ADVERTISEMENT

Wichita State Game Thread - 11/17/2022

flyder19

Rookie
Gold Member
Nov 7, 2022
Opponent: Wichita State --> Preseason 6th in AAC

"Seven players transferred out in what was a mass exodus following Year 2 for coach Isaac Brown, and things feel rather uneasy in Wichita after the program’s first sub-.500 conference finish in over a decade. Hopes of a turnaround hinge heavily on returning
point guard Craig Porter Jr., a stat-sheet stuffer who seems ready for a breakout season in his third year with the program. And while the portal took plenty from the Shockers, newcomers like Colby Rogers (Siena), Jaron Pierre Jr. (Southern Miss), Gus Okafor (Southeastern Louisiana) and James Rojas (Alabama) are all good enough to be in the rotation or more at this level. Postseason Projection: Better Luck Next Year"

Recent Results:
  • Central Arkansas - W: 79-55 --> Preseason 11th in ASun
  • Alcorn State - L: 57-66 --> Preseason 2nd in SWAC
Team Stats:
  • Points Per Game: 68
  • Points Allowed Per Game: 60.5
  • 2 PT Shooting: 54.8% (40/73)
  • 3 PT Shooting: 22.2% (10/45)
  • FT Shooting: 66.7 (26/39)
Key Player:

Craig Porter Jr.
  • 15.5 PPG (Leads team)
  • 59.1 FG% (66.7% from 2, 42.9% from 3)
  • 66.7% from FT
  • 6.5 RPG (Leads team)
  • 3.5 APG (Leads team)
  • 3.5 TOPG (Leads team)
Player RPIM's:

PlayerRPIMRPIM/Game
Craig Porter49.1624.58
Jaykwon Walton30.0715.03
Kenny Pohto23.5611.78
Jaron Pierre22.6111.30
James Rojas18.669.33
Gus Okafor14.777.38
Quincy Ballard11.005.50
Isaac Abidde10.625.31
Melvion Flanagan2.802.80
Xavier Bell4.902.45
Jalen Ricks4.382.19
Shammah Scott-2.17-1.08

Would be nice to come out blazing the way Charleston did last night. We rarely do that against anyone.

If I was Wichita State, I would look at Richmond's film against Charleston and say, we just need to feed Porter the ball and let him take over. Not sure of his 3-Point prowess, but emulating what Charleston did to us early would be the right recipe in my book.

Richmond showed they really couldn't handle Reyne Smith early and it bit us.

If I was Richmond, I'd attack Porter early and force other players to produce, as so far, they have not.

Keep in mind, besides their record and mediocre (at best) game performance, this is their first road game of the season. Teams in their position tend to lose their first road game.

Wichita State has 22 turnovers to 20 assists this season against Central Arkansas and Alcorn State. Their best player Caleb Porter Jr. has a 1:1 assist to turnover ratio. I’d like for us to keep him there. How about we bring that press out a little earlier and see if we can pick up some easy points.

Also, they’re 10-45 from deep this season…let’s not bite on the pump fake and give them open looks.

Wichita State has 22 turnovers to 20 assists this season against Central Arkansas and Alcorn State. Their best player Caleb Porter Jr. has a 1:1 assist to turnover ratio. I’d like for us to keep him there. How about we bring that press out a little earlier and see if we can pick up some easy points.

Also, they’re 10-45 from deep this season…let’s not bite on the pump fake and give them open looks.
Yes pump fakes have been driving me crazy too.

Since Matt is out, do you guys think we can exploit that spot when Neal is out & assuming Mike isn't in. Who could be that guy to best exploit that matchup? It looks like Pohto 6'11 forward, 7' Ballard & Rojas 6'8 are some of their options...I believe we have a couple of guys that can.

Reactions: Long Island Spiders
Since Matt is out, do you guys think we can exploit that spot when Neal is out & assuming Mike isn't in. Who could be that guy to best exploit that matchup? It looks like Pohto 6'11 forward, 7' Ballard & Rojas 6'8 are some of their options...I believe we have a couple of guys that can.
personally I want to see a heavy dose of Walz instead of going small. throw him in the fire for one game, and see what we have to work with.
25 Quinn / 15 Walz

Last time I saw Wichita ST in person was 3/24/2006 in DC as they lost to GMU...

Last time I saw Wichita ST in person was 3/24/2006 in DC as they lost to GMU...
Only time I have watched them in person was when they made the final four and lost to Louisville. March 2013 I believe

personally I want to see a heavy dose of Walz instead of going small. throw him in the fire for one game, and see what we have to work with.
25 Quinn / 15 Walz
Yes, give me some Walz tonight. Excellent opportunity for him. My message to any new player getting their first meaningful game minutes is to seize the moment. Playing not to make a mistake is not going to get you noticed, making plays will. Same for other players who will might get some extra minutes due to Grace being out.

I saw them in the first and second rounds of an NCAA tournament around ten years ago I would guess.
Sounds like that was probably the same year I saw them, during their run to the final four. They had a hell of a team with Ron Baker, Fred VanVleet (think he came off the bench), and Cleanthony Early all making the NBA

Reactions: 8legs1dream
Yes, give me some Walz tonight. Excellent opportunity for him. My message to any new player getting their first meaningful game minutes is to seize the moment. Playing not to make a mistake is not going to get you noticed, making plays will. Same for other players who will might get some extra minutes due to Grace being out.
In general, I agree with this theory, just go out there and give it your all and try to make something happen. But for Walz, I want him to apply this to rebounding and defense, and getting a put back - rather than trying to make TOO much happen on offense. I think the more court time, the better it is for his development. I think just being on the court thinking the game will help him long term.

Would love to see him get 10 minutes, but I put the over/under at 7.

Reactions: VT4700
I'm excited for tonight's game. Always good to get the bad taste of a loss out of your mouth and I think we will. A couple things I'm most interested in seeing tonight:

- How are Matt Grace's missing minutes distributed? Of course a lot depends on how tight the game is, but as others have mentioned it would be great to see Walz get some non-garbage time minutes to gain some more experience. Also really hoping to see Quinn have a breakout game with the likelihood of a few extra minutes coming his way.

- How well does this group bounce back from a loss? Wichita St. may be down from where we've come to expect them to be the past decade but they still have a lot of talent and a winning tradition. Also we've been prone to slow starts so far this year, can't let that happen again tonight. So I expect this to be a very solid test and a good indicator of how quick our guys can put a loss behind them.

Reactions: plydogg
With Grace out, this is a good chance to get Noyes a few minutes. Hope to see him some

estimated minutes adjustments from averages:
Grace: 28 > 0 = -28
Quinn: 18 > 24 = +6
Walz: 2 > 12 = +10
Bigelow: 23 > 26 = +3
Roche: 19 > 22 = +3
Bailey: 12 > 15 = +3
Randolph: 11 > 14 = +3

Over/under 10 minutes for Walz. What side are you all taking?
Under - and if the game is close. Good chance he gets 0 minutes.

If game stays within 10 points most of the night - I could see Burton and Nelson again leading in minutes near 35. Expect Bigelow with Grace out to be near 30, along with Goose. Quinn comes out and plays his normal 20, but maybe we go smaller lineups and you see more Roche or Bailey tonight.

Wichita is not a big team - they got one guy they play at 6-11, but after that 6-7 and below, so we could go small tonight for extended periods.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT