ADVERTISEMENT

Will Tyler be drafted into the NBA draft and if so when?

Tyler can and does make shots from all over the court though. Grant is mostly taking shots in close and misses a ton of them.

He still shoots 52-53% (consistently mid 50s during his career) versus Tyler at 46-47% (consistently mid 40s during his career), so who’s missing more shots.

Last edited:
He still shoots 52-53% (consistently mid 50s during his career) versus Tyler at 46-47% (consistently mid 40s during his career), so who’s missing more shots.
Big guys usually have a higher shooting percentage than wing players, because they get more shots from closer. Think it’s a bit of a misnomer to say Grant is a better player because of his shooting percentage.

Big guys usually have a higher shooting percentage than wing players, because they get more shots from closer. Think it’s a bit of a misnomer to say Grant is a better player because of his shooting percentage.
Better passer, gets doubled more and creates more opportunities for his teammates. He’s also likely a better dribbler too. :)

Reactions: gospidersgo
Considering where Grant is usually shooting from, he should be in the mid-60s. He often plays like he's 6'4" instead of 6'10". He shies away from contact and keeps the ball down by his shoulder a lot when he's going up for a layup, stuff like that. Drives me crazy. Just go up strong! You're the biggest dude on the court. They will call fouls on the defender.

Last edited:
Considering where Grant is usually shooting from, he should be in the mid-60s. He often plays like he's 6'4" instead of 6'10". He shies away from contact and keeps the ball down by his shoulder a lot when he's going to for a layup, stuff like that. Drives me crazy. Just go up strong! You're the biggest dude on the court. They will call fouls on the defender.
Gtfoh this is just nonsense.

Gilly, Grant and Tyler are all great players. In keeping with the subject of the Post, Tyler has the highest probability on playing in the NBA. If he keeps scoring 36 points in front of 9 NBA scouts, he might not be back next year.

Better passer, gets doubled more and creates more opportunities for his teammates. He’s also likely a better dribbler too. :)
I’ll agree with better passer, but your second point is just an extension of being a better passer. Burton is more active on the boards and better rebounder, better help defender (they’re both pretty poor on ball), and a better shooter. Their dribbling is probably about equal (which isn’t great for Burton) but I’d say he’s a better driver as well.

In my opinion, Burton is our most talented player, but Gilly is our most important. I also admittedly think the point is such an important position, especially in college.

Reactions: Zeeter and 72Spider
Gtfoh this is just nonsense.
You are nonsense, Grant would get his butt kicked by 90 % of the coaches out there for his super super soft defense and missing so many bunnies.

And now he and Gilly have the yips and are passing up wide open 5 footers. Both are fun players to watch but infuriating too. Both need to become leaders on offense for Spiedrs to have post season chance.

Last edited:
You are nonsense, Grant would get his butt kicked by 90 % of the coaches out there for his super super soft defense and missing so many bunnies.

And now he and Gilly have the yips and are passing up wide open 5 footers. Both are fun players to watch but infuriating too. Both need to become leaders on offense for Spiedrs to have post season chance.
You don’t deserve the number 23

Considering where Grant is usually shooting from, he should be in the mid-60s. He often plays like he's 6'4" instead of 6'10". He shies away from contact and keeps the ball down by his shoulder a lot when he's going to for a layup, stuff like that. Drives me crazy. Just go up strong! You're the biggest dude on the court. They will call fouls on the defender.
mid 60s? lol. if bigs shot mid 60s college teams wouldn't shoot any 3 pointers.
you must have been a guard. only guards think bigs shouldn't miss, like there's nobody defending inside.
Grant's shooting 58.4% from 2 this year. that's terrific.

I certainly think Grant can be more assertive on offense down the stretch. That bucket against Osun to put us up 7 was big time. He gave Osun his best move and won the battle against the best interior defender in the conference in a big moment. Need more of that.

you must have been a guard. only guards think bigs shouldn't miss, like there's nobody defending inside.
He just leaves a lot of points on the floor that I think are unnecessary. No reason he couldn't be more assertive at his height and dunk or go strong and get fouled. He's 6-10. We've had him six years and no one's taught him how to do that yet, which is more an indictment on the staff than on him.

He just leaves a lot of points on the floor that I think are unnecessary. No reason he couldn't be more assertive at his height and dunk or go strong and get fouled. He's 6-10. We've had him six years and no one's taught him how to do that yet, which is more an indictment on the staff than on him.
So 5 time All-A10, 2078 points, 940 rebounds, 437 assists is not enough for Grant? Well don't worry, he still has a lot more games to play as a Spider.

Didn't day anything about his career stats. Don't put words in my mouth. I'm simply making an observation about his inside game, which I think could be better, that's all.
Ok, well lets talk about this year. He is shooting 52.5% which is very good compared to any single season of our top 20 all-time scores. Below are the best seasons for each player.

Johnny Newman 55.1% Kevin Anderson, 45.8%, Kendall Anthony 46.6%, Ed harris 44.3%, David Gonzalvez 47.6%, John Scheitz 54.1%, TJ Cline 55.8%, Cortis Blair 46.8%, shanwndre Jones 46.3, Peter Woolfolk 56.1%, Kenny Atkinson 48.8%, Gilly 46.8%, Terry Allen 55.0%, jarod Stevenson 50.0%, Justin Harper 53.4%, Johny Moats 43.8%, Kenny Wood, 53.9% and Walt Lysaght 39.9%

Lots of guards on that list. All I'm saying is that he makes a lot of shots more difficult than they need to be for a guy who is 6-10 and mostly shoots from around the rim.

Great commentary but we can get back on point gents … love Grant even with the gaps in his game but this thread is on Tyler who is our best chance at the NBA since at the very least Justin Harper …

Reactions: UR80sfan
Great commentary but we can get back on point gents … love Grant even with the gaps in his game but this thread is on Tyler who is our best chance at the NBA since at the very least Justin Harper …
Good point, I wonder what the scouts notes say about Burton. In addition to the 36 points he had a few highlight plays. The 2 seconds on the clock inbounds catch and dunk was pretty strong. So was the block, which the refs called goal tending and a foul. Finally, he had a few impressive rebounds where he out jumped everyone.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
Section9RowDSeats7&9 this recent exchange is on point. Cheering on both of these studs!

Thank you for making this point — well said, Spider$

Reactions: SpiderDad75
Tyler's rebound and dunk when we were up 3 I think with 6:30 to go was one of the most impressive plays I have ever seen from a Spider. I went back and watched the replay 10-15 times. When Goose shot the ball, Tyler was the farthest away from the hoop of anyone on the court. By far. He then sprinted to the basket, out-jumped everyone for the rebound to the side of the hoop with two hands, and somehow managed to dunk with two hands all in the same motion.

It really changed the game, got the crowd fired up, and we never looked back.

Last edited:
Ok, well lets talk about this year. He is shooting 52.5% which is very good compared to any single season of our top 20 all-time scores. Below are the best seasons for each player.

Johnny Newman 55.1% Kevin Anderson, 45.8%, Kendall Anthony 46.6%, Ed harris 44.3%, David Gonzalvez 47.6%, John Scheitz 54.1%, TJ Cline 55.8%, Cortis Blair 46.8%, shanwndre Jones 46.3, Peter Woolfolk 56.1%, Kenny Atkinson 48.8%, Gilly 46.8%, Terry Allen 55.0%, jarod Stevenson 50.0%, Justin Harper 53.4%, Johny Moats 43.8%, Kenny Wood, 53.9% and Walt Lysaght 39.9%
Stop it 80s , those other guys are stone cold ncaa ballers. Tough as hell. If Golden had Tarrant as his coach maybe. But unfortunately he has Mr. Softie and follows suit.

Stop it 80s , those other guys are stone cold ncaa ballers. Tough as hell. If Golden had Tarrant as his coach maybe. But unfortunately he has Mr. Softie and follows suit.
Sorry, it was unfair of me to show statistics.

Tyler's rebound and dunk when we were up 3 I think with 6:30 to go was one of the most impressive plays I have ever seen from a Spider. I went back and watched the replay 10-15 times. When Goose shot the ball, Tyler was the farthest away from the hoop of anyone on the court. By far. He then sprinted to the basket, out-jumped everyone for the rebound to the side of the hoop with two hands, and somehow managed to dunk with two hands all in the same motion.

In another post I used the term "soaring". Sometimes that guy just plays up in the clouds.

Golden's an absolute baller too. there's nothing soft about his game no matter how many times someone here says there is. he goes his hardest every possession of every game. I love his effort. and he's put up numbers like no other Spider big man in history.

it's a team game. I know everyone likes to compare individual greatness based on team success ever since the Jordan/Lebron debate started, but in reality sometimes great players don't get to enjoy team glory. he should have danced two years ago. we'll never know. but I'm not holding that against him.

we're lucky to have Grant here. feel like he's pretty underappreciated by some.

Golden's an absolute baller too. there's nothing soft about his game no matter how many times someone here says there is. he goes his hardest every possession of every game. I love his effort. and he's put up numbers like no other Spider big man in history.

it's a team game. I know everyone likes to compare individual greatness based on team success ever since the Jordan/Lebron debate started, but in reality sometimes great players don't get to enjoy team glory. he should have danced two years ago. we'll never know. but I'm not holding that against him.

we're lucky to have Grant here. feel like he's pretty underappreciated by some.
Ya he’s not soft other than the fact that he couldn’t guard my 90 year old grandmother in the paint. Grant will never be as much a baller as the “absolute studs” that longwood had when they beat us a few years ago. All time rest mooney quote.

• Haha
Reactions: 8legs1dream

Right, this was the game changing play and statement play in my opinion. To the arguments about Grant and his soft play inside, there was at least two plays against St. Bonnie where he could have made a similar statement by just going up and two handed dunking it. He chose to try and put it off the window instead, ended up missing both.

When your a 6'10 center and don't dunk, yes, I'm sorry that is not playing your position with a killer instinct. Tyler plays his position with a killer instinct. Whether it be dunks or when he soars the air out of the no where to grab a rebound at its peak. Those are plays when you are showing everyone in the building, including the other team, I am better than you and I want it more than you.

No one is saying Grant is not a great player and hasn't put up some ridiculous numbers for us, he has. He just doesn't make many statement plays like Tyler does on a fairly routine basis.

Reactions: LongTimeSpiderFan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT