ADVERTISEMENT

Do you approve of the move to the Patriot League?

Do you approve of the move to the Patriot League?

• Yes

Votes: 22 47.8%
  • No

Votes: 24 52.2%

• Total voters
Correct me if I’m wrong, but hasn’t the Patriot League slowly allowed
it’s members to grow their programs to scholarship levels of all
FCS conferences? Haven’t some of their teams played a lot of CAA
teams and won?
Maybe we’re looking at this all wrong. Maybe the Patriot League wants to move up, and they consider adding us as a step in the right direction.
Could they have offered us a concession to join their conference.?
I haven’t seen anyone put this thought out there. Is it a possibility?
Just a random thought.
Yes, they recently have allowed members to fund all 63 scholarships allotted in FCS. I haven’t found anything definitely but it appears they are also getting rid of the rule where you can’t redshirt for non-medical reasons. Those are good changes in helping the league become more competitive. They still have the Academic Index rule, which puts higher standards of admitting student athletes than what the NCAA allows. How close is it to our own university’s policy, I’m not sure.

Even with us moving to the Patriot League and Delaware leaving, I would still say the CAA is definitely better if no other members leave. The big issues with the league will still remain: 15 members all at widely different football levels, FloSports, etc. What I’m hoping W&M and Villanova to realize is that they hold all the cards. The only reason the CAA is better is because those two are in the CAA. If they decided to leave and go to Patriot, we would be the better conference both by addition of 2 good teams and CAA having subtraction of 2 good teams. If they both left the CAA and went to a conference other than the Patriot League then we may be on par with the CAA not because of solely because the CAA loses two good teams.

We shall see what happens. I would’ve felt a lot better had UR, W&M, and Villanova all left and decided to somewhere else as a package deal.

It's also about the money. The NIL requirements for competitive football teams will be astronomical. Not so much for the Patriot League. But if we get any good football player expect them to be poached by a better FCS program, like one in the CAA.
When players are poached by Bryant & Campbell, I will know things have changed…

Hallock is a snob. He thinks we are better than the CAA, but I don't see why. We can't win consistently against CAA competition.
We are 17-4 in our last 21 games against CAA competition. That's an .810 winning percentage. Seems pretty consistent to me.

• Haha
Reactions: Dr. Spidey
Correct me if I’m wrong, but hasn’t the Patriot League slowly allowed
it’s members to grow their programs to scholarship levels of all
FCS conferences? Haven’t some of their teams played a lot of CAA
teams and won?
Maybe we’re looking at this all wrong. Maybe the Patriot League wants to move up, and they consider adding us as a step in the right direction.
Could they have offered us a concession to join their conference.?
I haven’t seen anyone put this thought out there. Is it a possibility?
Just a random thought.
I have not quite figured out yet if PL changing the redshirt rule was going to happen or if it was to get Richmond.
Huesman builds his FB teams via HS (notice the improvements as his recruits began to become upper classman) but I do not know if Richmond insisted on it.

Their conference allows 63 scholarships and I think that has been a work in progress as the number went up from 60 to 63 the last time, they did it (which may be new with the Richmond move as well, idk) They also have Georgetown which I think does not offer FB scholarship, but I could be wrong.

Redshirts, developmental or medical, are allowed in PL. Not an issue.

Georgetown is a problem. Do not offer football scholarships (wink, wink), but try to make it work as best they can. It isn't. Belong in Pioneer League or D-III.

Change of subject - travel. PL involves some long bus rides to most every school beyond Georgetown. In CAA, we only flew to one NE school per season. Wonder if travel considerations were factored into our decision. Hope so. Depending upon schedule, more than one flight/season might be in order.

Another change of subject - get the distinct impression that the coaching staff was not, or only tangentially involved, in the conference change decision. If true, less than optimally handled to say the least....but I dunno.

When players are poached by Bryant & Campbell, I will know things have changed…
Spiders have not had may poached. Mustapha to Wake and on to the NFL now. Hall to Albany and now to FBS and the way he acted in the playoff game last year made me wonder even more what his leaving was all about.
Point being, the players we get are not going ot move down to lesser quality teams.

We will know more when the portal opens next year after the playoffs end for the Spiders if they make it (and lean to they will and might win a game or two) If they do win a game or two, it might be the last time Spiders make it out of first round again (Hope I am wrong), if we see a lot of transfers out.

I will give you Bryant, but Campbell is a top half PL team.

I have not quite figured out yet if PL changing the redshirt rule was going to happen or if it was to get Richmond.
Huesman builds his FB teams via HS (notice the improvements as his recruits began to become upper classman) but I do not know if Richmond insisted on it.

Their conference allows 63 scholarships and I think that has been a work in progress as the number went up from 60 to 63 the last time, they did it (which may be new with the Richmond move as well, idk) They also have Georgetown which I think does not offer FB scholarship, but I could be wrong.
Redshirt changed for Covid. Not sure if making it permanent was to attract new members, like us.

Spiders have not had may poached. Mustapha to Wake and on to the NFL now. Hall to Albany and now to FBS and the way he acted in the playoff game last year made me wonder even more what his leaving was all about.
Point being, the players we get are not going ot move down to lesser quality teams.

We will know more when the portal opens next year after the playoffs end for the Spiders if they make it (and lean to they will and might win a game or two) If they do win a game or two, it might be the last time Spiders make it out of first round again (Hope I am wrong), if we see a lot of transfers out.

Since everyone is looking at the past instead of the future, wasn’t Campbell 36-71 in the Pioneer?

Redshirts, developmental or medical, are allowed in PL. Not an issue.

Georgetown is a problem. Do not offer football scholarships (wink, wink), but try to make it work as best they can. It isn't. Belong in Pioneer League or D-III.

Change of subject - travel. PL involves some long bus rides to most every school beyond Georgetown. In CAA, we only flew to one NE school per season. Wonder if travel considerations were factored into our decision. Hope so. Depending upon schedule, more than one flight/season might be in order.

Another change of subject - get the distinct impression that the coaching staff was not, or only tangentially involved, in the conference change decision. If true, less than optimally handled to say the least. But I dunno.
Yeah, way back when this came up, as a possibility I posted in a conversation on AGS with some guys in that forum that we had to fly to Bryant next year and were home or riding a bus to the rest of the schedule. As a result, I would rather Spiders stayed put until the new schools were given a chance to see if they could get competitive, therefore I did not want Spiders to go to SoCon or PL.
I did not put in that forum but think the Spiders were among the top two or three on paper for the next couple of years and had good shots at playoffs via CAA membership via conference championships or at large.

I get not liking having any say so in who the CAA gets as a regular member, and they get a free ride to FB.
As for lining up academically Campbell, W&M, and Villanova can hold their own. That part of the explanation seems totally like administration snobbishness
Your second point is well taken. I really did not like Huesman's body language during the press conference. Kind of acted like he might have been told recently and had to have a quick team meeting to tell the players and coaches, but IDK either, just a feeling while watching it.

Think they were non-scholarship then, maybe limited, I am not sure.
My point is too many are certain they know that the strength of the CAA and PL teams will be the same in 2032 as 2022. Or think they know how different they will be.

Last edited:

With the move down to the Patriot League, I would expect our "poached" players to increase. And not only by FBS teams, but by the higher level of FCS teams. There will be a trickle down effect of NIL to FCS, but likely only in the top level to start. So think South Dakota, North Dakota State, Montana, Villanova, etc. Teams with a history of competing for FCS title and being in that top 10. Because remember - their players will be poached, but they will be able to replenish from 2 directions - FBS players moving down, and lower tier FCS (now Richmond and Patriot League) moving up.

Reactions: Dr. Spidey
I posted this on Basketball forum, but know some people might not look there - so maybe get more a football perspective over. Any concerns this is a potential move for other sports to make to the Patriot League in a few years? With the NIL money, even down to FCS football - its apparent more than ever college athletics is entering the world of the "Haves" and "Have nots". I think this move signals on the FCS football level - UR would prefer to play with more academically like-minded schools and be in the HAVE NOT bucket.

Really - the next big sport is basketball, and while that team just won the A10 regular season title - even that was not enough to get an NCAA bid. Only other sports I would consider make an impact, and it would be small - would be men's baseball and lacrosse.

But any football fans concerned this is a move down the road for UR as a whole to join patriotic league?

I posted this on Basketball forum, but know some people might not look there - so maybe get more a football perspective over. Any concerns this is a potential move for other sports to make to the Patriot League in a few years? With the NIL money, even down to FCS football - its apparent more than ever college athletics is entering the world of the "Haves" and "Have nots". I think this move signals on the FCS football level - UR would prefer to play with more academically like-minded schools and be in the HAVE NOT bucket.

Really - the next big sport is basketball, and while that team just won the A10 regular season title - even that was not enough to get an NCAA bid. Only other sports I would consider make an impact, and it would be small - would be men's baseball and lacrosse.

But any football fans concerned this is a move down the road for UR as a whole to join patriotic league?
Simply put, No.

I don’t think so because the A10 doesn’t have any of the issues the CAA had. The A10 has a lot of schools in it that UR wants to associate itself with from a school profile perspective. First, the conference is entirely made of teams that are basketball centric now that UMass is leaving. Second, the conference consists of a lot of basketball centric, private schools (St. Joes, La Salle Fordham, GW, Dayton, SLU, Fordham, etc) and some of which are small, private schools (Davidson, St. Bonaventure). There are a lot of strong academic institutions in this conference too like Davidson, GW, & Fordham. Lastly, even most of the large public schools in our conference, UR wants to associate with like GMU and VCU because of the regional rivalry.

So in summary, the A10 is comprised of many strong academics, private, basketball centric schools that play at a very high level and garner national interest. This is the ideal fit for us. The way I see it, the only better conference fit for Richmond than the A10 is the Big East. That’s the dream that we should strive for.

Reactions: urfan1
UR Football fans will be looking in the rear view mirror and wishing they had a coach of Russ Huesman's caliber.
I agree. Instead we will have to settle for a Patriot League level coach…like Dave Clawson…

• Haha
Reactions: Mo 2.0
Campbell? They’ll take almost anyone with a pulse.
Campbell only has about 2650 undergrads SF. Why would you think it is that weak. Always hear it was pretty good school, having lived in E North Carolina since 1983 I do not remember anyone speaking poorly of the institution or heard of anyone not being glad of acceptance for a family member.
Not saying you are wrong, just never heard this. Maybe I been down here so long rose-colored glasses are involved.

Campbell only has about 2650 undergrads SF. Why would you think it is that weak. Always hear it was pretty good school, having lived in E North Carolina since 1983 I do not remember anyone speaking poorly of the institution or heard of anyone not being glad of acceptance for a family member.
Not saying you are wrong, just never heard this. Maybe I been down here so long rose-colored glasses are involved.
Wht are your thought on Radford?

I agree. Instead we will have to settle for a Patriot League level coach…like Dave Clawson…
Glad Clawson made a stop here, finding another up and comer that wins 10 games in a season for 4 different D1 schools as a HC is not likely going to happen again at Richmond or any FCS level school. A great up and comer would be great if Huesman left, but that kind would probably not last any longer than Clawson did. I am not in the know, but just in watching him, I think Huesman likes it here. Put me in the camp he will be hard to replace if he leaves.

Reactions: urfan1
I have been fortunate to speak with Russ on a number of occasions, I believe he is happy here.

~90% acceptance rate, ~1000–1200 middle 50% SAT, ~60% graduation rate. Those are VCU-like numbers.

~90% acceptance rate, ~1000–1200 middle 50% SAT, ~60% graduation rate. Those are VCU-like numbers.
Wow

You just taught me something. I never had a reason to care, but since got down here people have talked the school up big time.

Playoffs - If we finish first in PL, we’ll get a bid. If runner up or less then questionable. How long that statement is true depends upon whether the PL becomes stronger than now even with us. That means realistically expansion with other quality teams.

What to watch in the next 5 years. How many playoff bids in PL and how many in CAA. 10 years gives bigger picture of what to expect.

If we dominate PL, it won’t matter if playoffs is major consideration. If academic considerations is factor, then I’m not seeing playoffs as much of a weighted decision to move.

Huesman is 64. Other than retiring, where do you think he would go?
DC somewhere in FBS would be my guess, these guys coach to 70ish all the time. I would guess if he were available, some younger offensive minded HC somewhere might want to not have to worry about the other side of the ball for 4 or 5 years if Huesman wanted to commit to that many years. Not saying Power 5, but somewhere FBS or as you said, he just retires.
Hope he has the attitude he wants to be here, and coaching FB at UR regardless of conference and retires from here after continued success when he wants. I do not see Spiders getting better at the FCS level. He hires assistants that are good enough they are getting hired away to the next level and those he hires are pretty good at developing the guys they recruit it appears.

Huesman is 64. Other than retiring, where do you think he would go?
Huesman is the best coach we could hope for, which isn't saying much. Over the last 30 years, Huesman was our worst coach. The second worst was Latrelle Scott.

Last edited:
DC somewhere in FBS would be my guess, these guys coach to 70ish all the time. I would guess if he were available, some younger offensive minded HC somewhere might want to not have to worry about the other side of the ball for 4 or 5 years if Huesman wanted to commit to that many years. Not saying Power 5, but somewhere FBS or as you said, he just retires.
Hope he has the attitude he wants to be here, and coaching FB at UR regardless of conference and retires from here after continued success when he wants. I do not see Spiders getting better at the FCS level. He hires assistants that are good enough they are getting hired away to the next level and those he hires are pretty good at developing the guys they recruit it appears.
Noone wants Huesman. Huesman couldn't win with Lauletta.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT