ADVERTISEMENT

What would are record be if Grace did not get hurt?

mr., did you not get the memo? We are supposed to accept our place as a mid major player that is so small and with so high academic standards that this is the very best we can do. We have so many barriers to success. Beilein and Tarrant were aberrations that were playing against far superior competition. Once you realize this, your blood pressure will come way down, mine did and now I just love it when we win a game. Of course I did get on blood pressure meds, and the called me into Hardts office and pulled out a syringe. But things are good now
If that's the memo, I promise you I will never attend, watch, listen, or even check the result of another game.

If that's the memo, I promise you I will never attend, watch, listen, or even check the result of another game.
Just like I give less than nothing about football. We may as well be Division V. Or even knows we have a football team. They look at you like you're half nuts if you tell them we won a national championship in football. Matters none. Basketball is all we have, and we're shitting all over it.

Last edited by a moderator:
So pathetic you have to copy your own quote. To any football players out there, past or present, or anyone who maybe had or has kids play, couldn't be more proud of the year we have had, and could not be more excited for the game Saturday.

Last edited:
I really need to see our stated goals. I know we always use the words compete for championships. But do you guys honestly think the administration/athletic department doesn't care if we make the NCAAs or not? If we are not putting everything we can into it, I must seriously let this major part of my life go. I know I don't agree with how we get there (retaining Mooney), but if the goal is to achieve much more sustained success, I can live with a different approach (barely), but if regular NCAAs is not our goal, I can't do this anymore.

I am not aligned with football anymore. Used to travel to many away games and postseason, but when it comes down to it, a championship in football is no better than an NIT championship and unfortunately, it is not noticed by anyone outside the program. I no longer have the energy for it any longer.

I want to apologize for my poor behavior today. I am very frustrated, and I let it all out. I really love supporting our Spiders, which is why it hurts so bad to see so much failure. It's hard to realize the season is essentially lost before December. I was so excited for it.

Please forgive me if you can. If not, I understand, I was an ass today.

Like Metallica said: Sad But True
So typical. But, of course, I am the one that keeps going on and on about this, right? Seems like you are the one who keeps relating everything to SDad. But, no worries. I'm sure your buddies on here will rally around you and blame me for this too.

Just like I give less than half a shit about football. We may as well be Division V. No one gives a shit. Or even knows we have a football team. They look at you like you're half nuts if you tell them we won a national championship in football. Matters none. Basketball is all we have, and we're shitting all over it.
Yes, I quoted my self again. I want to apologize for this post. It was completely uncalled for. Damn, I was an asshole yesterday. I do support the football team. I'm just not all-in at the same level as I am for basketball because it is at a lower level and not recognized outside of these circles. But I still love to see our Spiders win! Go sack Sacramento State!!

Reactions: UR80sfan
3-4.

Those who have watched the first 7-games and still think that this is an NIT or NCAA team, good on ya! All evidence thus far points to a .500 or below finish. Pre-season, I predicted 17-13 or so, but, at this point, that looks to be a bit generous.

Of course it is always possible to go on a magical run, but unlikely. I don't see the optimism regarding next year either. With Reed I would share some optimism, but without him the Spider frontcourt is likely worse or a wash next season. Quinn has much further to go than I expected. Doesn't mean that improvement isn't possible, but big improvement (enough to consistently win at a high level) is less likely rather than more likely.

Smith looks like a really good recruit for next year, but he is a guard who will likely battle with or replace Nelson. Doubt that they will play that much together. If Smith is a knockdown shooter, it may change things, but he hasn't been advertised as such. If Nelson & Smith play a lot together, that pushes Roche (because he has to play a lot) to the frontcourt which could present defensive and rebounding challenges. I do think that Roche is a better defender than he gets credit for, but he is small to be matched up with a big night-after-night.

If a .500 or less team coached by Mooney loses 3-starters and replaces them with 1-quality freshman (who most likely will battle for a spot with a sophomore) the future of said season isn't likely to be NIT or NCAA. Dreaming and hoping is everyone's prerogative, but, it seems to me that evidence (to date) doesn't support the optimism.

The portal could help again, time will tell. I think that the portal is a very good strategy to supplement a team. It does not appear to be a great strategy to turn an average team into an NCAA contender.

Last edited:
… and based on some grimaces I saw I think he is has some level of knee discomfort
Yes I saw that multiple times basically right in front of where I was sitting. It seemed to be more concern than pain especially at first. I was expecting him to stay out of the game after the first couple times he reacted that way, but he kept coming back in.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
Matt Grace comes back and we have our worst loss of the season. If only he never got hurt.....then there would be different excuses....

Matt Grace comes back and we have our worst loss of the season. If only he never got hurt.....then there would be different excuses....
Wilk, forgive me if I'm reading this wrong, but are you blaming MFG for the loss? Seems to me he had a decent game for playing limited action and injured....

Wilk, forgive me if I'm reading this wrong, but are you blaming MFG for the loss? Seems to me he had a decent game for playing limited action and injured....
Agreed - Grace showed a ton of heart on Sat night - convinced he isn't 100% but he was a warrior out there for his minutes.

Reactions: SpiderRick
5 assists, 0 turnovers, 5 rebounds, 3 blocks, 3 points in 18 minutes I believe.

think he was referencing the blame shifting anywhere but at the top by the OP, sarcasm aimed at the magical / wishful thinking being displayed and making the point that no matter who took the court the results don't change.

That’s a fair comeback. I think the pro Mooney fans should be allowed to crow when he produces tournament teams…just like the FMM should be allowed to vent the other 10 years in between when he doesn’t.
LOL. "the other 10 years". Yes, especially the 24-7 season, right?

“ LOL. ‘the other 10 years’. Yes, especially the 24-7 season, right?”

The thought is one good year offsets the other nine? Is this the reverse equivalent of “other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?”

“ LOL. ‘the other 10 years’. Yes, especially the 24-7 season, right?”

The thought is one good year offsets the other nine? Is this the reverse equivalent of “other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?”
No, the thought is I find it funny that many on here continue to act like 2020 did not happen because it messes with their "everything is so bad with our program right now talk". If you told people who did not follow us that we went 24-7 in 2020 and then won the A-10 tourney and beat Iowa in the dance in 2022, they would probably think our program is in good shape and wonder why there is so much anger on here. But, if you mislead and leave out 2020 and say things like it was 10 years of misery before last year, that could lead to a different opinion.

I have been accused of being a low sleaner upon occasion (ask my wife) but that still appears to me as if the proposition here is that one (or two) offsets nine (or eight). I do realize in baseball a lifetime .333 average is damn good and could get you in the HOF but not in basketball and we are talking less than that here.

I have been accused of being a low sleaner upon occasion (ask my wife) but that still appears to me as if the proposition here is that one (or two) offsets nine (or eight). I do realize in baseball a lifetime .333 average is damn good and could get you in the HOF but not in basketball and we are talking less than that here.
Well, it's also convenient to start right after the back-to-back tourney years, including a sweet 16 one. So, whatever.

Well, it's also convenient to start right after the back-to-back tourney years, including a sweet 16 one. So, whatever.
Let's start from the beginning: 3 for 17 (soon to 18). Even including the 2020 season where we were squarely on the bubble and there was no NCAA, 4 for 17 (soon to be 18). Either way its pathetic! Spin it all you want VT, it's pitiful.

Maybe pitiful to you, but not to me. I didn't think our year when we were first 4 out of the dance was pitiful. I certainly don't think 24-7 was pitiful. I enjoyed cheering for us other seasons when we didn't go dancing also. And, call me crazy, but I think more recent years tell where the program is now more than 17 years ago. But, that's just me. So, give up on the team this year like so many did last year. Bitch and complain all year like so many did last year. Then, after we did what we did last year, come right back and do all this crap again 8 games into the next season? THAT is what is pathetic.

Let's start from the beginning: 3 for 17 (soon to 18). Even including the 2020 season where we were squarely on the bubble and there was no NCAA, 4 for 17 (soon to be 18). Either way its pathetic! Spin it all you want VT, it's pitiful.
The more data you have the more accurate picture you get....Mooney is a barely over .500 coach. That's never going to change. He will have the occasional high points with extremely veteran laden teams but those high points will be the exception. Clearly our administration and a vocal group of our fanbase doesn't think we can do better than barely over .500 (and that we should also pay Mooney as if he's a top 3 producing coach in the conference). He may have a lot of wins as a "stat compiler" but how many times have his teams finished in the top 3 of the A-10? Even last year's post season run erased a disappointing 6th place finish in the league (And yes I know that post season run was earned by the coaches and players and can never be taken away from them but you've got to also see the big picture that it was an anomaly based on 18 years of data). I've given up trying to argue these facts with other spider fans/alums and I've accepted that we just aren't serious about being a championship basketball program. You can't tell me that there aren't numerous coaches that could have gotten us to more than 3 tournaments in 18 years...and at a much more affordable salary...but we are the Richmond Mooneys and will continue to be until he retires.

Maybe pitiful to you, but not to me. I didn't think our year when we were first 4 out of the dance was pitiful. I certainly don't think 24-7 was pitiful. I enjoyed cheering for us other seasons when we didn't go dancing also. And, call me crazy, but I think more recent years tell where the program is now more than 17 years ago. But, that's just me. So, give up on the team this year like so many did last year. Bitch and complain all year like so many did last year. Then, after we did what we did last year, come right back and do all this crap again 8 games into the next season? THAT is what is pathetic.
VT, do you seriously not recognize how much we are failing. We are 3-5
with a team that should be 7-1. That is squarely on the coach.

Here's the thing you have to realize when you are dealing with the people around here that are Mooney fans first and Richmond Spiders fans second. They were good with him sticking around perpetually even without the miracle run in March. So you will never get them to admit that 1 out of 11 is a joke or 3 out of 18 is unacceptable. As long as the conman is running the show they are happy, period.

LOL. "the other 10 years". Yes, especially the 24-7 season, right?
Fine 9 of the other 10 years. The 24-7 season was nice but we weren't guaranteed an NCAA bid that year, we still had work to do in the A-10 tournament. But yes, it was a nice season but also keep the perspective that had Covid not cancelled the tournament, we would not have had last year, with the extra year of eligibility it afforded everyone.

Fine 9 of the other 10 years. The 24-7 season was nice but we weren't guaranteed an NCAA bid that year, we still had work to do in the A-10 tournament. But yes, it was a nice season but also keep the perspective that had Covid not cancelled the tournament, we would not have had last year, with the extra year of eligibility it afforded everyone.
and this is another point that they will never cede

Reactions: Spiders4ever
VT, do you seriously not recognize how much we are failing. We are 3-5
with a team that should be 7-1. That is squarely on the coach.
7-1?!?! Get real. This team averages the same amount of turnovers as assists… that’s never been any of Mooney’s teams. It’s hard to even imagine thinking they should be 7-1.

Reactions: urfan1
Here's the thing you have to realize when you are dealing with the people around here that are Mooney fans first and Richmond Spiders fans second. They were good with him sticking around perpetually even without the miracle run in March. So you will never get them to admit that 1 out of 11 is a joke or 3 out of 18 is unacceptable. As long as the conman is running the show they are happy, period.
Better than everybody except Tarrant is what it is. But keep thinking we should be a powerhouse with all of the NBA pros we have and money we are getting guys. LOL

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT