ADVERTISEMENT

15 YEAR Anniversary!

8legs

Star
Apr 5, 2004
Today happens to be the 15th anniversary of my first post on this board. As you can see from my less than 1000 posts in 15 years I am not as frequent a poster as many of you. I have been a fan of UR sports for 60 years, going back to the basketball days of the Southern Conference, Les Hooker and The Arena. I attended UR when I had Coach Mills and Coach Catlett as Phys Ed teachers without 10 other "suits" to help them. So if nothing else, I do have some big picture perspective on our current state of athletic affairs.
Today I just want to state two things in honor of my own occasion.
First and foremost, thank each of you for being members of this board and enriching my experience as a Spider fan. Your posts often enlighten and entertain. My close friends on this board and I are absolutely incredulous and laugh at some of your opinions and are also amazed by your knowledge and insights. I am of the strong opinion that all opinions are welcome, with the exception of those of the usually condescinding posts of most VCU trolls whose opinion I could give a rats a$@ about.
Second, I do not want to add to the understandable negativity today, but I must say this is the most frustrating time of my Spider experience. If you had told me a few years ago that I would not be renewing my longstanding season football tickets I would not have believed it, but that is the case. My lifelong friends already relinquished their basketball tickets but I hold onto mine for one reason only, the grandson experience.
I have posted here on several occasions that "Hope is not a good strategy". But frankly, that's about all I have left.
Thanks again for your Spider interest, keep up the good work and here's hoping for a bright future!

8legs. Thanks for your continued support and commitment to the Spiders. There are a lot more of us out there who share both your love for the Spiders and who are incredibly frustrated with the situation. This will improve, I am confident of that. Wish I knew when.

Reactions: SpiderK and 8legs
must know you or would recognize you since Gale Catlett was my phys ed teacher as well. he was a very funny guy and was glad for his success at wvu. glad you are on here buddy. were you a townie or from somewhere else?

Reactions: 8legs
Great post 8legs. I don't think i've been on the board as long as you and i've certainly had a lot more to say, but you capture most of my feelings pretty well.

The problems with UR athletics just run so much deeper than basketball. Take a look at the Spring Football game tomorrow. We don't have enough football players to conduct a Spring Game ... but bring your dog! ... and buy some craft beer! ... and buy some apparel! It's more of the same nonsense with just 'finding some warm bodies' to get into the place to justify the cost of turning the lights on. According to Bob Black, those warm bodies will end up as raving fans...good luck!

I'll be playing with my dog and maybe drinking beer at the house tomorrow... and leaving the clothes shopping to my wife, if she desires.

must know you or would recognize you since Gale Catlett was my phys ed teacher as well. he was a very funny guy and was glad for his success at wvu. glad you are on here buddy. were you a townie or from somewhere else?
UR 68, Theta Chi, (Hermitage High School)

Lambda Chi from newport news but my wife graduated from hermitage

8legs - great post! I never thought about it but guess I’ve been around on the board for a long time (not sure how the math works to carryover from the spiderfans site). Keep on posting and hopefully we’ll have good news soon.

Side note - I thought the 15 years was a nod to reign of Mooney. 15 years, 2 NCAAs. Geez it’s been a long time.

Reactions: KWeaver
8, not going there on here, she was panther, class of 67 so you probably did not know she even existed unless you grew up in lakeside and her father was your dentist.

8, not going there on here, she was panther, class of 67 so you probably did not know she even existed unless you grew up in lakeside and her father was your dentist.
Understand, Spinner. Her father was not my dentist, but Lakeside- yes! Wish I had a dollar for every shot I took on the outdoor courts of Lakeside Elementary!

my wife spends lots of time in lakeside whenever we are back in Richmond and am sure you know many of the same people even though years apart. know several of her panther buddies were theta chis along with you though again, you were probably a senior when they were frosh. she lived pretty much across the street from the old hermitage you guys attended.

8legs - great post! I never thought about it but guess I’ve been around on the board for a long time (not sure how the math works to carryover from the spiderfans site). Keep on posting and hopefully we’ll have good news soon.

Side note - I thought the 15 years was a nod to reign of Mooney. 15 years, 2 NCAAs. Geez it’s been a long time.
DT,
Yes the timeframes coincide. Long-term contracts are always a mistake.

my wife spends lots of time in lakeside whenever we are back in Richmond and am sure you know many of the same people even though years apart. know several of her panther buddies were theta chis along with you though again, you were probably a senior when they were frosh. she lived pretty much across the street from the old hermitage you guys attended.
I'm smiling man. Pinehill Drive, Coach Fritz, Ron Moody and the Centaurs, pledge class of '67-'68 was our largest ever. As the say: Lakeside - Richmond's Best Side. Great place to grow up in a different era.

pinehill drive is spot on 8. Roy's, hopefully remains in business, typically stop in but have not been up in a while and a lot of iconic places are disappearing. my wife is close to Ronnie, Steve and all of those guys and Ronnie is still out there singing pretty much every weekend.

good to hear and it is always great when an old, established, place, can keep it together and remain, not easy. think the original owners sold a few years back and like Phil's you never know if they can duplicate the success.

good to hear and it is always great when an old, established, place, can keep it together and remain, not easy. think the original owners sold a few years back and like Phil's you never know if they can duplicate the success.
Roy's is always busy! I have an old photo with a sign in front of Roy's saying 35 cent hamburger on a Merita roll.
Also, speaking of success, I used to get my pants hemmed by Franco when he had a one room 2nd floor walk up tailor shop on Dumbarton between Lakeside Pharmacy and Lukhard's.
He's come a long way!

pinehill drive is spot on 8. Roy's, hopefully remains in business, typically stop in but have not been up in a while and a lot of iconic places are disappearing. my wife is close to Ronnie, Steve and all of those guys and Ronnie is still out there singing pretty much every weekend.
Also Steve Buckingham has won several grammies for producing songs by Alicia Bridges (I Love The Night Life) and Dolly Parton. He was UR graduation speaker several years ago. Ronnie and Steve both Lakesiders, fellow Panthers and Theta Chi's!

Reactions: Ulla1
Also Steve Buckingham has won several grammies for producing songs by Alicia Bridges (I Love The Night Life) and Dolly Parton. He was UR graduation speaker several years ago. Ronnie and Steve both Lakesiders, fellow Panthers and Theta Chi's!
Proud of and happy for our brothers! You turned out ok too, 8legs. Roll Chi!

Last edited:
Just a couple of doors down from Theta Chi. Can't say we held every frat in high admiration, but we liked and greatly respected you guys.

A salute from a Kappa Sig. Many fond memories of the happenings on new fraternity row.

It was probably one of you a-holes who dented my car a few times driving through the logjam on party weekends ;) All is forgiven now.

I went to Tucker, class of '67, and I went through a whole lot of Hermatige girls, Spinner, so maybe best not to put your wife's name on here. BTW I'm a Fiji so I wouldn't mind shaming a few Theta Chi' s...

I remember one of my brothers driving a school bus through
the row. Okay, as an SAE , he should have been drunk He would have hit fewer cars.

8, Steve invited us and two other couples to come down to the Jefferson and have dinner with Dolly. told us later that she was intimidated by everyone because they had college degrees but obviously, she intimidated everyone because of her fame and success. he took her to campus and she said, this is what i envisioned a college campus should look like. Buck is retired now and has a place in VA Beach where he spends most of his time. Rick, according to the bride, her group spent all of their time with benedictine guys even though they were close with many panthers as well but did say, avoided tucker ruffians....HA

Reactions: 8legs
I went to Tucker, class of '67, and I went through a whole lot of Hermatige girls, Spinner, so maybe best not to put your wife's name on here. BTW I'm a Fiji so I wouldn't mind shaming a few Theta Chi' s...
Rick, one of my biggest high school disappointments was when Tucker opened we lost Coach Ralph Crockett to you. Great man, sad day!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT