ADVERTISEMENT

About that Billboard Ad

CM most definitely gets credit for the current roster and this year's success. He has a special, veteran group that has taken their lumps as young players and grown exponentially. Next year's group will have even higher expectations. Reminds us all of 2010-11. That's what worries me. You can say "Shut up and just enjoy the next two years"...and I would understand and accept that...especially compared to the last two seasons of 20 losses. But I want to see CM build and maintain a strong foundation after he loses these veteran guys. It's going to be really interesting seeing how everything unfolds over the next few seasons with a possible contract extension (I realize we haven't even made the NCAA's this year) but if we do keep trending up this year and next. CM has a 15 year resume at the helm and he has never finished higher than 3rd in the regular season A-10 standings despite the glimmer of the two tournament years. The next few years are going to be fascinating to see which way the program goes.
While I agree we should do better, and while I agree there are things that have gone wrong...
But is it true that we have had one of the top 3 regular season A-10 records only once since joining the A-10, no matter who was the coach?

Reactions: gcarter52
I don't think being upset at our record gives people the right to embarrass the University and basketball program by paying for a Billboard and then aggressively notifying the media to cover it. These actions are design to hurt attendance at games, hurt recruiting, publicly humiliate the coach and his family. It is these facts that generate so much negative emotion from people relative to this subject.

It is ok to communicate negative opinions on this board, but at some point you need to start supporting the team and helping them make the NCAA. Constant negative criticism does not help the program. If it did we would boo our players the whole game and yell "air ball" every time one of our players missed the rim. The way to motivate the players is to come to the game, cheers them on and give them confidence they can win.

Last edited:
Reactions: SpiderPlant
I don't think being upset at our record gives people the right to embarrass the University and basketball program by paying for a Billboard and then aggressively notifying the media to cover it. These actions are design to hurt attendance at games, hurt recruiting, publicly humiliate the coach and his family. It is these facts that generate so much negative emotion from people relative to this subject.

It is ok to communicate negative opinions on this board, but at some point you need to start supporting the team and helping them make the NCAA. Constant negative criticism does not help the program. If it did we would boo our fans the whole game and yell "air ball" every time one of our players missed the rim. The way to motivate the players is to come to the game, cheers them on and give them confidence they can win.
There is just so much hyperbole and opinion here that you are selling as fact:

- I disagree it was an embarrassment for the university.

- I disagree the billboard was designed to do any of the following: hurt attendance, hurt recruiting, publicly humiliate the coach or his family.

In my opinion, fans felt like their voices were being ignored, so they found a way to make sure they were heard. It’s fine to disagree with their actions (many do!), but please stop trying to sell it like it’s the only opinion on the subject.

It is ok to communicate negative opinions on this board, but at some point you need to start supporting the team and helping them make the NCAA. Constant negative criticism does not help the program. If it did we would boo our fans the whole game and yell "air ball" every time one of our players missed the rim. The way to motivate the players is to come to the game, cheers them on and give them confidence they can win.

Desperate times; desperate measures...perhaps. I don't think that the university was embarrassed by the billboard.
Whether there was any positive impact as a result of the action cannot be determined unless we use the abductive heuristic so notably applied by William of Ockham in his defense of divine miracles. And, even then it is refutable. We're talking logic, not science. Occam's razor, epistemologically speaking.

The billboard was a bad look short term and anyone that thinks it’s what motivated them to step up their performance is just outright laughable and to be honest a little narcissistic if you ask me.

Was it wrong to do the board? Nope, just naive and immature because it airs your dirty laundry for everyone to see and it clearly didn’t achieve its goal of removing Mooney.

Obviously to some people it was clearly shortsighted because they saw that significant improvement was on the horizon and thus far seem to have judged correctly. Is it bad look long term for the school and program? Not this year at least.

I do wish the people who paid for the advertisement attached their name to it, which is my biggest gripe. If it’s who I think it is it’s sad because you know they love Spider athletics. Hopefully they’re beginning to enjoy the season and put down their arms.

The simple reason we are better this year is we have the experienced talent to compete and suffered no offseason attrition. It’s not because some emotional response due to two attrition marred seasons posted for all of I95 to see.

My guess is the billboard did little to harm or embarrass the university, yet a year later we're still talking about it. And you can't talk about it without talking about Richmond basketball. Maybe that's not a bad thing. It came down about as quick as the Athletics Department statement on "we'll just get new fans." That wasn't a real good look either. Why don't we just call it even and worry about beating the Bonnies.

I wasn't sure.

But which seasons were there where fewer than 3 teams had more conference wins than we did?

Nevermind, it was at least 2009-2010 & 2010-2011...

In 2016-2017, only Dayton and VCU had a better regular season conference record than we did.

Reactions: Gallipoli
The billboard was a bad look short term and anyone that thinks it’s what motivated them to step up their performance is just outright laughable and to be honest a little narcissistic if you ask me.

Was it wrong to do the board? Nope, just naive and immature because it airs your dirty laundry for everyone to see and it clearly didn’t achieve its goal of removing Mooney.

Obviously to some people it was clearly shortsighted because they saw that significant improvement was on the horizon and thus far seem to have judged correctly. Is it bad look long term for the school and program? Not this year at least.

I do wish the people who paid for the advertisement attached their name to it, which is my biggest gripe. If it’s who I think it is it’s sad because you know they love Spider athletics. Hopefully they’re beginning to enjoy the season and put down their arms.

The simple reason we are better this year is we have the experienced talent to compete and suffered no offseason attrition. It’s not because some emotional response due to two attrition marred seasons posted for all of I95 to see.
And moon was obviously motivated by the billboard

Reactions: coach fezz
In 2016-2017, only Dayton and VCU had a better regular season conference record than we did.
After getting completely distracted by work, I got everything wrong, but my original thought was, everyone complains about Mooney having never finishing better than third. But neither has anyone else, correct? This time?

But eventually someone needs to...

Beilein’s ncaa trip was in 98 (CAA) and we got robbed our last year in the CAA when we weren’t allowed to play in the CAA tournament (2000). Beilein took us to the NIT in 2001 and then Wainwright went to the NIT in 2002 and the NCAA’s in 2003. We “parted ways” with Wainwright after the 2004 season and CM has been at the helm ever since.

"What motivated them to step up their performance" ... Who is "them" and "their"? The billboard was about Mooney and only Mooney, not the players or the team.

This is what you Mooney supporters do, you're always claiming that if we don't love Mooney, then we must hate the players. Regardless of time and time again in post after post, Mooney detractors state otherwise. If you're embarrassed by the billboard, well, that's YOUR problem. We (the supporters of the billboard) stopped talking about it a long time ago, it's you other guys that keep bringing it up. So how about just dropping the whole discussion....at least until the next billboard anyway.

"What motivated them to step up their performance" ... Who is "them" and "their"? The billboard was about Mooney and only Mooney, not the players or the team.

This is what you Mooney supporters do, you're always claiming that if we don't love Mooney, then we must hate the players. Regardless of time and time again in post after post, Mooney detractors state otherwise. If you're embarrassed by the billboard, well, that's YOUR problem. We (the supporters of the billboard) stopped talking about it a long time ago, it's you other guys that keep bringing it up. So how about just dropping the whole discussion....at least until the next billboard anyway.
This is an emotional and hyperbolic response Rick. I’m not into that “us vs them” stuff the fire Mooney/Mooney loyalists get into. I said I don’t even think it was wrong go back and reread the post. I gave context to both sides of the argument and never did I say I was embarrassed by their actions. Personally I’m enjoying the season, hope you’ll find time to as well!

Reactions: SpiderRick
Why do media members continue to refer to the billboard and the Fire Mooney Mafia? Because the incident completely embarrassed the University.
Furthermore, you attacked and demeaned good people who were fans of the school and the team. Those who only wanted to discuss the failure of the school's coach.
It was merciless, demeaning and childish.

In fact, those of you who worked to harm this coach and this team have no right to cheer for this team.
Hypocrites have no standing.

In fact, those of you who worked to harm this coach and this team have no right to cheer for this team.
Hypocrites have no standing.

This is the general attitude that caused the FMM folks to feel like they needed to put the billboard up in the first place. The condescending, insular, "we know better than you" attitude that permeates from the AD and the program. 8 straight years of non tournament results clearly show that things aren't perfect and fans/alums have a right to question that and frankly be upset. CM has been given a very handsome contract which will take care of his family for generations and has been given more time/patience than any coach in his position would be. He is far from some victim...the results over the past 15 years are his to own (good and bad). I remember a time when all spider fans would gather in Atlantic City or other venues and loudly/proudly support the team...over the last few years it seems like you have to be a member of some elite pro-Mooney club subject to exile if you don't blindly support the coach without any regards to results on the court.

The condescending, insular, "we know better than you" attitude that permeates from the AD and the program.
Yes, that is exactly the sentiment that many long time fans I know feel. Just shut up, we know what we are doing. AJ Ford was just overlooked, but Mooney knows. Watch the vaunted match up get smoked game after game after game, and mooney just needs different players to implement it correctly. And on. Yes, I believe fans got to the point that they could not take the lack of action, or at least accountability permeating from the the AD and administration.

Why do media members continue to refer to the billboard and the Fire Mooney Mafia?
What media members are referring to it? I've watched just about every game on ESPN+ or TV. We must be getting different streams. ESPN itself never talks about the Spiders at halftime of their games; I don't think we've even been on an ESPN "broadcast" this season, other than the Barclays on ESPN2.

Noah? He's a hybrid journalist/fanboy. That's not a knock - the quality of his work has improved dramatically this year, and I think he's going to make it in the business. But him bringing it up on a podcast with Grant doesn't even amount to "regional media" - nobody but us die-hard fans is hearing that.

Reactions: KWeaver
Ok enough is enough, this whole talk started years ago with recruiting. Was the school admin hampering Mooney or was Mooney and staff not capable. Then it was Mooney game management and his lack of fire on the sideline. All this time record was getting worse and VCU made coaching changes and seemed to not miss a beat. Then the billboard idea came up much like what happened at Wake Forest.

My fellow Spider fans, we bleed red and blue and lets agree that when the other school in town is ruling the roost, our temperature rises and our pride is hurt. Rome was not rebuilt in a day and Nero was a pretty bad dude. I think we have tools in place with Hardt, the team is gaining confidence and CM is a good guy who has made adjustments. Let’s stop beating each other up! Take the Blake Francis approach and forget the past play, stay positive and move on.

This infighting among the fans is getting real old!

What media members are referring to it? I've watched just about every game on ESPN+ or TV. We must be getting different streams. ESPN itself never talks about the Spiders at halftime of their games; I don't think we've even been on an ESPN "broadcast" this season, other than the Barclays on ESPN2.

Noah? He's a hybrid journalist/fanboy. That's not a knock - the quality of his work has improved dramatically this year, and I think he's going to make it in the business. But him bringing it up on a podcast with Grant doesn't even amount to "regional media" - nobody but us die-hard fans is hearing that.

There was a story about the billboard in the RTD last week and they do frequently mention it in articles. I have also heard it mention multiple times during TV broadcast, although can't remember if it was ESPN + or one of the other networks.

With that said, I don't hold any grudges. I am happy to sit with any Spider fan that wants to cheer the Spiders on and it would be great if we could get together in Richmond to watch the A10 tournament for those not going to NYC.

Last edited:
Talk about childish....just take your ball and go home 32
images
this is Slovak billboard

Legitimately don't understand why this conversation continues.

Propose for both "sides" to agree to disagree, move on and realize their commonality in supporting UR.
My thought is, there may have been a time for this discussion, they may be a time for this discussion in the future, but what is the point of this discussion NOW?

Reactions: urfan1

It is ok to communicate negative opinions on this board, but at some point you need to start supporting the team and helping them make the NCAA. Constant negative criticism does not help the program. If it did we would boo our players the whole game and yell "air ball" every time one of our players missed the rim. The way to motivate the players is to come to the game, cheers them on and give them confidence they can win.
Sorry to break it to you like this, BUT, players do not play the game to please a fan.

Reactions: urfan1
Wow EL, interesting article. Mooney coming out and saying it was a motivating factor, helped galvanize the troops. Excellent. I know those FMM dudes are mad because it backfired, and is causing Mooney to probably stay longer - but interesting that Mooney is now acknowledging its role.

Legitimately don't understand why this conversation continues.

Propose for both "sides" to agree to disagree, move on and realize their commonality in supporting UR.

Couldn't agree more 05, now just make sure that 32, 80s, Spiderman, and all the other Truthers read the above Forbes article. And then STHU

I think Coach Mooney has been right all along. He was certainly right about this team. Maybe he will have the last laugh, if the team keeps winning.

Reactions: UR80sfan
I think Coach Mooney has been right all along. He was certainly right about this team. Maybe he will have the last laugh, if the team keeps winning.
Please refer to post 72 and practice what you preach. Who's laughing. Do you think those that put the sign up don't want the Spiders to win? Why stir the pot? I hope we win out and don't lose a game next year and I'm not a big Mooney guy. If he puts us back on the basketball map and can sustain he can win my support back. Show me Mooney, show me but it can't be once every 10 years.

Wow EL, interesting article. Mooney coming out and saying it was a motivating factor, helped galvanize the troops. Excellent. I know those FMM dudes are mad because it backfired, and is causing Mooney to probably stay longer - but interesting that Mooney is now acknowledging its role.
we've had some awful things done on our campus this year that were certainly more hurtful to individuals and more embarrassing to the university than the billboard. you could argue that these awful things are also bringing about positive change, starting conversation and "galvanizing" the school.

it's an extreme example but a negative act that brings about positive change isn't proof that the negative act was a positive one.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT