ADVERTISEMENT

Will Tyler be drafted into the NBA draft and if so when?

One other play that caught my attention during the game was Grace when Bonnie ended a fast break with a dunk. Grace just gave up let him dunk. Got to hard contest that play, foul the player and make him earn the two at the line.

One other play that caught my attention during the game was Grace when Bonnie ended a fast break with a dunk. Grace just gave up let him dunk. Got to hard contest that play, foul the player and make him earn the two at the line.
Yeah, this one...definitely caught my attention too.

Right, this was the game changing play and statement play in my opinion. To the arguments about Grant and his soft play inside, there was at least two plays against St. Bonnie where he could have made a similar statement by just going up and two handed dunking it. He chose to try and put it off the window instead, ended up missing both.

When your a 6'10 center and don't dunk, yes, I'm sorry that is not playing your position with a killer instinct. Tyler plays his position with a killer instinct. Whether it be dunks or when he soars the air out of the no where to grab a rebound at its peak. Those are plays when you are showing everyone in the building, including the other team, I am better than you and I want it more than you.

No one is saying Grant is not a great player and hasn't put up some ridiculous numbers for us, he has. He just doesn't make many statement plays like Tyler does on a fairly routine basis.

and when your 6'10 center finishes a game with 0 fouls where we were abused inside by our opponent.

Reactions: fmrick
Tyler is way more bouncy. no argument there. if you think Grant could easily dunk on someone and chooses instead to shoot a bank hook, I don't know what to tell you. he's not quick twitch. that should be easy to see.

Reactions: gospidersgo
Golden's an absolute baller too. there's nothing soft about his game no matter how many times someone here says there is. he goes his hardest every possession of every game. I love his effort. and he's put up numbers like no other Spider big man in history.

it's a team game. I know everyone likes to compare individual greatness based on team success ever since the Jordan/Lebron debate started, but in reality sometimes great players don't get to enjoy team glory. he should have danced two years ago. we'll never know. but I'm not holding that against him.

we're lucky to have Grant here. feel like he's pretty underappreciated by some.
I like Golden, but damn sman, you are not watching, just gets out of the way on d.

Reactions: PASpider
Golden's an absolute baller too. there's nothing soft about his game no matter how many times someone here says there is. he goes his hardest every possession of every game. I love his effort. and he's put up numbers like no other Spider big man in history.

it's a team game. I know everyone likes to compare individual greatness based on team success ever since the Jordan/Lebron debate started, but in reality sometimes great players don't get to enjoy team glory. he should have danced two years ago. we'll never know. but I'm not holding that against him.

we're lucky to have Grant here. feel like he's pretty underappreciated by some.
I greatly appreciate Grant. There can still be aspects of his game that drive me crazy. They aren’t mutually exclusive.

I greatly appreciate Grant. There can still be aspects of his game that drive me crazy. They aren’t mutually exclusive.
I see those things too. he's not perfect. but he's still really good. to me, he's the best center we've had.

Another poor shooting performance (4-13) from Tyler that almost cost us the game. He settles too often for threes and long twos.

He reminds me of Francis — he’ll keep chucking it up no matter what.

Another poor shooting performance (4-13) from Tyler that almost cost us the game. He settles too often for threes and long twos.

He reminds me of Francis — he’ll keep chucking it up no matter what.
Shooters have to shoot. Shooters have bad games. I’d rather this than someone like Golden who shrinks and passes up wide open 3s or thinks about them so much that he misses.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
Shooters have to shoot. Shooters have bad games. I’d rather this than someone like Golden who shrinks and passes up wide open 3s or thinks about them so much that he misses.
Grant and Cayo got doubled literally every play last night. GM was able to keep doing that as Burton, Goose and Grace didn’t hit any of their outside shots.

Reactions: mojo-spider
I see those things too. he's not perfect. but he's still really good. to me, he's the best center we've had.
Wait a minute, you said we play position less basketball.

I think Geriot was the most tough minded winner. Post knee injury he was pretty slow, but still tough and skilled and win, he valued winning above all was my impression.

I also think Wienecki was the best center I have seen, but only go back to late 80's. He did have to earn his way on the court and compete against other guys to play.

Reactions: Long Island Spiders
I would take Pete Woolfolk any day. Watched him dominate David Robinson several times..
Wolfolk was great, and tough defensively. and he had big games vs Navy. but wasn't Kratzer matched up on Robinson? Wolfolk was the 4.

and for those who think big men inside should shoot 65% from the floor, Peter was a 49.4% from 2 for his career.

Wait a minute, you said we play position less basketball.

I think Geriot was the most tough minded winner. Post knee injury he was pretty slow, but still tough and skilled and win, he valued winning above all was my impression.

I also think Wienecki was the best center I have seen, but only go back to late 80's. He did have to earn his way on the court and compete against other guys to play.
you've got the wrong guy. I've never touted positionless basketball. I'm a 1-5 believer. skills certainly overlap more today than ever, but there's no such thing as positionless basketball.

Winiecki was good. had a great senior year.

Wolfolk was great, and tough defensively. and he had big games vs Navy. but wasn't Kratzer matched up on Robinson? Wolfolk was the 4.

and for those who think big men inside should shoot 65% from the floor, Peter was a 49.4% from 2 for his career.
Yes, Woolfork vs Robinson when we were on offense, Kratzer vs Robinson on Defense.

Except Robinson senior year then double team with Kratzer behind and Stapleton in front.

Reactions: spiderman
Daron Holmes from Dayton is a 6-10 freshman and the Flyers' leading scorer. He's shooting 65% this season. It can be done.

Daron Holmes from Dayton is a 6-10 freshman and the Flyers' leading scorer. He's shooting 65% this season. It can be done.
well yeah, he was a top 50 recruit and a freak athlete with a million offers. he dunks everything. Jalen Duren shoots in the 60s too. Golden isn't that kind of athlete. we've never had that kind of athlete at the 5.

Which goes back to my original point of questioning why Grant hasn't learned how to be stronger around the basket and dunk more. It's clearly not because he's incapable of it.

Rk
PlayerTeam
2PM
2PA
2P%
Ht
Wt
Yr
1​
Antwan WalkerRhode Island
57​
85​
67.1​
6-7​
230​
Jr​
2​
DaRon HolmesDayton
110​
166​
66.3​
6-10​
220​
Fr​
3​
Luka BrajkovicDavidson
112​
171​
65.5​
6-10​
250​
Sr​
4​
Makhel MitchellRhode Island
96​
157​
61.1​
6-10​
245​
So​
5​
Josh OduroGeorge Mason
108​
177​
61.0​
6-9​
235​
Jr​
6​
Ejike ObinnaSaint Joseph's
107​
181​
59.1​
6-10​
245​
Sr​
7​
Hyunjung LeeDavidson
59​
100​
59.0​
6-7​
210​
Jr​
8​
Malik MartinRhode Island
37​
63​
58.7​
6-6​
210​
Jr​
9​
Grant GoldenRichmond
123​
210​
58.6​
6-10​
255​
Sr​
10​
Davonte GainesGeorge Mason
43​
74​
58.1​
6-7​
181​
Jr​
11​
Osun OsunniyiSt. Bonaventure
87​
151​
57.6​
6-10​
220​
Sr​
12​
Clifton MooreLa Salle
87​
153​
56.9​
6-10​
240​
Sr​
13​
Nathan CayoRichmond
89​
159​
56.0​
6-7​
225​
Sr​

Reactions: Eight Legger
Which goes back to my original point of questioning why Grant hasn't learned how to be stronger around the basket and dunk more. It's clearly not because he's incapable of it.
actually I believe he IS incapable of dunking off 2 feet with a defender on him. yes he's tall. no, it isn't easy to just do that unless you're a quick-twitch athlete with a 35+" standing vertical.
since he can't, he opts to get it up and off the backboard quickly. and he misses some. but still shoots at a great rate.

Not at the game I was at.

Rk
PlayerTeam
2PM
2PA
2P%
Ht
Wt
Yr
1​
Antwan WalkerRhode Island
57​
85​
67.1​
6-7​
230​
Jr​
2​
DaRon HolmesDayton
110​
166​
66.3​
6-10​
220​
Fr​
3​
Luka BrajkovicDavidson
112​
171​
65.5​
6-10​
250​
Sr​
4​
Makhel MitchellRhode Island
96​
157​
61.1​
6-10​
245​
So​
5​
Josh OduroGeorge Mason
108​
177​
61.0​
6-9​
235​
Jr​
6​
Ejike ObinnaSaint Joseph's
107​
181​
59.1​
6-10​
245​
Sr​
7​
Hyunjung LeeDavidson
59​
100​
59.0​
6-7​
210​
Jr​
8​
Malik MartinRhode Island
37​
63​
58.7​
6-6​
210​
Jr​
9​
Grant GoldenRichmond
123​
210​
58.6​
6-10​
255​
Sr​
10​
Davonte GainesGeorge Mason
43​
74​
58.1​
6-7​
181​
Jr​
11​
Osun OsunniyiSt. Bonaventure
87​
151​
57.6​
6-10​
220​
Sr​
12​
Clifton MooreLa Salle
87​
153​
56.9​
6-10​
240​
Sr​
13​
Nathan CayoRichmond
89​
159​
56.0​
6-7​
225​
Sr​
Brajkovic is an excellent example of what Golden should/could be. Nothing against Grant, he is a good player for us. But I had hoped he would taken the next step the way this guy has. We probably would have 3 or 4 more wins now had that happened.

Agree, as I have said before - this guy has a huge carrot in front of him. Another off season of two a day workouts working on ball handling and lateral quickness could elevate him to be the next J Newman. He is showing flashes.
Absolutely…if we look at last years nba class in 1st rd, the majority were guards, a few wings, and 2 bigs. Out of all the guards/wings none were huge scorers with the exception of Cam Thomas. The league drafts on potential…Tyler has that but needs to clean up mainly the things I’ve and 23 have said imo. I think it’s a toss up right now. Besides the real money is in the lottery and I don’t think he’s lottery at least not yet. If he stays he will be the man and have some very young talent to play with. Would he deem that worth it, is one of the questions.

Absolutely…if we look at last years nba class in 1st rd, the majority were guards, a few wings, and 2 bigs. Out of all the guards/wings none were huge scorers with the exception of Cam Thomas. The league drafts on potential…Tyler has that but needs to clean up mainly the things I’ve and 23 have said imo. I think it’s a toss up right now. Besides the real money is in the lottery and I don’t think he’s lottery at least not yet. If he stays he will be the man and have some very young talent to play with. Would he deem that worth it, is one of the questions.

the real money is in the lottery...yeah the money sucks otherwise might as well work at Home Depot lol...I don't follow nba draft projections much but nobody is projecting Burton as lottery next year anyway.

Reactions: SpiderDad75
the real money is in the lottery...yeah the money sucks otherwise might as well work at Home Depot lol...I don't follow nba draft projections much but nobody is projecting Burton as lottery next year anyway.
Right…go through the process this off-season and get the feedback. I don’t think he would be lottery but stranger things have happened. Ball handling #1 & wrkn on his lateral quickness #2 and defense. These things are things that can be fixed for the most part.

Reactions: kneepadmckinney
He doesn't need to be a lottery pick to make money in the NBA. League minimum this year is just over 900K a year. This is why the G-League, especially during COVID is such an attraction. You play in the G-League - you might make 50-60K a year, so nothing great. But you get that call up to the NBA team for 10 days - you get paid at league minimum for 10 days. So likely make just as much or more in those 10 days, than your G-league salary. So luck enough to get called up 2-3 times - and you had a good year financially.

Right…go through the process this off-season and get the feedback. I don’t think he would be lottery but stranger things have happened. Ball handling #1 & wrkn on his lateral quickness #2 and defense. These things are things that can be fixed for the most part.
Both points 1 and 2 were obvious again tonight.

Reactions: whampas
Burton will have a decision to make, but I wonder if making the NCAA helps him stay. Gets that monkey off his back so even if they don't make it next season, he won't be wondering how the tourney is elsewhere. And by going to the tourney this year - if he plays well, even if just one game - it only helps put his name on radars and next season he has a good shot at POY in A10.

He will likely always be a 2nd round guy if he gets drafted (almost all 1st round guys are underclassmen each year who are frosh and soph) - but just make a team and get paid, that is all that matters.

I think this tweet by JOC speaks even more now:

As indicated above, Burton will be the star of which everyone else on the team will orbit around next year. That--coupled with a strong showing (or at the very least, lots of media attention) this weekend--will help his stock & name recognition immensely and put him on a v short list for A10 POY preseason honors, etc.

He could bounce for a P5 school and fight for playing time among his draft competitors, or he could stay and hone his game even further in the off-season and star even brighter next year on a Spiders team that will likely be picked middle-of-pack but could do some surprise damage. All depends on transfer portal, etc.

I hope he does test out the draft workouts, etc. and hopefully the NBA coaches/scouts recommend he come back to Richmond. Regardless, he will be in the NBA and I can't wait for that to happen to him.

he's got some work to do but the sky's the limit. seems very coachable and hard working.

he can make it from anywhere, including here. I think and hope he really likes his teammates and the coaching staff.

he's got some work to do but the sky's the limit. seems very coachable and hard working.

he can make it from anywhere, including here. I think and hope he really likes his teammates and the coaching staff.
I hope he stays too. Great kid.

Reactions: WCUR11
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT