ADVERTISEMENT

Could'a, should'a

I-M-UR

Graduate Assistant
Mar 10, 2006
I don't want to join the choke thread, but certainly this was a game we could'a won and frankly should'a won. In fact it is added to a long list of could'a should'a games. How can we loose so many away games but be competitive (or the better team) and still lose. Is it in our heads, has losing lost some of it's stigma, Is it end of game coaching (but we had every chance to win last night)..... ? Maybe we should try the seal training they mentioned LaSalle goes through to toughen them up mentally.

This is why the frustration, potentially we are so much better than the results. Ok Irrational optimist you may begin.

One last note why LaSalle went away from taking K0 one on one with a larger guard is beyond me. We didn't really adjust they just stopped doing it? I guess it was too boring?

In the 2nd half, we started running a second defender in when they tried that. Looks like the adjustment was made at halftime, probably should have been made after the first 3 offensive possessions when they did it.

It's more like we choked the season not the game. Somehow they got 34 free throws!! Hard to overcome a good HomeJob.

The fouls were pretty even until the end, when we fouled ever time down the floor. They did get more shooting fouls. We had numerous opportunities to win the game even with the foul shot differential.

K2 I never noticed much of an effort to give K0 help when he was being backed into the lane, and neither did the announcer. Believe it or not I played in a game like that we had a guard that the opposing guard couldn't handle. four players lined near the base line, evenly spread out. Our guard would get a step on his man on the drive then who's ever man stepped out to pick him up would step out to get the pass and a wide open look. They finally gave up the man and went to a zone. Something we just aren't inclinde to do.

Originally posted by I-M-UR:

The fouls were pretty even until the end, when we fouled ever time down the floor. They did get more shooting fouls. We had numerous opportunities to win the game even with the foul shot differential.

K2 I never noticed much of an effort to give K0 help when he was being backed into the lane, and neither did the announcer. Believe it or not I played in a game like that we had a guard that the opposing guard couldn't handle. four players lined near the base line, evenly spread out. Our guard would get a step on his man on the drive then who's ever man stepped out to pick him up would step out to get the pass and a wide open look. They finally gave up the man and went to a zone. Something we just aren't inclinde to do.
If I remember correctly the La Salle had 19 free throws going into halftime, we had 2. I don't know how even the fouls were, but the refs were bailing out La Salle with free throws on almost every possession.

Originally posted by fan2011:

If I remember correctly the La Salle had 19 free throws going into halftime, we had 2. I don't know how even the fouls were, but the refs were bailing out La Salle with free throws on almost every possession.
I wouldn't call them getting bailed out, they were beating us down the floor all through the first 10 minutes and we were hacking them to prevent getting dunked on.

Didn't think it was a biased refereed game. Only miscall I saw and didn't realize it until the replay when player slipped going into the lane and they gave DT the foul. UR had 10 1st H fouls and LaSalle had 7. FTA 3 to 19.

They made the most of the fouls by UR. When your a team that doesn't rely on going inside often, you don't make the most of the opposing team's fouls.

Originally posted by fan2011:

Originally posted by I-M-UR:

First Half La Salle15-19
UR 2-3

18 1/2 minutes Second Half
La Salle 3-7
UR 6-11

Last 90 seconds
La Salle 7-10

That slip "non foul" called on DT was de'j'a' vu "all over again" from the GW game called on Zo. Difficulty I observed in the foul calling was that particularly in the first half if an offensive LaSalle player initiated contact with a Richmond defensive player the Richmond player was pretty much automatically whistled for a foul. The problem is that in the same scenario we tend to back away from making contact on offense and don't get the fouls called. LaSalle sank enough free throws in the closing minute and a half to negate our purposeful fouling.

by the end of the game we had 23 fouls they had 17. You could argue most (all, if you like) were shooting fouls. That had little to do with us losing this game. We had ample opportunities we just didn't take advantage of

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT