ADVERTISEMENT

Why are neither the daughter of David Walsh nor son of Russ Huesman going to UR

Maybe she wants to get out of Richmond, experience something new, and not attend college five minutes from her high school?

Maybe she reads message boards and read the frequent criticisms about the job her father and other administrators do and didn't want to put up with that BS as a college student?

Maybe she really likes Harrisonburg? Maybe she has a lot of friends going there?

I sure didn't feel I was obligated to attend school where my father worked. Why should she?

Congrats to this young woman on her victory, and choice of college.

Why did Greg Beckwith's daughter decide to play soccer for our arch rival VCU? Come on give the girl a break!
She deserves to go where she feels the most comfortable and it is the best fit.

Reactions: urfan1
I don't blame them, I wouldn't want to go to school where my parent(s) worked.

Goes both ways. John Hardt's daughter went to UR instead of Bucknell.

Goes both ways. John Hardt's daughter went to UR instead of Bucknell.

Hardt’s daughter(Queally roomie) Madeleine “Mado” Hardt, is a 2016 UR graduate,was a student at UR while Hardt was AD at Bucknell.Hardt’s daughter never played intercollegiate sports at UR.

Last edited:
Hardt’s daughter(Queally roomie) Madeleine “Mado” Hardt, is a 2016 UR graduate,was a student at UR while Hardt was AD at Bucknell.Hardt’s daughter never played intercollegiate sports at UR.
I can't tell if you're trying to disagree with me or not, but I'm well aware of those facts.

Jordan Gaitley's another one.

I can't tell if you're trying to disagree with me or not, but I'm well aware of those facts.

Jordan Gaitley's another one.

Jordan’s Mom is a WBball coach at Fordham.She was UR’s coach from 1985-91.

None of the people which you referenced were employed at UR, in an athletic administrative/coaching capacity, at the time when their kids were/would have been enrolled as a UR student.That’s the entire point with Walsh and Huesman. They are employed at UR NOW and their kids WILL NOT be attending UR( but rather JMU for wgolf and Coastal Carolina for baseball,respectively) to play D1 intercollegiate athletics with full scholarships.

Curious as to whether we actually attempted to recruit either student-athlete.

None of the people which you referenced were employed at UR, in an athletic administrative/coaching capacity, at the time when their kids were/would have been enrolled as a UR student.That’s the entire point with Walsh and Huesman. They are employed at UR NOW and their kids WILL NOT be attending UR( but rather JMU for wgolf and Coastal Carolina for baseball,respectively) to play D1 intercollegiate athletics with full scholarships.

I'm simply showing that the opposite is also true...athletic administrators/coaches at other schools whose children opted to come to UR rather than follow their parent.

I think we have all been guilty of reading/or typing a post too quickly. I really think on most things there is less difference of opinion among posters than it appears at times. Some we're as far apart as it seems. I don't have a problem with that it helps to hear different viewpoints than our own.

Reactions: Stork3

Virtually no women's golfers or baseball players receive full scholarships.

Some kids just want a change of scenery, I don't have a real issue with either for their choices.

My father taught at Richmond and I was accepted there. However, I needed to get away, so went to Hampden-Sydney and never regretted it. Back then, professors children could go to UR tuition free, as I think is still the case. UR and other private colleges in Virginia had a reciprocal agreement where you could go to the other school tuition free also. (I'd never been able to afford the $4000/year tuition at H-SC!) Of course, this was in 1966, but still may be the case.

Reactions: urfan1
In the case of Huesman's kid and Coastal to play baseball - - - they are simply a whole lot better place to play baseball.

Last edited:
blatantly wrong.coastal won the WS in 2016.you don’t know college baseball.
Um, that was exactly Philly’s point...Coastal is a way better baseball program than UR, so why wouldn’t he choose them?

You’re so bent on digging up facts to prove people wrong that you don’t take the time to comprehend what they’re saying. Read, breathe, then reply.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT