ADVERTISEMENT

Will Tyler be drafted into the NBA draft and if so when?

I'm 73 and I had two scotches when I got home to calm down.....not from the game (that was no surprise), but from the 28 minutes it took me to get out of the parking lot that I paid $140 to park in.

did the Aussie open final help too?

I know many on the board that comment the most do not attend the games in person, so not everyone saw the super senior “feature” shown on the video boards during the timeout. This week’s super senior was Grant Golden. The feature was the silly Q&A type thing - favorite song, favorite sports movie and this time the last question was impersonate a team mate. Grant chose Burton and said something like “I did everything I could, I don’t know how you can expect more from me”. That says volumes to me.

Richmond has been hyping the Queally Center and all the wellness support it offers to athletes. Let’s hope it is more than just talk. There is no doubt that currently a significant opponent is not one in a different jersey.

• Sad
Reactions: 8legs1dream
I know many on the board that comment the most do not attend the games in person, so not everyone saw the super senior “feature” shown on the video boards during the timeout. This week’s super senior was Grant Golden. The feature was the silly Q&A type thing - favorite song, favorite sports movie and this time the last question was impersonate a team mate. Grant chose Burton and said something like “I did everything I could, I don’t know how you can expect more from me”. That says volumes to me.

Richmond has been hyping the Queally Center and all the wellness support it offers to athletes. Let’s hope it is more than just talk. There is no doubt that currently a significant opponent is not one in a different jersey.

I thought that was a weird thing for him to imitate as well.

agreed completely, I thought that was such poor taste as clearly this is a concern Tyler has voiced before. Surprised not only that Grant was foolish enough to speak it but that our athletic department saw fit to put it on blast in front of a packed house like that :oops:

agreed completely, I thought that was such poor taste as clearly this is a concern Tyler has voiced before. Surprised not only that Grant was foolish enough to speak it but that our athletic department saw fit to put it on blast in front of a packed house like that :oops:
Very fitting the grant thing went on the video board right after he had his shot absolutely stuffed at the other end. Hate to say it but I won’t remember anyone in this class fondly.

• Sad
Shouldn’t surprise anyone that not edited. Fits in perfectly with the way AD top down things get handled with bb program.

I am sure an NBA scout saw Burton shoot over the backboard. That was enough evidence he isn't ready.

Oh yes, because no player in the league has ever shot a bad shot...Tyler's jumpshot isn't an issue except that it needs a little quicker release.
Right now Tyler is going thru what all athletes go thru: a slump. The only way you get over it, is to keep playing hard and shooting. What made Blake Francis dangerous, was that he never gave up and kept playing at full bore. Saw this in Tyler in the Rhode Island game from a lousy first half to a strong second half.

Right now Tyler is going thru what all athletes go thru: a slump. The only way you get over it, is to keep playing hard and shooting. What made Blake Francis dangerous, was that he never gave up and kept playing at full bore. Saw this in Tyler in the Rhode Island game from a lousy first half to a strong second half.
Absolutely agree. It happens

Reactions: Section9.RowD
Tyler is completely in his own head right now. He can't hit the broad side of a barn. I knew when he missed that wide open lay-up in the second half, that Mooney should have probably pulled him because it just wasn't going to happen for him on Saturday. It is 100% mental/confidence issue.

Tyler is completely in his own head right now. He can't hit the broad side of a barn. I knew when he missed that wide open lay-up in the second half, that Mooney should have probably pulled him because it just wasn't going to happen for him on Saturday. It is 100% mental/confidence issue.
I agree I think coaches should pull a player if they are stinking it up and talk to him, let him stew on the bench for a while then get him back out there for another shot. If the player can’t give you anything…he needs to come be an assistant coach for the rest of the time.

it's tough to coach a good shooter who's missing shots. a shooter always believes the next shot is going in. and you want him believing that. start pulling guys when they miss a few shots, and you really get in their heads. next you're pulling Gilly and Goose too. and eventually everyone else.

I only coached youth, but I don't agree with pulling a player for that kind of physical mistake. if you see it affecting the player in other ways, by all means pull him. I'd actually tell kids I won't pull you for missing a good shot. I will pull you for not taking it though. I want you confident.

that's extreme of course. eventually a kid is hurting the team by missing a lot of shots. 1-12 hurts. but even at 1-11 I still felt Tyler had a better chance of hitting the next big shot than the bench options, and he does rebound.

Reactions: SpiderK
it's tough to coach a good shooter who's missing shots. a shooter always believes the next shot is going in. and you want him believing that. start pulling guys when they miss a few shots, and you really get in their heads. next you're pulling Gilly and Goose too. and eventually everyone else.

I only coached youth, but I don't agree with pulling a player for that kind of physical mistake. if you see it affecting the player in other ways, by all means pull him. I'd actually tell kids I won't pull you for missing a good shot. I will pull you for not taking it though. I want you confident.

that's extreme of course. eventually a kid is hurting the team by missing a lot of shots. 1-12 hurts. but even at 1-11 I still felt Tyler had a better chance of hitting the next big shot than the bench options, and he does rebound.
Oh for sure…don’t pull a player just for an off shooting night. But for defense, turning the ball over, effort, etc. There have times this season guys should have sat. But that has to be across the board too. Not just for young guys the vets need to feel that pine too.

Last edited:
What made Francis dangerous was he was pretty much the only Spider able to get a quality shot off on his own. Do we really have anyone with the skill and athleticism to do that this year? No. (maybe Cayo occasionally). CMs recruiting may be improved these last few years but it remains THE problem STILL after 17 years. He has a few good pieces but the lack of athleticism should be obvious even to the most casual observer...

Reactions: Eight Legger
Oh for sure…don’t pull a player just for an off shooting night. But for defense, turning the ball over, effort, etc. There have times this season guys should have sat. But that has to be across the board too. Not just for young guys the vets need to feel that pine too.
This has been an issue with Mooney all along. Just like most years you can absolutely pen in the starting 5, same goes for the actual game playing time. Young guys that make one turn over - pulled. Veteran guys that make turn overs and allow low effort defense and repeated blow bys stay in the game.

I agree I think coaches should pull a player if they are stinking it up and talk to him, let him stew on the bench for a while then get him back out there for another shot. If the player can’t give you anything…he needs to come be an assistant coach for the rest of the time.
Oops

Essentially what spiderdad75 said is what Mooney did in the last few 1st half minutes of the Duq game and then Tyler went back in and had the end of half 3 and has been fabulous since … not since what your oops means ?
It means Burton is the best player we have by far. Even when he is not scoring 36 points he is giving us double digit rebounds and altering shots. Things that no one else on this team can or will do. He should be out there 36 minutes a game.

It means Burton is the best player we have by far. Even when he is not scoring 36 points he is giving us double digit rebounds and altering shots. Things that no one else on this team can or will do. He should be out there 36 minutes a game.
Ok agree with you - but sitting just a bit when he was slumping isn’t horrible - go spiders

Essentially what spiderdad75 said is what Mooney did in the last few 1st half minutes of the Duq game and then Tyler went back in and had the end of half 3 and has been fabulous since … not since what your oops means ?
And I wasn’t solely speaking on Tyler but any player. Most prob got that…but one.

I don’t think this is true. GG is our best and most talented player.

Tyler has been painful to watch over the past several weeks as we all know how much talent he has and how much he was pressing to do better.
I had a feeling he was going to break out of his funk after the Duquesne game but didn’t predict he would have this quality of a game. I was definitely surprised when his stats flashed on the screen and it showed 17 points in the first half — they were a quiet 17. And then he seemingly made everything. This must be the best individual offensive performance in some time for us.

I don’t think this is true. GG is our best and most talented player.
I know people will balk at this but let’s look at the stats. Before last nights game, Tyler was averaging 16 pts per game on 46% shooting. Grant is averaging 53% shooting and 15 pts per game — on way less minutes.

And Grant creates many more opportunities for others as he is a far better passer and gets doubled more often. Our offense is best with grant leading the two man offense at the top of the key while also giving him opportunities to pound the inside.

Tyler also makes Grant look like Denis Rodman out there on defense as Tyler always seemingly allows his man to dribble right by him. Every once and a while Tyler makes a highlight reel block swatting from behind, so that’s cool I guess.

Don’t get me wrong, I love watching Tyler play the game and find myself often amazed after he makes a ridiculous slam or sky high rebound. And his potential to be great is what really is exciting as he is so gifted, but right now I think GG is the best player on this team.

Last edited:
Reactions: coach fezz
I know people will balk at this but let’s look at the stats. Before last nights game, Tyler was averaging 16 pts per game on 46% shooting. Grant is averaging 53% shooting and 15 pts per game — on way less minutes.

And Grant creates many more opportunities for others as he is a far better passer and gets doubled more often. Our offense is best with grant leading the two man offense at the top of the key while also giving him opportunities to pound the inside.

Tyler also makes Grant look like Denis Rodman out there on defense as Tyler always seemingly allows his man to dribble right by him. Every once and a while Tyler makes a highlight reel block swatting from behind, so that’s cool I guess.

Don’t get me wrong, I love watching Tyler play the game and find myself often amazed after he makes a ridiculous slam or sky high rebound. And his potential to be great is what really is exciting as he is so gifted, but right now I think GG is the best player on this team.
Grant is a solid UR player, but he is not the one that the one opposing coaches fear. GG is very limited as to what he can do, TB is not. I do like seeing GG, TB, Cayo and Grace going to the basket for offensive rebounds and tap ins the past 3 or 4 games. We haven’t done that in years.

There are a number of ways to judge the “best” player. I am pretty sure that Mooney would say Gilyard is the best player, since he rarely comes out of the game.
I suspect you’re right about Mooney/Gilyard, but it’s simply not true.
Minutes is objectively not the right way to judge our best player. Mooney and Grant have talked often about why they take him out as it helps save his legs late in games and should help him during March.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT