ADVERTISEMENT

Confidence

PASpider

Star
Apr 13, 2007
I was recently listening to Draymond Green being interviewed on the Old Man and the Three podcast. He talks about how Mark Jackson was the one who initially gave the players confidence that they could be big scorers on the NBA stage and that they kept developing their understanding of how to play together under Kerr.

When I look at the Spiders, I see little confidence from the players. Golden is now afraid to take an outside shot, Cayo has the yips (like Markelle Fultz) when it comes to free throw shooting, and Burton went from a potential NBA player to a shell of what he was earlier this season over the last few games. What is going on here? Why are so many of our veteran players losing confidence in themselves? Where is the coaching?

I was recently listening to Draymond Green being interviewed on the Old Man and the Three podcast. He talks about how Mark Jackson was the one who initially gave the players confidence that they could be big scorers on the NBA stage and that they kept developing their understanding of how to play together under Kerr.

When I look at the Spiders, I see little confidence from the players. Golden is now afraid to take an outside shot, Cayo has the yips (like Markelle Fultz) when it comes to free throw shooting, and Burton went from a potential NBA player to a shell of what he was earlier this season over the last few games. What is going on here? Why are so many of our veteran players losing confidence in themselves? Where is the coaching?
I say this in all sincerity. I think the coaching is what is killing the confidence. Mooney is so intent on adherence to his system that the player's instinctive abilities are killed. You can see them thinking instead of just playing.

Excellent questions. How long does it take to stop a kid’s urge to rebound a ball? The constant beat down at practices must be unmerciful.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 8legs1dream
I posted this previously in another thread, but it is absolutely applicable in this conversation.

Around the 4:00 minute mark I saw a Mooney pose that epitomizes him and his coaching acumen. It was the most perfect representation of his career, and it explains exactly why he and his teams are soft and can't win close games.

Spiders were down by 2 or 4, and play was in progress. Mooney was shown on tv standing and watching. He had his hands behind his head (like clutching himself). The empty look on his face demonstrated fear and anxiety. It was clear from his expression, his body language, and his inaction that he HAD NO IDEA what to do to help his team.

There will never be a more classic personification of Mooney and his career. Completely clueless at a critical juncture, paralyzed inaction! Very sad.

This was a perfect representation of Mooney, AND why his teams play as they do. Low competence, no leadership

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT