ADVERTISEMENT

Do you approve of the move to the Patriot League?

Do you approve of the move to the Patriot League?

• Yes

Votes: 22 47.8%
  • No

Votes: 24 52.2%

• Total voters
Doesn't bother me at all. CAA is not the CAA anymore...look who we played last year....yawn game after yawn game. No difference in so many of those teams and the Patriot teams.
CAA puts three to four teams in playoffs yearly, Patriot usually one first round loser. Richmond fans have likely seen their last NFL prospect play football at Robin Stadium. I will be shocked if Huesman can get the caliber of recruits he has in the past even if it gets them a Richmond degree. In short Richmond will likely become a yawn game for others.

I hope we do not see transfers in mass after next season due to this move.

CAA puts three to four teams in playoffs yearly, Patriot usually one first round loser. Richmond fans have likely seen their last NFL prospect play football at Robin Stadium. I will be shocked if Huesman can get the caliber of recruits he has in the past even if it gets them a Richmond degree. In short Richmond will likely become a yawn game for others.

to go to where?

Both the CAA and the Patriot League had one player drafted in this past draft.

Reactions: urfan1

Agree the impact on recruiting at the level necessary to compete for an FCS Championship is my biggest worry about this change.

Prior to the decision my impression of the Patriot League was like that of most, weak and usually non competitive outside of the conference. Then I looked at last season. The PL was just lower than the Southern in the final conference rankings. That’s not historically where it’s been, but it seems to be on the uptick. We’ll make it stronger.

Someone posted the conference ratings for 2023 in the other PL thread.

No doubt the PL will be a tougher close for our recruiters.

Go Spiders!

I don't know how I feel about this yet. I do think they should have polled season tickets holders instead of blindsiding them. I do know the CAA is not the powerhouse it used to be and the Patriot is better than it was in past.

to go to where?
Southern Conference teams or better CAA teams I would guess. I really hope I am wrong.

I hope we do not lose players, but better recruits have more options than Richmond, many were recruited by Patriot League teams and came here to play higher quality FB and get a great education.

As time has passed most Spider players have left with a conference championship or at least participated in the playoffs. I would think that is an excellent recruiting tool in a three or four bid league.

Again, hope I am wrong about this.

Once again, the idiots in the Administration are screwing the Football program at UR. They tried this crap in Jim Reid's last season. He quit and we fired the school president. A few years later we won the national championship. This president needs to be fired. There were 4 teams in the post-season from the CAA last season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dr. Spidey
IDC about leaving the CAA. It was on borrowed time. What I cant accept is the lack of public due diligence save a suggestive post from JOC last week eerily similar to 2005 only lacking similar outrage from the fan base. I have no doubt the admin made sure the move was made so there couldn't be any debate over this.

Yes the CAA is not what it once was, I was fine with leaving it too. Culturally from a FOOTBALL perspective the SOCON would of been a better immediate choice. Some more forward thinking could of brought back A10 football with a combo of UR, Fordham, UNH, Maine, URI, Duquense and Villanova. Either would of been better options of spearheading the de-emphasization of football at UR. Maybe NOVA moves to the PL and we keep the WM game and it wont be as much as a gut punch, but this is not a move as it stands that benefits the program long term.

What concerns me most about this is the potential loss of the WM game. I've already resigned myself to playing opponents I mostly didn't care about and I guess I will in the PL too, but still preferred Nova/WM over this nerdy lot were stuck playing against.

Nova hopefully will inquire about PL membership. W&M probably stuck because it is a full CAA member.

Once again, the idiots in the Administration are screwing the Athletics program at UR. They tried this crap in Jim Reid's last season. He quit and we fired the school president. A few years later we won the national championship. This president needs to be fired. There were 4 teams in the post-season from the CAA last season.
We won the A-10 men's basketball title.

We won the A-10 women's basketball title.

We tied for the CAA football title.

We won the A-10 women's lacrosse title.

We took second place in the A-10 in men's lacrosse.

We took second place in the A-10 in swimming.

We took second place in the A-10 in women's tennis.

We took second in the A-10 in women's T&F.

That's eight teams taking first or second place in their respective conferences. At a time when our academic reputation has never been higher.

Sounds as if those "idiots" in the administration have a pretty good handle on it.

We won the A-10 men's basketball title.

We won the A-10 women's basketball title.

We tied for the CAA football title.

We won the A-10 women's lacrosse title.

We took second place in the A-10 in men's lacrosse.

We took second place in the A-10 in swimming.

We took second place in the A-10 in women's tennis.

We took second in the A-10 in women's T&F.

That's eight teams taking first or second place in their respective conferences. At a time when our academic reputation has never been higher.

Sounds as if those "idiots" in the administration have a pretty good handle on it.
Lol at the basketball title. We won the regular season and then decided to quit right after which squandered a shot at the ncaa tournament. Men’s basketball is a failure unless they get to the ncaa tournament.

Reactions: Spiders4ever
People who do not care about the football program really could care less. Those of us who are passionate about it are hurt the most. The quality of the Patriot League programs and commitment to football is definitely not at the level of the current CAA or Southern Conference. I hope our alumni that will now have more opportunities to view games as the President’s letter stated will enjoy attending all those games up north!

Lol at the basketball title. We won the regular season and then decided to quit right after which squandered a shot at the ncaa tournament. Men’s basketball is a failure unless they get to the ncaa tournament.
MrSpider?

People who do not care about the football program really could care less. Those of us who are passionate about it are hurt the most. The quality of the Patriot League programs and commitment to football is definitely not at the level of the current CAA or Southern Conference. I hope our alumni that will now have more opportunities to view games as the President’s letter stated will enjoy attending all those games up north!
Wow, we never traveled up north in the CAA? where is that football power Maine exactly?

I think the point is that the entire league was not north of us. The entire Patriot League is.

What's been our average attendance over the last few years? I mean real attendance? a couple of thousand/ We are perfect for the PL

Reactions: wr70beh
IDC about leaving the CAA. It was on borrowed time. What I cant accept is the lack of public due diligence save a suggestive post from JOC last week eerily similar to 2005 only lacking similar outrage from the fan base. I have no doubt the admin made sure the move was made so there couldn't be any debate over this.

Yes the CAA is not what it once was, I was fine with leaving it too. Culturally from a FOOTBALL perspective the SOCON would of been a better immediate choice. Some more forward thinking could of brought back A10 football with a combo of UR, Fordham, UNH, Maine, URI, Duquense and Villanova. Either would of been better options of spearheading the de-emphasization of football at UR. Maybe NOVA moves to the PL and we keep the

I think the point is that the entire league was not north of us. The entire Patriot League is.
Advantage Richmond. Always want to be southernmost school in conference.

Once again, the idiots in the Administration are screwing the Football program at UR. They tried this crap in Jim Reid's last season. He quit and we fired the school president. A few years later we won the national championship. This president needs to be fired. There were 4 teams in the post-season from the CAA last season.
Delaware-gone,richmond-gone, Nova will leave as they're big east for everything else ...not as bad of a move as many will see ..CAA is a sinking ship

CAA is headed down. We saw that, we moved. Let’s work on Villanova. Then, we have them and Georgetown to work on getting us in the Big East baby!!

I thought William & Mary was an academic institution

Thought so too but not if they stay CAA they aren’t. I think they’ve had a perpetual invite to Patriot & haven’t done it. Idk about Southern but I suspect it will be more strongly considered by the league & WM now. I kinda doubt they r long for the CAA think Patriot or Southern more likely but we’ll see they’ve stuck it out so far.

Delaware-gone,richmond-gone, Nova will leave as they're big east for everything else ...not as bad of a move as many will see ..CAA is a sinking ship
PQ said on another venue that he expects Villanova to join the Patriot.

Thought so too but not if they stay CAA they aren’t. I think they’ve had a perpetual invite to Patriot & haven’t done it. Idk about Southern but I suspect it will be more strongly considered by the league & WM now. I kinda doubt they r long for the CAA think Patriot or Southern more likely but we’ll see they’ve stuck it out so far.
They’d be a better fit all sports. Alumni would hate it for a while but Academically, they don’t fit the CAA or the Southern Conference

The more I think about it, the more I think this was a good move. The Patriot is far more stable than the CAA or the SoCon. Quite an awkward mix of public and private schools in the SoCon too. The difference between the CAA and the Patriot has narrowed substantially since JMU went FBS and since the Patriot loosened a few of their rules.

We made the first move here. My prediction -- Villanova follows soon. In a year or two, William and Mary moves all sports to the Patriot. The CAA will become untenable for them.

Last edited:
Agree the impact on recruiting at the level necessary to compete for an FCS Championship is my biggest worry about this change.

Prior to the decision my impression of the Patriot League was like that of most, weak and usually non competitive outside of the conference. Then I looked at last season. The PL was just lower than the Southern in the final conference rankings. That’s not historically where it’s been, but it seems to be on the uptick. We’ll make it stronger.

Someone posted the conference ratings for 2023 in the other PL thread.

No doubt the PL will be a tougher close for our recruiters.

Go Spiders!
Holy Cross had Matthew Sluka at QB last year that ran it for 1200+ yards and threw it for 1700+ more with 20 TD vs 5 INT. He has left I think as a transfer to UNLV.
They actually lost to Layfette and did not win AQ due to head up tie breaker, and they were left out of playoffs and some of their fans think Spiders got that spot due to being tri-champion. Sluka ended up as a 3rd team All-American. Two of their other three loses were FBS Boston College and Army, both by 3 and the final one was Harvard by 10. So, in reality they were 7-2 vs FCS and did not get selected. I fear Spider playoff chances with one FCS slip in the new conference, even though I do agree Spiders make it better, but at large invites will be a challenge.

PQ's comments on FB...

I am a big proponent of the move. The CAA is not the same league it was three years ago before JMU and Delaware left. Since then, the CAA has added Hampton, NC A&T, Hampton, Monmouth and Campbell. These are neither comparable academic schools nor very good football schools. The conference is also likely to face more defections in the future, particularly amongst the northern schools that compete in the CAA for football only.

The real decision for us was the Patriot versus the Southern. I can make a credible argument for either option, but I lean to the Patriot because it is where most of students and alumni reside and I believe that Villanova will join us in the Patriot before long.

CAA football has a miserable outlook. Leaving that is not a bad thing. While not immediately exciting, PL probably is the best option given the limited choices (and if Villanova joins if gets a whole lot better).

It is harder for me to get excited about FCS football every year. I hate to admit that I may have Sun Belt envy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT