ADVERTISEMENT

Cayo is key

Gallipoli

Graduate Assistant
Aug 20, 2017
The Doghouse
Cayo`s production is the key to the season. If Cayo had hit 2 of the FTs he missed in regulation, the Spiders would have won the game. We cannot win with only 2 or 3 guys scoring the points. His scoring opens up greater options. For example, when he drives to the basket and is double teamed, he should dish to the open man.

I wish Cayo would focus more on offense rebounding. He is usually backpedaling faster than Golden after a shot.

I wish Cayo would focus more on offense rebounding. He is usually backpedaling faster than Golden after a shot.
The number of offensive rebounds we miss simply because we don't try every game is incredible. And as the announcers pointed out numerous times, despite the fact that we don't go for offensive rebounds per strategy, we still end up getting beat in transition. It such a failed strategy.

Also, have you seen Cayo shoot FT's? There is a reason other teams foul him, it is basically a turnover.

I want us to start Grant, Burton, Sherod, Goose, Gilly. Gives us more ball handling because I don’t think Burton is good enough at the 3. Burton also might defend the other teams 4 better. Nick doesn’t help us defensively but he’s capable of guarding the 3 and I think his mobility has gotten better over the season. I also don’t think this switch hurts our rebounding.

Nick also spaces the floor and adds another shooter. Why can’t we let Tyler do exactly Nate does? I guess Cayo is better at manuevering in the post but let’s get Tyler the ball down low and let him hit fadeaways and crash the boards all day. I think this would really help our offense. Mooney clearly has to try SOMETHING to get our offense going when we get stagnant.

Some people have been a little critical of Cayo this season. A couple of interesting stats:

1. Shooting percentage of .559 is the 2nd highest of his 5 years at Richmond
2. Free throw percent is terrible, but only shooting 2.6 a game
3. his rebounds per 40 minutes of 6.8 are 2nd highest of his 5 years and his assist of 2.9 are the highest he has averaged. His scoring is slightly down, because he is playing less minutes and shooting less when he is in.

We need a big game from Cayo tonight.

Cayo needs to shoot free throws granny style. Forget about your pride and made the shots. Those points are going to matter and they’re going to hack you to get you to the line

Cayo misses so many shots inside of two feet that it's unbelievable. He should go get rebounds and only attempt a shot if he can dunk it at this point.

Reactions: SpiderK
Cayo misses so many shots inside of two feet that it's unbelievable. He should go get rebounds and only attempt a shot if he can dunk it at this point.
What are your facts? He has one of the highest shooting percentages in the school history.

What are your facts? He has one of the highest shooting percentages in the school history.
This season Cayo is 123 for 220. I’m just going to guess that he’s referring to those 97 misses.

Now if only it was 97 who has posted it and not EL…

Reactions: Eight Legger
I can tell you Cayo is 37 for 83 from 15ft with no one in front of him. 44.5%, and looks like Mark Fidrych shooting them.

This season Cayo is 123 for 220. I’m just going to guess that he’s referring to those 97 misses.

Now if only it was 97 who has posted it and not EL…
I won't often stick up for 80s but this doesn't look too bad in the A-10...

I think, because of FT %, hoping for an "And 1" skews perception...

He's only shooting at 55%? That's horrible considering he doesn't take any shots deeper than 4 ft from the basket (except FTs). Something is really messed up when a player goes from being a 80% FT shooter his sophomore year to 44% three season later. I'm turning the game off the first time he misses one. I just can't stand watching him playing, period.

Cayo knows his strengths. he's a pretty terrific low post offensive player. I'm glad he doesn't shoot from outside unlike the Mitchells of URI. their shooting was a gift.
I like Cayo's on-ball defense too. I think his help defense is an issue, but that should have been taken care of by coaches.

He's only shooting at 55%? That's horrible considering he doesn't take any shots deeper than 4 ft from the basket (except FTs). Something is really messed up when a player goes from being a 80% FT shooter his sophomore year to 44% three season later. I'm turning the game off the first time he misses one. I just can't stand watching him playing, period.
This is my thought too. Then again, we've established Mooney's fondness for a 55% success rate, so I suppose it makes sense.

our fast paced aggressive play, we've shot 22 FTs they 5 -- wonder why

Glad I went to the bathroom and didn't see his only miss. I didn't have to turn it off.
Way to overcome your struggles big guy. Hang in there for a couple more games.

Why are you badmouthing Cayo so much? He is a very good player and played well tonight. 11 points on 3-7 shoot and 5 of 6 from the line. CCCCAAAAYYYYOOOO!!!!!
Yes awesome. Cayo went 5-6 and got his average back up 48%. Awesome!!!

Sorry Cayo I couldn’t resist this one.

Btw sometimes twitter is funny, peaking whenever the Spids beat vcu.

Why are you badmouthing Cayo so much? He is a very good player and played well tonight. 11 points on 3-7 shoot and 5 of 6 from the line. CCCCAAAAYYYYOOOO!!!!!
I love how some of the experts on this board criticize every bad play during the game. Have you ever considered at least waiting for the game to end before deciding if a player has had a bad game? We finally beat VDU in a game that means something and Cayo was a big part of it.

Reactions: spiderman
He made some nice plays in the second half. Doesn't change the fact that he missed several point-blank shots, which is a consistent theme with him and Golden. But hopefully they can do enough these next two games to help us win both. And I don't ever recall describing myself as an expert.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT