ADVERTISEMENT

Women’s soccer

AnnapSpider

Graduate Assistant
May 8, 2003
Annapolis, MD
I was under the impression that we had a strong team this year, obviously, that’s not the case. A good hign school team could
have done as well if not better.

Buckle up.UR plays at Maryland on Thursday.That won’t be pretty.

My daughters played for the Bethesda Soccer Club teams.The U17 and U18 teams could easily beat UR.One daughter played for Good Counsel HS of Maryland.Their Playing against a UR team would also not be pretty.

Not sure who hired our coach.They obviously didn’t know anything about soccer.

Not sure it all really matters in the bigger picture as long as we “compete”and wear nice uniforms.

Last edited:
He lost to #4 team in country and talent level separation was evident, but that is
usually case between mid major and P5 level. Let’s see what happens when they get
into league play. My sons UNCG team finished 7th in SoCon, won the tournament, then
beat the #15 and #7 ranked teams in NCAAs and lost to #4 team in OT who then lost to #2
ranked Wake Forest 6-0. It is not how you start but how you finish.

I was under the impression that we had a strong team this year, obviously, that’s not the case. A good hign school team could
have done as well if not better.

they were 12 out of 14 teams in a10 preseason poll.

He lost to #4 team in country and talent level separation was evident, but that is
usually case between mid major and P5 level. Let’s see what happens when they get
into league play. My sons UNCG team finished 7th in SoCon, won the tournament, then
beat the #15 and #7 ranked teams in NCAAs and lost to #4 team in OT who then lost to #2
ranked Wake Forest 6-0. It is not how you start but how you finish.
Outshot 32-1.

Yes and it was very benevolent of Steve Swanson to take his foot off the accelerator very early in that contest.Next year can we play Mary Washington instead?

Not sure what the problem is. Beall had success at High Point.

Yes, competing against the #4 team in the country is a tall task, but that was just an embarrassment.

UR had such good success in its early years as a program, but the last ~15 years have really been a struggle.

Agreed. And they now have that beautiful facility on the River Road side of campus too. "Build it and they will come" doesn't seem to be working with this program either. Losing 0-8 to anyone is just pathetic.

Outshot 32-1.
Yea that is pitiful for it reflects so many weaknesses: lack of skill, inability to possess, team quickness and speed which you cannot coach, lower club level recruits, etc…. Beall to me comes across more as a cheerleader vs a top notch recruiter and coach. Here since 2017 and 23 of his players are upperclassman and only 12 are frosh and sophomores. So experience should be an asset.

Last edited:
UPSET ALERT

UR 1. Maryland 2 final

coach in 6th season at Maryland.Gotta figure he’s in trouble.My,how the world has changed.

2016Maryland3-15-1
2017Maryland7-8-3
2018Maryland4-10-5
2019Maryland9-8-3
2021 (Spring)Maryland0-10-2
At Maryland23-51-14

Last edited:
Spiders managed a 1–0 win over Longwood a few days ago, but then last night, a winless Liberty team that had scored one goal in three games knocked off the Spiders, 5–2.

Prillaman has three of the Spiders' four goals on the season.

Spiders have wrapped up their non-conference schedule on a bit more of a positive note, tying Beall's old team High Point on Thursday and taking down Coastal Carolina today. Let's see how A-10 play goes.

After Prillaman was essentially all of our offense in the first few games, Wierman has taken things over recently with three of UR's four goals over the past three games.

Credit where credit's due...three shutouts in a row for the Spiders. 2–0 in the A-10 for the first time in over a decade, and up next is a winless GW squad where a Spider win would make them 3–0 in the A-10 for the first time in 18 years.

Reactions: urfan1 and Mo 2.0
Looks like the Ladies team is turning a corner. 6-6, 4-2 after posting another home shutout (4th straight) against Rhode Island. In a 3 way tie for second place in the A10, two games behind VCU, who we do not play this year.

Reactions: urfan1
After a tough road loss to UMass last week, the Spiders collected their 5th straight home shutout, keeping them undefeated at home on the season by beating hapless Davidson, 3–0.

Regular season finishes with games against SLU and Dayton, both of which are currently a game ahead of the 5th place Spiders. Top 8 make the A-10 tourney, but it would be nice to avoid a first-round matchup with VCU at the top of the standings.

Credit to the women's soccer team which seems to be at least progressing a bit. Predicted 12th place finish and beat the curve by 5 spots finishing 7th (Tied with as many wins as the 4 seed) and having their most wins since 2011. Play at #2 Dayton sunday.

Last edited:
Disappointing finish to the regular season against some of the tougher teams, losing three of their last four, but definitely making some progress. Playing 2-seed Dayton at their place will be a tough task.

The ladies hung pretty tough for most of their playoff game. Went down early but Emma Coleman got an equalizer in the first half. Montage had what looked like a free kick distribution error in the second half that Dayton capitalized on and then there was a late goal that made the score a bit more lopsided. I’ve enjoyed watching the team and think they have some good young players. Coleman and Dzadzio are freshmen and there are a number of juniors so I expect the team to be fairly strong presuming they all return.

Any idea what is going on with WSOC? The ladies are 1-7-2 and have scored 3 goals combined over 10 games? Lots of injuries or losses to the portal? Yikes.

They've struggled for years and a coaching change doesn't seem to have helped. Very disappointing, especially considering what the program achieved in its first few years of existence.

I worry when we have a coach that reminds me of Ho Chi Minh.

Like any sport you need good,knowledgeable coaches(doubtful) and continuous good recruiting for quality Judy’s and Jill’s.

Beall certainly had success at High Point, so what’s different now? Suggests an institutional problem, but who knows what’s going on.

He was an ODP COACH and at High Point which has had money to burn on athletics.
But something about his interviews always bothered me from the perspective it never
seemed that winning was an important part of his program. Seems like a nice guy and
one his players would like, but wonder about his competitive edge.

I worry when we have a coach that reminds me of Ho Chi Minh.

Like any sport you need good,knowledgeable coaches(doubtful) and continuous good recruiting for quality Judy’s and Jill’s.
Being a person that has facial hair, I think he would be wise to trim it up a little. Unless he plays Santa Claus, it never hurts to be a little more trimmed, as far as the ladies are concerned, and recruiting in parents homes.

Credit where credit's due...back-to-back wins for the women over two of the other weaker teams in the conference: 2–1 over Mason and 2–0 over La Salle.

I watched replay and LaSalle was the better team. and should have been up 2 or 3-0 before we scored.
Our defense is poor with back line slow to react and getting out of position too easy. The goalie has little leg strength for clearances and makes poor decisions with clearance passes right to an opposing player. The goals we got were hustle plays as result of nice passes. We lost too many possessions in our defensive end and were very lucky to win the game.

I don't see how the coach doesn't get fired after this season's results. I counted up that the team scored 8 goals out of 17 games that's pretty bad.

They got shut out in 11 games...no bueno...

I agree. Any idea why we keep him?
The program carries low expectations as compared to lacrosse, field hockey and swimming. So
long as he runs a clean program and not a lot of transfers out, the school may choose to let it run
its course. I think there is only one paid assistant on staff.

Reactions: Mo 2.0

These D3 coaches direct the NYU and Chicago Mens soccer team,respectively .Either coach would fit easily into running the UR Womens program.Rousel had a stint a UChicago.No more dopey Ho Chi Minh types please.Get someone that really understands soccer.

Kim Wyant is the head coach of New York University.

University of Chicago, coached by Julianne Sitch.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ferrum Spider
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT