ADVERTISEMENT

Dji entering the portal

I think everyone saw a diminished role on their new team, but both Fore and Burton were key pieces of their new teams.
Yep, and everyone’s numbers declined pretty significantly, but that’s to be expected when moving up. At least both ANO and Khwan got to play in the NCAA Tournament, which was a big reason to transfer up in the pre-NIL era.

I do think money is driving alot of the movement. If Kentucky and Arkansas have a 5-7 million budget you can bet the Bama and LSU coach are going to go to boosters and tell them they need the same. Getting crazy in the portal. Would love to see what the numbers for roster turnover across the nation end up. If you do get a new coach u probably have close to 100% turnover unless it's an assistant taking over.

If this happens, Dji will become the 4th scholarship Spider in the last 10 years to transfer up to the P6 level:

Alonso Nelson Ododa - Pitt
Khwan Fore - Louisville
Tyler Burton - Villanova
Dji Bailey - LSU
That’s pretty wild considering that the early/mid-90s saw 4 guys transfer to ppwer conf. schools from the CAA.

Chad Varga - Pitt
Damon Bacote - Alabama
Gary Williams - USC
Jeremy Metzger - Penn State

All Tarrant recruits, from b2b classes.

Reactions: GKiller
That’s pretty wild considering that the early/mid-90s saw 4 guys transfer to ppwer conf. schools from the CAA.

Chad Varga - Pitt
Damon Bacote - Alabama
Gary Williams - USC
Jeremy Metzger - Penn State

All Tarrant recruits, from b2b classes.

Amazing really. Tho Bacote & Williams never played for Tarrant. Recruited by him so 100 fair to call em’ that but then Dooley able to keep them. We had some talent then for sure but also some dysfunction. Unlucky with Varga injury his frosh year. & I don’t know if there was a guy who was less happy at Richmond than Gary Williams. Rumor was he was telling recruits on visits not to come. He actually was solid enough at USC iirc. Bacote was I think our top recruit ever at that time. He didn’t do much at Bama ultimately until his senior year. Marcus Williams another transfer out from that era but he went down level. And our transfer in from same era was Kass Weaver…whoops nothing to see there. But u right 4 guys like that b2b classes hard to imagine but it happened.

yes, definitely a down year. not the norm. it was a total rebuild with a new coach.
97's statement was that LSU would not be his pick of schools for Dji. fair enough. what would be ... besides Richmond?
That is a very good question. I don't know. Just when I think of LSU and recent history, I think of Will Wade and the current women's coach, neither of which I associate with class, integrity, or doing things the right way. Brian Kelly is a weirdo too and just kind of reeks of used car salesman vibe to me.

I don't know what his other offers were, so it is tough to say. I would trust Dji and his fam to make the best decision though, for me, LSU is a school that I wouldn't have even considered.

Reactions: WCUR11
That is a very good question. I don't know. Just when I think of LSU and recent history, I think of Will Wade and the current women's coach, neither of which I associate with class, integrity, or doing things the right way. Brian Kelly is a weirdo too and just kind of reeks of used car salesman vibe to me.

I don't know what his other offers were, so it is tough to say. I would trust Dji and his fam to make the best decision though, for me, LSU is a school that I wouldn't have even considered.

well tbf I've never ever liked or respected the LSU, UGA, Bama, Auburns either. Tho as a student athlete going there they hold some advantages. I root against mainly due to the rep u mentioned and their football success, tho they r traditionally much less of a threat in hoops. But your Ped State is not too different, maybe in the 80s they were associated with those things but that is long gone & deservedly so too. And heck I root for TN for family reasons but I admit they can be shady as f too. I don't know if class etc. is attainable in a power conference any longer.

LSU would not be my pick of schools for Dji, just saying. Not a basketball school, shady recent past, lots of premier top level conference schools above you.
To add to this - LSU doesn't seem to fit the academic profile Dji seemed to go towards. Originally committed to Wake, then came here, also see Princeton and Rice on his old recruiting lists.

Also if it's mostly about making the tourney, I think he'd have better options than LSU.

But, if it's more about increasing professional basketball chances (which I suspect it is) then LSU probably makes a lot of sense. Less likely to get recruited over than going to a perennial top 15 team but still get to play at the highest level of college basketball and probably log pretty big minutes. And I'm sure a nice paycheck to go along with it.

I'm not counting on it, but still hopeful he comes back to finish what he started here. Loved his game, demeanor, leadership, etc. and he will be a huge asset to whoever he plays for next year.

Reactions: spider23
To add to this - LSU doesn't seem to fit the academic profile Dji seemed to go towards. Originally committed to Wake, then came here, also see Princeton and Rice on his old recruiting lists.

Also if it's mostly about making the tourney, I think he'd have better options than LSU.

But, if it's more about increasing professional basketball chances (which I suspect it is) then LSU probably makes a lot of sense. Less likely to get recruited over than going to a perennial top 15 team but still get to play at the highest level of college basketball and probably log pretty big minutes. And I'm sure a nice paycheck to go along with it.

I'm not counting on it, but still hopeful he comes back to finish what he started here. Loved his game, demeanor, leadership, etc. and he will be a huge asset to whoever he plays for next year.
Dji got his degree here, so I don't think academics need to be a key factor for him his final year. Time will tell, but I disagree with your professional chances and playing time comments. Dji is a great athlete, but the SEC is full of great athletes, so Dji will need to add to his game with 3 point shooting to get a lot of playing time. I'm not sure Tennessee, Auburn, Ky., Bama, etc. would give up as many drives down the lane and layups to him as some of our A-10 opponents did. The tweet above mentioned he would add to their "wing depth", and my guess is the guy doing the tweet knows their roster real well. But, hey, time will tell and I could be wrong.

Yes, I agree with 4700 here. I do think Dji will need to expand his game to be more effective, or at least as effective in the SEC. I was thinking the same thing about the drives and inherent advantages getting to the hoop in the A10 vs SEC. Will be tougher b/c there are a ton of 6'6 6'7 guys that are super athletic. I do think Dji has some special ability to be creative and score around the hoop - but that will be a bit harder in the SEC. Will be important for him to be able to hit some jumpers to create that space. Which is my hope whether at Richmond or SEC.

Reactions: VT4700 and urfan1
fwiw UR scheduling consultant Joe Lunardi (maybe he pushed us to sign the VMI contract) has LSU in his first four out for 2025 bracketology. 4th out to be exact. 2025 bracketology is worth very little on May 1, and it's Lunardi he's bad at bracketology. LSU stunk in SEC last year and I'm unfamiliar with their roster, but I do expect LSU will at least be in the mix for NCAAs. That's a reasonable expectation. easier path then here.

And if UR a good player at UR, I think you should be pretty good at a LSU too. we were better than LSU last year. Yes u face better athletes game in game out in SEC, but overall it's not that much different bball level.

Yes, but the issue IMO is that Dji's game was predicated more on athleticism and scored most of his points right at the rim. Not saying he will not succeed at LSU, just that not as many rim protectors and 6'7 super athletes in the A10 as the SEC. In any case, as you noted he put in his 4 years here and may want the experience of an SEC school and atmosphere. I know most regular students are ready for a change by senior year, and to add on some nice NIL $ to boot would be more enticing.

I'd love Dji to come back but honestly ... what is he going to get better at here? what new words of wisdom is he going to hear? what new drills or philosophy?

I wonder how many of these grad transfers are moving on to hear a new voice. Dji may have loved his time at UR and may think Mooney is a great coach. but maybe it's time to get out of your comfort zone and hear a different perspective? maybe it was the same with Burton. you put in 4 years at one place. take this gift of a bonus year and take a chance. bet on yourself.

that's how I'd look at it anyway. plus ... SEC > A10.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT