ADVERTISEMENT

Will Tyler be drafted into the NBA draft and if so when?

UR80sfan

Star
Jan 28, 2018
Will Tyler be drafted into the NBA draft and if so when? He is currently not listed in most mock simulations, but if he keeps playing like he is at some point he will probably be added. The answer when depends if he has the potential to keep getting better and where is he projected to be selected in the draft. This is a very important point, because there is a huge difference in career earnings between 1st and 2nd round picks. Not only do first round picks get substantially more income per year and longer guarantees, they also stay in the league longer. One study of 2nd round picks over a 10 year period show that less than 3 quarters of 2nd round players make it to the NBA and only 26% make it past the 3rd year.

Tyler has improved significantly each year at U of R and currently has one of the best 3 point shooting forms in college. He has the highest potential to play in the NBA from Richmond since Johnny Newman. I don’t think he has peaked and has the potential someday to be a 1st rounder. I hate mentioning areas of potential improvement for a player at such a high level, but imagine if he perfected driving to the basket like the guy from NC State. He would be unstoppable and average in the mid 20s.

I think he will be a 1st round pick, but very low probability it is this year. There is a high probability we will have him at least one more year and it is going to be a lot of fun watching him both at Richmond and hopefully in the NBA.

BTW, if he does come back next year we could have a pretty good team with some quality guys coming off the bench.

Last edited:
One disagreement with your analysis: Tyler has rather poor fadeaway shooting results. He, and the team in total, are really bad at the fadeaway. It’s a generally low pctg shot so maybe unsurprising.

But I do think Tyler has first round potential, particularly if his three point pctg stays high.

Reactions: coach fezz
If he does stay another year in college, will it be at Richmond knowing he has an all new starting lineup to deal with? On a related note, how would you feel about a player that was with our program for 3-4 years and then transferred to play his final year somewhere else? Would you still consider him a Richmond player even if it said Kansas or some other school next to his name whenever he played on TV or when you saw his profile on ESPN?

When will Tyler enter the draft? He is currently not listed in most mock simulations, but if he keeps playing like he is at some point he will be added. The answer to this questions depends if he has the potential to keep getting better and where is he projected to be selected in the draft. This is a very important point, because there is a huge difference in career earnings between 1st and 2nd round picks. Not only do first round picks get substantially more income per year and longer guarantees, they also stay in the league longer. One study of 2nd round picks over a 10 year period show that less than 3 quarters of 2nd round players make it to the NBA and only 26% make it past the 3rd year.

Tyler has improved significantly each year at U of R and currently has one of the best 3 point shooting and fade away jumping forms in college. He is the best player to play for Richmond since Johnny Newman. I don’t think he has peaked and has the potential someday to be a lottery pick. I hate mentioning areas of potential improvement for a player at such a high level, but imagine if he perfected driving to the basket like the guy from NC State. He would be unstoppable and average in the mid 20s.

I think he will be a 1st round pick, but very low probability it is this year. There is a high probability we will have him at least one more year and it is going to be a lot of fun watching him both at Richmond and hopefully in the NBA.

BTW, if he does come back next year we could have a pretty good team with some quality guys coming off the bench.
I appreciate your enthusiasm, but not a lottery pick and not the best player since Johnny Newman (unless you mean best pro prospect then I'll give you a "maybe"). He doesn't have the best form on his 3's and the fact that it goes in at such a high percentage is a tribute to his athleticism and hard work.
I do agree with you that he has improved every year and if he deserved A10s most improved player last year he may well deserve it again (but tough to win that one two years straight... Ever been done?)
I don't follow the NBA but I think last years NBAs 1st and 2nd round picks were weak with quality players staying in school... So tough to come out this year.
Tyler is benefitting greatly from teams often doubling Golden and watching other proven scorers we have...as of the last game he's basically had free reign to play as he likes with others getting the attention he might be getting as the season goes on. He for sure won't have that luxury next year.
Tyler makes this team good - sometimes very good - and he'll be in the discussion for POY if he continues but you can be POY in in the A10 and not even make the NBA. I wish him the best as I really enjoy what he brings to this team

Reactions: Long Island Spiders
I appreciate your enthusiasm, but not a lottery pick and not the best player since Johnny Newman (unless you mean best pro prospect then I'll give you a "maybe"). He doesn't have the best form on his 3's and the fact that it goes in at such a high percentage is a tribute to his athleticism and hard work.
I do agree with you that he has improved every year and if he deserved A10s most improved player last year he may well deserve it again (but tough to win that one two years straight... Ever been done?)
I don't follow the NBA but I think last years NBAs 1st and 2nd round picks were weak with quality players staying in school... So tough to come out this year.
Tyler is benefitting greatly from teams often doubling Golden and watching other proven scorers we have...as of the last game he's basically had free reign to play as he likes with others getting the attention he might be getting as the season goes on. He for sure won't have that luxury next year.
Tyler makes this team good - sometimes very good - and he'll be in the discussion for POY if he continues but you can be POY in in the A10 and not even make the NBA. I wish him the best as I really enjoy what he brings to this team
You make some good points. I have modified my post based on some of your comments.

Out of curiosity, what do you think is wrong with his three-point form?

Out of curiosity, what do you think is wrong with his three-point form?
Not LTSF the poster, or an expert, but I notice a slow release is one thing I notice. Its smooth but he needs to cut that release timing down. Reminds me of how Byron Leftwich would throw a football. Man had an amazing cannon but not great form, against collegiate competition he could get away with the slow release time to launch bombs. As soon as he got to the NFL, everything is faster and his arm release speed became a liability. Still had a solid career, but didn't live up to his 1st round hype.

If TB were to play in the Association, that timing needs to be cut down. He has NBA athleticism and a great work ethic that would sit well with whatever team he would land on. Needs to be better on ball defense and releasing that 3. I think he'll make a roster, but hell probably be something like a UDFA, perhaps a second round pick if the draft was today.

Reactions: nathanw19
Let Burton play his college basketball without lots of speculation. Put it this way - it is an absolute delight watching him play in a Richmond Spiders uniform this season! There is plenty of time for him to determine what he wants to do in the future. Right now let's concentrate on St. Joe's.

But can you be NPOY and not make the NBA? ;)

One thing not really addressed in this string is defense. Not sure Tyler has a position he can defend in the NBA. He'd likely have to be a three/wing, but he really struggles even at our level keeping guys in front of him - - he'd really get eaten alive in the NBA (unless one believes his defense problems are fixable with better coaching). As a 4, I just don't think he is big enough strong enough although with small ball lineups he might be able to be a 4 (of course if the other team is also playing small ball too, he's right back in same spot he was as a three). Bottom line I think is that he's not so "draftable" because his defense is going to hurt his stock. Look at a Luke Garza. National Player of the year and wasn't drafted til 52 because no one could project him having a position he could defend. And he was way, way, way more advanced offensively than Tyler! Different positions, but same problem!

I am not a fan of the NBA, but there is definitely a big difference between making it TO the NBA and making it IN the NBA.

If it is the second that Tyler is shooting for, then I think he has a ways to go. It sounds like he does have a good work ethic and it will definitely take significantly more hard work to get there and I would guess he knows it.

A good defensive coach can fix whatever is wrong with Burton there. Mooney isn't one, so these days we're never going to produce a stud defender in the true overall sense. Gilyard obviously is great at one aspect of defense.

Will Tyler be drafted into the NBA draft and if so when? He is currently not listed in most mock simulations, but if he keeps playing like he is at some point he will probably be added. The answer when depends if he has the potential to keep getting better and where is he projected to be selected in the draft. This is a very important point, because there is a huge difference in career earnings between 1st and 2nd round picks. Not only do first round picks get substantially more income per year and longer guarantees, they also stay in the league longer. One study of 2nd round picks over a 10 year period show that less than 3 quarters of 2nd round players make it to the NBA and only 26% make it past the 3rd year.

Tyler has improved significantly each year at U of R and currently has one of the best 3 point shooting forms in college. He has the highest potential to play in the NBA from Richmond since Johnny Newman. I don’t think he has peaked and has the potential someday to be a 1st rounder. I hate mentioning areas of potential improvement for a player at such a high level, but imagine if he perfected driving to the basket like the guy from NC State. He would be unstoppable and average in the mid 20s.

To keep things realistic, Tyler would NOT be an above-average athlete in the NBA...he'd probably be considerd just an average athlete (NC state, for instance, had 2 or 3 better athletes than Tyler in the game most of the time and that's not even counting players on their bench.) Tyler is a an elite athlete compared to the average player at UR which is why he stands out so don't for a second think his athleticism would stand out in the NBA. What he has shown is some skill to compliment that athleticism and that is certainly unique at a school like UR. He's got a few years to improve those skills but my money is on UDFA...ends up overseas.
And I'll answer your question about his shot later... I'm tired. But I never said it was "wrong"... It's just not a prototypical NBA jump shot. And being that it's not ideal form it makes improvement more difficult.

his shot is a little higher than most, but I think he has great form. yes it can get quicker and that's something he can work on.

I think his defense has improved dramatically. I'm not sure if those seeing him not keeping his man infront of him are seeing his play recently, or are rembembering his defense from before.

he's athletic enough for the NBA and has the size. that's a combination not many clear. Garza is an example of a great college ball player who just isn't athletic enough for the NBA. not a good comparison for Tyler.

This will depend on how well he does next year when he is the main option and teams can focus on him. He will need to extend his range as for him to just play on the wing in the NBA he is a little smaller than they would probably like in terms of strength.
I don't think right now he looks like a draft pick, but definitely someone who would get invited to a summer league team and maybe make a roster or G-League team. But remember - he has possibly 2 more years to develop, so still too early to tell for him.

his shot is a little higher than most, but I think he has great form. yes it can get quicker and that's something he can work on.

I think his defense has improved dramatically. I'm not sure if those seeing him not keeping his man infront of him are seeing his play recently, or are rembembering his defense from before.

he's athletic enough for the NBA and has the size. that's a combination not many clear. Garza is an example of a great college ball player who just isn't athletic enough for the NBA. not a good comparison for Tyler.
Look I am not here to bash Tyler certainly, just respond to the thread. Tyler has, as noted, average NBA athleticism. But his athleticism, also as noted above, looks better than it is at our level. He can really jump, but l don't see that he has good lateral movement and he is not what basketball folks call a "quick jumper" which is a skill many in the NBA have that goes unnoticed. In fact, he's a 'gatherer" - - someone who has to gather himself and build up to a leap. Compare that to a Dennis Rodman type who can get max vert with a quick burst and can also pop right back up on a 2nd jump! This is an example of a difference between NBA athleticism and college level athleticism.

Agree that in one sense he's "athletic enough" to perhaps make it because less athletic players certainly have. But NBA players of average athleticism have to excel in one area or another if not more than one. Not sure what that will be for Tyler. He's shot the three better this year, but not sure how well his jumper will translate to NBA 3 point line and just cant see him being a guy who makes it as "shooter" in the NBA. " Three and D" guys are huge in the NBA right now and size wise he fits the bill, but not sure he can do either the three or the D at NBA level. The lateral movement he has shown in his career in particular would worry me. I think he's a perfect guy to go to the G league/overseas to improve and perhaps show what he can do.

He and Garza are different certainly, but they share a common problem, which is that they don't appear to be ready to guard their position in the NBA. Garza had enough skill and production that someone took a chance (at 52 only). Not sure Tyler has that going for him to justify the pick. Its certainly possible an NBA talent scout that knows a whole lot more than me can look at his lateral movement and see correctable issues and not just a lack of the physical gift needed.

All that said, remember, I was the guy who watched Mikal Bridges play from middle school through high school as was sure he wasn't going to be much at Villanova much less the NBA.

You guys are wwwwaaaayyyy underestimating Tyler's talent. He is currently dominate when he is on and he is getting better every game. It is just a matter of time until he is drafted into the NBA.

Out of curiosity, what do you think is wrong with his three-To keep things realistic, Tyler would NOT be an above-average athlete in the NBA...he'd probably be considerd just an average athlete (NC state, for instance, had 2 or 3 better athletes than Tyler in the game most of the time and that's not even counting players on their bench.) Tyler is a an elite athlete compared to the average player at UR which is why he stands out so don't for a second think his athleticism would stand out in the NBA. What he has shown is some skill to compliment that athleticism and that is certainly unique at a school like UR. He's got a few years to improve those skills but my money is on UDFA...ends up overseas.
And I'll answer your question about his shot later... I'm tired. But I never said it was "wrong"... It's just not a prototypical NBA jump shot. And being that it's not ideal form it makes improvement more difficult.
i stopped reading after you said NC State had 2 or 3 better athletes than TB. Did you even watch the game? Y/N?

I think your quotes mixed up who said what lol. I only asked what was wrong with his shot. I definitely agree that NC State did not have 2 or 3 better all-around athletes than Tyler.

After seeing Bones Hyland go in the first round last year, I feel confident to say that Tyler will get a shot in league.

Reactions: Eight Legger
I think an interesting comparison for Burton is with Jacob Toppin. Toppin looked like he had limitless potential as a freshman at URI, a taller version of Burton. So far the move to Kentucky has not seemed to work out, Cal is going to recruit best players and Toppin's role seems limited.

If Burton does get drafted, Mooney would be smart to go hard after guys like Toppin, or the player in the portal from Texas, using Burton as an example of ability to raise your profile and be the man in the A10. But of course Mooney doesn't seem to be aggressive or able to close deal on these types.

Reactions: wr70beh
Agree about getting a shot, but will he be drafted as the topic of the thread asks?
Fair point. Yes, I think he is going to be drafted. I think he returns next year and is probably a late first rounder in 2023. I'm sure he will go to pre-draft workouts and perhaps they say, he will be this year, in which case, he has to declare.

However, as other have noted, I think he needs to work on his defense to get drafted and suspect that is the advice he will here.

Tyler has two NBA quality skills right now, his athleticism and his shooting. That fadeaway shot he developed is lethal and hitting 3 pointers at 40% plus is also NBA worthy. Also coachable and has shown great development is his first 3 years (I think that still means something in the NBA). Right now, those attributes are strong enough for a second round pick, if he shows he can guard a little bit better, that makes him first round material in my book.

I tend to agree with you 97 on this, I think he is trending in the right direction. Yes, some gaps and room for improvement, but watching a lot of hoops, he is a good one. The ga ga athletes on NC STate, the alpha one shoots 0.00006 from three. Just saw Jordan Schakel from SDSU get into a game with the Wizards. Tyler stays on this path and he can make it.

Fair point. Yes, I think he is going to be drafted. I think he returns next year and is probably a late first rounder in 2023. I'm sure he will go to pre-draft workouts and perhaps they say, he will be this year, in which case, he has to declare.

However, as other have noted, I think he needs to work on his defense to get drafted and suspect that is the advice he will here.

Tyler has two NBA quality skills right now, his athleticism and his shooting. That fadeaway shot he developed is lethal and hitting 3 pointers at 40% plus is also NBA worthy. Also coachable and has shown great development is his first 3 years (I think that still means something in the NBA). Right now, those attributes are strong enough for a second round pick, if he shows he can guard a little bit better, that makes him first round material in my book.
OK... I think the Bones comparison is legit - a good combination of athleticism and skill. Interestingly, I think Bones has slightly more skill and slightly less athleticism than Burton which a bit of a head scratcher for me but maybe I haven't seen Bones play enough.
Burton doesn't seem to have a quick shot/jumps, and couple that with what I see as tougher year next year with the extra attention he'll most certainly get and it'll be interesting to see what you think this time next year.
He'll get a shot but he needs another year of noticeable improvement if hes to be drafted. For now, he makes this team very good.

OK... I think the Bones comparison is legit - a good combination of athleticism and skill. Interestingly, I think Bones has slightly more skill and slightly less athleticism than Burton which a bit of a head scratcher for me but maybe I haven't seen Bones play enough.
Burton doesn't seem to have a quick shot/jumps, and couple that with what I see as tougher year next year with the extra attention he'll most certainly get and it'll be interesting to see what you think this time next year.
He'll get a shot but he needs another year of noticeable improvement if hes to be drafted. For now, he makes this team very good.
From what I heard from VCU folks - Bones made it simply on his shooting. He apparently shot lights out in some of his workouts with teams and the current NBA system - a cheap rookie shooter is a good investment in the current NBA system.

I think Burton is a good shooter - but I have not yet seen if he has NBA 3 point range. I am sure even if he doesn't - given his good form and stroke currently he could develop it, but that might be something teams look for in workouts as well.

I think Burton's best shot will be to continue his strong play this year. A tourney appearance would certainly help as well. Then come back next year where he will be #1 option on the team, and if he can compete for (be in the conversation) or win A10 player of the year - then he should leave. I hate to say it - but the longer you stay in college these days, the less you are looked at by NBA teams. Its almost like if your a senior and entering NBA you have little to no potential or room for growth, but the sooner you can get - the bigger the "uknown potential" and that alone can jump you several spots in the draft.

Most likely he will transfer to a high profile team for two years and then be drafted. He won’t stay with the 7-23 team that we will be next year.
Could not disagree more. First of all, the team will be much better they you indicate next year. Second, this is what a lot of people repeatedly said about Golden, Gilyard, Sherod and Cayo. All of them could have transferred, but didn't.

There are a lot of variables to evaluate a coach and Mooney and his coaching team have done a terrific job in developing players that has build very strong loyalty from them. Whether you are a Mooney fan or not, you have to give him credit for the low transfer rate of his top players.

Tyler has made huge improvements each year he has been at Richmond and many people believe he is on track to one day be drafted into the NBA. There is risk with transferring that he does not need to take. Transferring did not helped the professional careers of the 2 higher profile transfers over the past decade

I think a lot depends on this year result. If we make the tourney and he has a good showing. I think he stays. If we don't make it - I could see him testing the waters. Something that could help him make a run at the NBA is a game or two in the tourney with a good showing.

Could not disagree more. First of all, the team will be much better they you indicate next year. Second, this is what a lot of people repeatedly said about Golden, Gilyard, Sherod and Cayo. All of them could have transferred, but didn't.

There are a lot of variables to evaluate a coach and Mooney and his coaching team have done a terrific job in developing players that has build very strong loyalty from them. Whether you are a Mooney fan or not, you have to give him credit for the low transfer rate of his top players.

Tyler has made huge improvements each year he has been at Richmond and many people believe he is on track to one day be drafted into the NBA. There is risk with transferring that he does not need to take. Transferring did not helped the professional careers of the 2 higher profile transfers over the past decade
Yes

I never said those 4 would transfer, especially not to a P5 school. Burton is different. He will be a star on any team in the country the next two years. We will not win 10 games next year with what’s left.

I never said those 4 would transfer, especially not to a P5 school. Burton is different. He will be a star on any team in the country the next two years. We will not win 10 games next year with what’s left.
"a star on any team in the country". Slow the hyperbole Bubba...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT