ADVERTISEMENT

And on to Gola...

It's time for us to help Doctor JG find rock bottom again.

Am I reading correctly that this game starts at 6:30 on Thursday?

I predict this one will be ugly. We finally got over the hump plus La Salle matches up well for us.

Just wish we could play this on a Tuesday instead of waiting until Thursday

A loss to LaSalle cancels out any progress we think we may have made vs. VCU.

But as I posted elsewhere - I think the VCU game shows what type of team we can be down the stretch, and that might help us win more games than we lose. We should strive to keep the game low scoring, run the clock down on offense, be opportunistic with our fast breaks, and limit our turnovers and limit offensive rebounds for our opponents. Do that - and if we should an average of 30% from 3 and 40% from the floor - we should have a chance to win.

Otherwise - we are just hoping we shoot lights out like we did vs. Davidson and Duquesne. It might be ugly and low scoring, like the VCU game - but winning is always better than losing.

LaSalle is similar to us. No real good wins OOC. They did play much tougher games with games against UVA, Vandy, Villanove, and Temple. In the A10 - they have beaten GW at home and stand at 4-4. So I expect this to be a tough game, but a winnable game for us. Expect it to be an ugly low scoring game as LaSalles games in the A10 have mostly been in the 50's and low 60's. Just the game we need to grind out a win.

to be honest, even though we have been playing really well as of late, we don't shoot well, a loss, if we shoot well, a win, very simple and would make no bets on this game unless forced to do so.

Big, big game. We must win. Period. Can't be a "we played well and were right there but for that one play etc." Anything less than a win means the VCU game was just a lucky anomaly. A loss here invalidates not only the VCU win but any larger more general sense of we have improved, we are coming on etc. A win and we can look at the last 5-6 games and say we have really improved, we are a different team and we are, perhaps, what we expected to be at the year's start!

Web - we don't need to shoot well to win. We showed that vs. VCU. We only shot 40% and 30% from 3. That is nothing great in terms of shooting.

But what we did well - we managed the clock, kept the game low scoring, and rebounded well. All things we can continue to do. Our shooting was streaky - like to begin the 2nd half, we knocked down some big shots. But overall - we didn't shoot the ball well in my mind. We just played good defense, limited their offensive rebounds, and controlled the clock. It was not pretty at times, and makes for a low scoring game - but I rather win 59-58 than lose 92-90.

Davidson and Duquesne showed when we catch fire, we can score - but that has only really happened for 2 games this season - so hard to rely on that. The VCU game was also 1 game, but I think we are better off trying to replicate that game than just hope we shoot lights out on any given night.

I agree with Trap, I believe the vcu formula gives us a better chance to win a greater number of games. Gotta play well at Gola, Mooney was on Big Al's show this morning and said they would talk to the team today about putting games in the proper perspective (don't let the vcu win cause a lose at Gola is the way I took it).

Go Spiders!

if we shoot well, a win, that is a given but we can shoot average and win if we play great D. if we shoot average we can also get into the late game 1 or 2 points difference and we have not been winning those. if we shoot poorly, we are not going to win and 40 and 30 is not poor just not good.

If we can rebound well like we did v VCU, we can win a lot more games this year.

I agree that this is a game we must win. Of course, must-win games usually are reserved for teams with something tangible to play for, and I'm not sold on the fact that we could do anything to get an at-large bid, short of losing only 1 game the rest of the way until the A-10 title game. So in that sense, every game is basically "must-win."

But in terms of displaying that we have turned the corner, this qualifies as a must-win. If we are a new team now, we really should win all the rest of our road games except for one (probably UMass or St. Bonaventure).

I'll also say that we left about 10 easy points on the court at VCU, just about all in the first 5-7 minutes of the game, on missed layups. If those go in we probably win by 20. And I agree that we didn't really play exceptionally well overall -- but we did the things we needed to do to win comfortably. That's a great takeaway that should give these guys confidence.

LaSalle presents a matchup issue for us unlike most/any other team in the A-10, in that they have two really good back-to-the-basket interior players in Wright and Zack. We should be able to take advantage on offense by stretching them out with Cline and Allen, but on defense we must, must, must keep them off the offensive boards with the same commitment we had againts VCU.

Interestingly, Kenpom has this away game at La Salle as our hardest game for the rest of the season. We are favored by 1 point. If we win I think it cements us as one of the top 4 teams in the conference and puts us in a good position for a run in the A10 tournament.

I do find it interesting to look at last year's sold out game at our place.

Looking at how the players that are returning for both teams played, I think I'd be ok with similar performances this year.

Last Time

This game is enormous. Pull off a W and we get back here to a (likely) sold out RC on Sunday v Rhody and Fordham next Wednesday. We are going to bomb both of those teams at home.

I hope our guys have their feet back on the ground when they get back to practice tomorrow.

This is a pivotal game. The schedule sets up perfect for us to go on a nice winning streak. We have played our toughest road games and get all the top teams at home. We have to find a way to keep the momentum and beat LaSalle.

though having an average season, kind of like us, they did beat gw by 13 and won at the bonnies by 10, which is not easy. certainly a loseable game on the road if we don't play a high-level type of game.

I believe La Salle is 99 rpi right now. A chance for back to back top100 rpi wins is huge. Need to get that recent record better and keep the momentum. Hoping game results before us won't affect their ranking, not that it makes a difference in terms of winning.

I think who Zack is able to guard on defense may be a big part of this game. They seem to play better when he is able to guard a big but not quick center like NDoye, Thompson, or Larsen.

That may play into the time that we play Cline, ANO or both.

alright mite hope this brings a smile to your face - I read the first line of your post and thought - who Chu can guard is going to be significant? Then I remembered his first name is Zach................

Zack is a big stiff. If we are worried about him dictating the outcome of the game, we might as well not even make the trip. He can't keep up with any of our interior guys and may foul out trying to do so.

I'm more worried about Price, Wright and Roberts, because two of those three can shoot threes pretty well and all of them can score.

Nobody has been able to guard TA in conference play. Ndoye was out with foul trouble for much of the time when we played St. Bonaventure, but even when he was in he couldn't stop TA or Cline. Thompson was on the floor for 35 minutes when we played him and TA went 5-7 from 2 while Cline went 4-5. There has been no big in the conference able to stop TA from scoring. In fact, TA has shot over 50% from 2 in every conference game so far, and he has been in double digits in all but 1 (he went 4-8 for 8pts against St. Bonaventure.) Cline has had a couple off games, but he hasn't had much trouble scoring either. I don't think La Salle's bigs will be able to handle TA and Cline.

As for their 3 point shooters, La Salle only has 2 players who shoot 3s with any regularity. They shoot 43% and 33%, so one is pretty good and the other is average. All their other players who have attempted 3pt shots have made less than 27%, if they beat us with outside shooting I will be sad.

This post was edited on 2/3 4:42 PM by fan2011

Originally posted by Eight Legger:
Zack is a big stiff. If we are worried about him dictating the outcome of the game, we might as well not even make the trip. He can't keep up with any of our interior guys and may foul out trying to do so.

I'm more worried about Price, Wright and Roberts, because two of those three can shoot threes pretty well and all of them can score.
That is not too far from my point. Unless La Salle finds someone he can neutralize they are playing 4 on 5. He seemed to cancel out both Ndoye and Larsen. He can't handle Allen, I don't think he can handle ANO. If he can handle Cline, it would only mean that Allen is completely open.

Remember I'm looking at La Salle on defense. Their best wins seem to have come when they found a way to defend.

I've seen LaSalle play several times. Zack and Wright are very good in the frontcourt. Wright is powerfully built, and will be a force. Zack is having a great year, and a senior. His Achilles heel is, he's not very fast coming down the court. I'd hope we'd move the ball quickly up the court, and if we have a good shot, take it before Zack is in position. He plays about 30 minutes a game. Make him hustle more, and he won't last that long.

They have big guards, we'll see how we handle that when we have the small guards, playing together.

Zack didn't look like a D1 player down here last year. Perhaps he's made major strides since then bit I have a hard time bring overly concerned.

Wright is a bull. We need to keep him off the boards as best we can.

This post was edited on 2/3 8:49 PM by MolivaManiac

Don't forget that we made 20 of 24 FT last Sat. Shows if our guys get to FT line, we can score, even if not shooting great. Most of our guys need to be aggressive, shot fake, and create contact to get those calls. Even K0 and SDJ did a better job of that against VCU. And making FTs must be contagious, since DT made a couple as well.

K0, ANO and Terry Allen are all in the top 5 FT shooting percentage in the conference, that's been a huge bright spot this year.

Gosh I hope we can get this road win. Would be nice to get two in a row and start a streak in the opposite direction. Not to mention would be a big momentum builder heading into the big RI game Sunday. One game at a time but if we can end the week 2-0 it would be huge.

Let's see if we can keep it rolling, team roles seem to be solidifying and the guys look comfortable playing together. You would think the VCU road win has to give us an extra boost of confidence, now that the monkey is off our back. If we can beat the first place team on their floor, guys got to believe they can beat anyone in the A10 now. Thursdays not coming fast enough, and I'm in Sydney at the moment, it's already Wednesday here!

SDJ, K0, ANO, and TA are all shooting over 80% from the FT line. That is outstanding. If another team has to foul us they don't have many options.

Had to chuckle on Sat when they were trying to chase down Trey to foul him. Smart kid ran like a gazelle to get the ball to one of those 80%+ FT shooters. Good for him!

The only people who can stop TA is us. As long as we get him enough touches, he will get the job done down low
Been saying this all year. FEED Terry! He is a beast.

I have changed my mindset 180 degrees. I am now going into each game expecting to come out with the win. Not that I have anything to do with it.

Dean Smith was the only man who could hold Michael Jordan to less than 20 points per game...

Lasalle has a tough 4 game stretch coming up beginning with us. Let's take it to them. I think they may be a bit underrated, they beat GW at home and just beat the Bonnie's away by double digits. It depends which team shows up for them. If they are hitting their threes and their big men are crashing the boards hard inside it could a long night. I wonder if our strategy will be to try to neutralize the bigs, or get out on the three point shooting guards. I really hope we can bring that rebounding intensity from VCU to this game. But this could also be a classic let down game for us after VCU. I hope we play well this is not an easy game.

Date Opponent Time
2/5 vs. Richmond 6:30 PM
2/8 at Massachusetts 4:00 PM
2/11 at VA Commonwealth 7:00 PM
2/14 vs. Davidson 2:00 PM

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT