ADVERTISEMENT

Wichita State Game Thread - 11/17/2022

Maybe in the 40th year of coaching we can draw up a play there to at least have the ball moving toward the rim…

We have a lot of problems. Defense is a huge one, but not the only one for sure.

The issue as it has been for years is that we have a lot of guys who have real strengths, but real weaknesses as well. And we really struggle to play to strengths and hide weaknesses. We are a system team at both ends and the system isn't designed for players we have - - - we force all guys into our system. This isn't new - - its the way we run our program. Its especially glaring early is seasons because the new guys aren't playing naturally and they don't know the system well enough yet either.

I think Witchita is an average team just like us. I think we will be around .500. That would be about right for a CM team after losing all the experience that we did (see 2012). Still think Quinn needs to be down low when in the game and we need more out of either Goose or Dji. Neither are a threat to score. I like Roche, but he isn't a great defender. However I think he has to play big minutes because we desperately need his shooting. It will never happen, but a zone might be a good fit for this team.

Reactions: nathanw19
We just watched Mooney bball without 5th and 6 year starters to offset his horrendous coaching. Against the zone we are always doomed. No idea how to break it and we settle for perimeter shots only.

A Mooney question for you.
Does he tell, what is supposed to be a really good team, you played really badly?
Does he tell them that you don’t wander around outside the arch and hope you
can shooting 3’s ? Or does he make excuses?

I'll cut Nelson a brake. He's played 4 games as the the main point guard. Much more concerned about the lack of development in Goose and Dji. Both guys have been in the program multiple years. We didn't need their offense last year, but this year we do.
Can’t disagree with this.

A Mooney question for you.
Does he tell, what is supposed to be a really good team, you played really badly?
Does he tell them that you don’t wander around outside the arch and hope you
can shooting 3’s ? Or does he make excuses?
He tells them to figure it out. After all they are pros. According to Mooney we competed

Reactions: Spiderfan123456
Agree that Moon is trying to pound the round pegs in the square holes. Jaynel is going to have ups and downs, he will get more consistent as the season goes on. We need to run the offense through Bigs, Burton and Nelson.

Crabtree is the forgotten, invisible man. He is now practicing per BB. I actually think he can help. If he is healthy, he can stabilize and if he can shoot it this year could be a big spark.

Let's see, Syracuse is a well schooled zone defense team. What could go wrong?

Tyler seemed animated at one point towards Quinn … probably needed and glad to see him becoming the leader
Nelson let him have it a few times too which was odd b/c most of the times Quinn didn’t get a clean catch on one of his passes looked to be because of the lazy manner in which Nelson was getting them to him. Wasn’t great body language as a PG.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT