ADVERTISEMENT

Worst and best scenario in A-10 Tournament for us

SpiderK

Spider's Club
Dec 3, 2014
So, I am curious what you guys think will be the worst and best outcome of this tournament for UR and why.

The best scenarios are either (a) we win the whole thing ... Or (b) we get throttled by Rhody tomorrow.

The worst scenario is a hard-fought loss to VCU on Friday night where our administration can hang its hat on 20 wins and our impressive "grit" to stay close to VCU.

Worst case for me is we beat vcu and either lose in the next round or get to the final and lose. Mooney probably gets a 5 year extension with either of those two results.

Reactions: SpiderK
I'm all about the game(s) on the court right now. The rest will take care of itself one way or the other.

Best case, win the whole thing and beat VCU by 20 or more along the way.
Worst case, either get embarrassed by VCU or lose to them by a nail-biter.

Worst case: We get killed tonight by 30 and then the postgame press conference is interrupted by PQ hand-delivering a 10-year extension to Mooney.

Best case: We win the tournament, make a run to the Sweet 16, Mooney accepts a lucrative offer to help Christopher Newport transition to Division 1 in 12 years, Hardt retires to become potato farmer, Johnny Newman becomes our AD and hires Kenny Atkinson to return us to glory, with Dan Geriot as associate head coach and TJ Cline as another assistant.

I'd rather lose to URI instead of losing to VCU
yeah, worst scenario is getting blown out by VCU and watching their players and fans yuck it up as the clock winds down.

best scenario has us cutting down the nets.

it's as simple as that. no ulterior motives about regime changes. as a Spider fan I want to win. and I don't want to lose to VCU.

yeah, worst scenario is getting blown out by VCU and watching their players and fans yuck it up as the clock winds down.

best scenario has us cutting down the nets.

it's as simple as that. no ulterior motives about regime changes. as a Spider fan I want to win. and I don't want to lose to VCU.
We all Richmond Fans on this board. We have to be realistic about this squad. Theres no way they beat VCU, might as well lose to URI (it would put more pressure on Mooney too). Also, wouldn't be as embarrassing as getting killed by VCU (again)

Last edited:
We all Richmond Fans on this board. We have to be realistic about this squad. Theres no way they beat VCU, might as well lose to URI (it would put more pressure on Mooney too). Also, wouldn't be as embarrassing as getting killed by VCU (again)
Agreed. Hoping for a mercy kill tonight by Rhody because I can't stomach us losing to VCU again. Although a hammering by VCU seems to stir passion across the fan base and maybe that is some type of kicker for Hardt.

Doubt it though, if our administration is still making a determination on whether he stays or goes based on this tournament, that is just sad and pathetic. They have 17 years to look at, these next few games shouldn't move the needle one way or the other.

I can probably tell you what will happen: we'll scrape by Rhode Island tonight, then beat VCU (as its really hard to beat a team 3 times in a season). Then we'll lose by double digits to our next opponent in the semis. The team will blow all its emotion and energy on beating VCU and won't have anything left for the next game.

I can probably tell you what will happen: we'll scrape by Rhode Island tonight, then beat VCU (as its really hard to beat a team 3 times in a season). Then we'll lose by double digits to our next opponent in the semis. The team will blow all its emotion and energy on beating VCU and won't have anything left for the next game.
It's actually easy for a good team to beat a bad team 3, 4, 5 times in a year. You see baseball series sweeps all the time.

We are favored by 6 points today. I really don't see it. Last time they were without their best guard Sheppard. We only by 6 points last time there is zero belief we cover this spread.

We are favored by 6 points today. I really don't see it. Last time they were without their best guard Sheppard. We only by 6 points last time there is zero belief we cover this spread.
Rhody has won exactly twice since we beat them, both times the opponent was Duquesne. Yeah, I expect them to give us a fight tonight but that is more a statement on us than on Rhody, because Rhody is pretty awful, as is any team who has to play in the opening round.

Reactions: Zeeter and SpiderK
UR by 6
SLU by 11.5
GMU by 6
UMass by 3 (a favored underdog but still not an interesting game...)

It's actually easy for a good team to beat a bad team 3, 4, 5 times in a year. You see baseball series sweeps all the time.
The question is:
Is it easy for a football team to get a 3 game sweep over an evenly matched opponent?

I suspect that is where the saying came from, whether it is even true or not in that situation...

Worst case: We get killed tonight by 30 and then the postgame press conference is interrupted by PQ hand-delivering a 10-year extension to Mooney.

Best case: We win the tournament, make a run to the Sweet 16, Mooney accepts a lucrative offer to help Christopher Newport transition to Division 1 in 12 years, Hardt retires to become potato farmer, Johnny Newman becomes our AD and hires Kenny Atkinson to return us to glory, with Dan Geriot as associate head coach and TJ Cline as another assistant.
I would like to expand the best case somewhat. All that, plus special guest coaching stints from John Beilein and Nancy Lieberman. Halftime guest speaker Dick Tarrant when necessary. Kevin Anderson to teach small point guards what to do at the end of a game. And Gilyard to make sure that no one other than a Spider breaks his steals record.

Worst case scenario is playing out…
I know what is really YOUR worse case scenario. Mooney doesn’t lose again until his contract runs out…
It would give you nightmares…

We will need to reevaluate what has happened. I would say this is the best scenario short term, and worst scenario for the next 10 years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT