat Davidson and they drop below 75, it will be 2 ,4, 9. If they stay top 75, it will be 3, 4, 8.
The idea that this matters is mind boggling and flat out ridiculous.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/colleg...020/03/06/ncaa-tournament-bubble-watch-2/amp/

The insanity of what this guy writes is maddening. We are 2nd in the 8th best conference in the league, 24-7, with a NET in the low 40’s and this schmuck says we need to beat the 3rd best team in the country to make the dance.

If we make the finals and do not get a bid, it will be the worst snub in A10 history and one of the worst ever in the tournament.
I wouldn't put much credence in what he's writing; he's just copying off ESPN's paper. Anyone who says "I think this team needs to beat Dayton in the Atlantic 10 tournament or they are NIT bound." can be immediately ignored, and should be mocked. Beating Dayton is impossible without winning the Auto-bid. It doesn't matter who we beat in the final. To quote someone I know, "not to be a jerk...but DUH."

All we can do is play the hand dealt to us!!! Go Spiders, we stand with you!!

Agree 100%. Just thinking it is strange that a conference tourney win could penalize you so much quadrant wise. It is one thing when that happens in the regular season. That is inevitable and that will happen to plenty of teams. But, in the tourney if you beat a team a 3rd time? Ouch. That would hurt if we see a quad 1win go to quad 3. I mean, your beating them 3 times is the main reason why a team could drop a quadrant. But, you are right. It is what it is. Let's just keep winning.

Reactions: urfan1

I know we've gone over the NET for pages and pages on here but I think this is the part that gets me most upset. To the bracketology folks quads seem to be all that matters (quad 1 specifically). Hopefully the selection committee is much more nuanced, and I think they will be.

I think of our position from a week ago. We had 2 top 100 opponents back to back staring us in the face. With all the pressure on us we came out and beat both pretty comfortably. I don't think most of these other bubble teams we are competing with would have won both.

But in the eyes of the college basketball talking heads we haven't improved our position and have actually slid backwards in many cases.

How so? Was it more impressive for us to win by double digits in back to back quad 2 games, or for all these other middle of the road power teams to lose continually to quad 1 opponents.

Put another way, it's insane that a double digit road win vs. a team ranked in the 80' or 90's would be seen as equal or even worse somehow than getting blown away in a quad 1 game.

Yep. Hopefully, the committee sees our 3 quad 1 wins all week and realizes why it dropped to 2 if all that happens. I don't think it would nearly be as big a deal if we went from like 6 quad 1 wins to 5. But, 3 to 2 just looks like a dramatic difference.

We're putting the cart before the horse. Davidson needs to win their second round game first.
Just in case, we should be pulling against the teams around that 75-line this weekend. That can have more of an effect on their ranking than anything else, as Davidson is idle for the next 5 days. Their rating isn't going to budge much.

My goodness, this clown did not think it was relevant to use today's NET for the article? He mentioned we beat Duquesne so this is a very recent article. If you cannot wait for the NET rankings, use the word if when talking about Davidson dropping a quadrant. And, who writes these headlights? Northern Iowa? Might as well ask if Fordham can get a bid. Northern Iowa is done.

I know we've gone over the NET for pages and pages on here but I think this is the part that gets me most upset. To the bracketology folks quads seem to be all that matters (quad 1 specifically). Hopefully the selection committee is much more nuanced, and I think they will be.
I do too. The current Quad system has only been in place two prior seasons (one with RPI, one with NET). The committee has empirically looked at Quad 1 and 2 together more, while the bracket "experts" have focused on Quad 1. The committee seems to take a broader view of what a quality win is, and recognizes the limited opportunities the non-P6 teams have. Let's hope that continues.

2019 AZ St, while a P6 program, is a reason for optimism. They had a "poor" NET and only 3 Quad 1 wins. All of those were OOC. They got no help from being in the Pac 12, which was probably rated worse overall than the A10 is this year.

I do too. The current Quad system has only been in place two prior seasons (one with RPI, one with NET). The committee has empirically looked at Quad 1 and 2 together more, while the bracket "experts" have focused on Quad 1. The committee seems to take a broader view of what a quality win is, and recognizes the limited opportunities the non-P6 teams have. Let's hope that continues.

2019 AZ St, while a P6 program, is a reason for optimism. They had a "poor" NET and only 3 Quad 1 wins. All of those were OOC. They got no help from being in the Pac 12, which was probably rated worse overall than the A10 is this year.
Whats worse is that the rankings are so F’ed up that its hard to really take stock into what is a Q1 game. So many below.500 p6 schools are Q1 games when if this horrific system werent in place no one would consider an away win at Oregon St as a great win, but there it is. Or at St Johns

Whats worse is that the rankings are so F’ed up that its hard to really take stock into what is a Q1 game. So many below.500 p6 schools are Q1 games when if this horrific system werent in place no one would consider an away win at Oregon St as a great win, but there it is. Or at St Johns
Or at Davidson.

Perhaps worth noting that we've drifted up another two spots to 23 in the RPI with the results so far today.

Feel like we may have nudged up in KenPom too, but not sure. We're at 45 right now, but I don't remember where we were at the beginning of the day.

Reactions: plydogg
Perhaps worth noting that we've drifted up another two spots to 23 in the RPI with the results so far today.

Feel like we may have nudged up in KenPom too, but not sure. We're at 45 right now, but I don't remember where we were at the beginning of the day.
47 does seem right...

I realize that our resident paid propagandist has me on ignore and loves to push your buttons, but the implication that beating Davidson next Friday could hurt us in any way is flat out ridiculous, and not because it matters, but that it was even brought up. It won't happen.

Stop and think about next week, and you will see why this is so.

Other notable NETs:
Saint Louis up 5 to 49
Rhode Island up 1 to 57
VCU up 2 to 65
Davidson stayed at 74.

First punched ticket Utah St. did not pass us - up 4 to 39.
Cincinnati down 2 to 51, even though they won. Passed by St Louis and Miss St. This is as it should be; they only won a Quad 3 game by one at home.
Oklahoma up 1 to 44 - thanks, Frogs.

Indiana dropped 9(!) to 60. A bit surprising considering the opponent. Maybe Archie should keep his mouth shut. The computers are listening.
Xavier down 3 to 43
Penn St. fell 5 to 35. I had it backwards on the other thread, sorry - this is even better, as any B1G that played PSU at home just dropped a Quad 1 game.
Auburn jumped 8 to 27.
Stanford only fell 2 to 29.
Texas down 9 to 68.

Probably the most maddening result - UCLA up 2 to 75, with a loss. This is bad for a variety of reasons. Yes, it was a close Quad 1 road loss, but now @ UCLA is a Quad 1 game for every opponent. Unfortunate side effect of Furman losing yesterday.

Last edited:
The NET w the spring forward. Updating it early today w the time change and all the games yesterday.

Stanford Net is strange to me. Not sure how u can pull that off w s 214 ooc sos and going 9-9 in league play.

Also can we start talking about Marquette. Inflated net too but on a free fall and that team should be hard on bubble.

I realize that our resident paid propagandist has me on ignore and loves to push your buttons, but the implication that beating Davidson next Friday could hurt us in any way is flat out ridiculous, and not because it matters, but that it was even brought up. It won't happen.

Stop and think about next week, and you will see why this is so.
So next week we beat NET 74 Davidson who drops to 76, then beat hypothetical NET 99 Duquesne who drops to 101, then beat NET 49 SLU who drops to 51. See all the damage it does to our resume?:)

So next week we beat NET 74 Davidson who drops to 76, then beat hypothetical NET 99 Duquesne who drops to 101, then beat NET 49 SLU who drops to 51. See all the damage it does to our resume?:)

If we do that, they can seed our 27 win, A-10 champ team wherever they they want to.

The NET w the spring forward. Updating it early today w the time change and all the games yesterday.

Stanford Net is strange to me. Not sure how u can pull that off w s 214 ooc sos and going 9-9 in league play.

Also can we start talking about Marquette. Inflated net too but on a free fall and that team should be hard on bubble.

Stanford NET is crazy. Maybe because MOV matters and they beat 14 teams by 10 or more? Ridiculous. Only 4 road wins and 6 of their OOC wins have NETs of 230 or worse. They should be on the outside looking in right now.

Until the committee needs to decide against a P6 team and a mid major and the mid-major leads in everything else...then it will be the most important factor
plydogg, don't let the disinformation campaign fool you. The committee has no reason to do that. They would just pick the P6 team in that case.
Indiana (60) is more solidly in than Texas Tech (22). Why would they need to manipulate the NET when they just ignore it?

Reactions: plydogg
Until the committee needs to decide against a P6 team and a mid major and the mid-major leads in everything else...then it will be the most important factor

Wonder if that is a “jet fuel can’t melt steal beams” level conspiracy too

Yeah, those two posts confused me.
plydogg usually saves those for the refs. :)

After listening to former NBA refs talk about how they were instructed to make calls differently in certain games to keep them close or make sure it was a one possession game down the stretch I can never trust that the conferences in NCAA do not also instruct their refs differently based on teams playing. I got the full tin foil hat on and everything!

After listening to former NBA refs talk about how they were instructed to make calls differently in certain games to keep them close or make sure it was a one possession game down the stretch I can never trust that the conferences in NCAA do not also instruct their refs differently based on teams playing. I got the full tin foil hat on and everything!
We have all known that for years. I haven’t watched more than a few minutes of an NBA game since the eighties. First play you see will be 4 Euro-Steps from the three point line to dunk. It’s unwatchable. NCAA P-5’s are certainly following in their many footsteps.

The NBA is just a tiny step above the WWE.

Reactions: SpiderK
Pretty boring day in the NET. No big movement.
Wichita St. is up 5 spots, which isn't ideal. But they won big yesterday.

The Pac-12 took some small dips yesterday,
UCLA fell one to #76. It may not be a big deal, but 10 games on other teams' sheets just moved from Quad 2 to Quad 3, and 17 games moved from Quad 1 to Quad 2.

Last edited:
Reactions: gospidersgo
Pretty boring day in the NET. No big movement.
Wichita St. is up 5 spots, which isn't ideal. But they won big yesterday.

The Pac-12 took some small dips yesterday,
UCLA fell one to #76. It may not be a big deal, but 10 games on other teams' sheets just moved from Quad 1 to Quad 2, and 17 games moved from Quad 2 to Quad 3.
Boring?
GMU 168 to 167
SBU 120 to 121
Davidson 74 to 73 (woohoo!)
;)

Reactions: nathanw19
Down one to 38 today thanks to ETSU moving up.
Unsurprisingly, very little movement. However, of note:
Gonzaga cut it a little too close last night, and Dayton has taken over #2.
Saint Mary's moves up a spot to #30 with their win against BYU. This pushes Stanford down to #31. 10 games just moved from Quad 1 to Quad 2 on other teams' sheets (mostly Pac-12 teams). On consecutive days, we've had a Pac-12 bubble team fall below a key NET "threshold."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT