ADVERTISEMENT

What should the role of the transfer portal be verse high school recruits.

UR80sfan

Star
Jan 28, 2018
We just knocked it out of the park in the transfer portal and the class of 2023, with both potentially being the best in school history. Which group of 3 players will have the biggest impact on our program while they are at U of R? Also, What should the role of the transfer portal be verse high school recruits.

Changes in the transfer rules have revolutionized the transfer portal by significantly increasing the quality of players, where there is a much higher degree of accuracy in predicting the quality of a player. We have so much talent on this team, that I see 2-3 guys transferring every year that are not getting a lot of minutes, which means the transfer portal will play a much larger roll going forward. Our success in the portal also takes some of the pressure off of high school recruiting by allowing us to not have to fill all open position. Finally, I think we have a chance of recruiting 4 star quality players like Quinn through the portal, that we have not been able to get out of high school.

In reviewing Richmond's all-time high quality recruiting list on 247sports there are a lot of great players with some of the lower ranked players (Grant Golden and ShawnDre’ Jones) ending up as some of our top players and some of our top ranked not panning out. My guess of the players on this list about 30% never make it to full time starters. It is very difficult to predict how well a player will make the transition from high school to college. With that said, I am very excited about this years class.

Last edited:
Reactions: urfan1
We just knocked it out of the park in the transfer portal and the class of 2023, with both potentially being the best in school history. Which group of 3 players will have the biggest impact on our program while they are at U of R? Also, What should the roll of the transfer portal play verse high school recruits.

Changes in the transfer rules have revolutionized the transfer portal by significantly increasing the quality of players, where there is a much higher degree of accuracy in predicting the quality of a player. We have so much talent on this team, that I see 2-3 guys transferring every year that are not getting a lot of minutes, which means the transfer portal will play a much larger roll going forward. Our success in the portal also takes some of the pressure off of high school recruiting by allowing us to not have to fill all open position. Finally, I think we have a chance of recruiting 4 star quality players like Quinn through the portal, that we have not been able to get out of high school.

In reviewing Richmond's all-time high quality recruiting list on 247sports there are a lot of great players with some of the lower ranked players (Grant Golden and ShawnDre’ Jones) ending up as some of our top players and some of our top ranked not panning out. My guess of the players on this list about 30% never make it to full time starters. It is very difficult to predict how well a player will make the transition from high school to college. With that said, I am very excited about this years class.
You think Quinn is a 4 star?

• Haha
Reactions: PASpider
We just knocked it out of the park in the transfer portal and the class of 2023, with both potentially being the best in school history.
I could give a lot of your posts more credibility if they didn't start with ... being the best in school history. Three point shooting, now recruiting.

To answer your question, I think Mooney used the portal really well this year. The portal takes a lot of the guess work out of the recruiting game, if you know a guy can already play at the college level. And if Mooney can keep his A players out of the portal but have some of our B guys enter, that has the potential to be a net positive for us on a year in, year out basis.

we've been very successful in the portal dating all the way back to Beilein.

that said, I think we should always try to fill all our known available slots with HS guys at or near the top of our lists. just don't reach if we miss on our "A" targets.

then if we lose someone to transfer, replace in the portal.

I could give a lot of your posts more credibility if they didn't start with ... being the best in school history. Three point shooting, now recruiting.

To answer your question, I think Mooney used the portal really well this year. The portal takes a lot of the guess work out of the recruiting game, if you know a guy can already play at the college level. And if Mooney can keep his A players out of the portal but have some of our B guys enter, that has the potential to be a net positive for us on a year in, year out basis.
97, in looking at 247sports, what recruiting class do you think was better based on how recruits were evaluated out of high school? Also, what transfer portal class was was better? I do not think it is a stretch to say that both were potentially the best we have had.

I agree the 3 pointing shooting was a stretch, but there are a lot of outlandish stuff posted on this site.

Last edited:
FWIW, our guys typically seem to fall in the recruiting rankings once they commit to us...after all, if they're "only" going to Richmond, they can't be that good, right? I'd wager that affects some of the current ratings for past recruits and may yet affect our 2023 guys.

And of course, many of our best players in school history were nobodies in the recruiting rankings, so that shows you how much those things are worth.

(Not saying I don't love the guys we're bringing in, but any ranking stuff needs to be taken with a huge grain of salt.)

And of course, many of our best players in school history were nobodies in the recruiting rankings, so that shows you how much those things are worth.

(Not saying I don't love the guys we're bringing in, but any ranking stuff needs to be taken with a huge grain of salt.)

Similarly, some of the highest ranked recruits were busts but this isn't specific to us, happens to every team at every level of play. I think the mistake that is being made is a lot of people are counting their chickens before they hatch around here. I want to see some games!

97, in looking at 247sports, what recruiting class do you think was better based on how recruits were evaluated out of high school? Also, what transfer portal class was was better? I do not think it is a stretch to say that both were potentially the best we have had.

I agree the 3 pointing shoot was a stretch, but there are a lot of outlandish stuff posted on this site.
Well considering the transfer portal wasn't a thing until the past year or two, I guess I would have to agree that this is the best ever.

I don't put a lot/any value in recruiting rankings, simply too many players across the country, to develop any value based ranking system that holds validity, outside probably Top 50 or so. I think the Sherod, Buck, Golden class was pretty highly thought up, Buck had a ton of really high quality BSC offers. Also think KA, Harp, Smitty class probably wouldn't have turned many heads when they signed, but that classes accomplishments will be pretty hard to beat.

But yes, I like what we did. Reed and Smith look great on paper. Tanner could be a bit of reach in my opinion, but certainly he is not some scrub like Mooney was getting in mid 2010's era.

Reactions: UR80sfan
I can't get over the grammar and spelling in the topic question. It's too distracting.
Kneepadmckinney, are you my 3rd grade teachers Mrs. Hadley? I told you 50 years ago spelling and grammar are not my strengths. I can't believe you are still giving me grief after all these years.

What is kind of crazy is that I have done a lot of writing over the past 20 years, which is heavily edited by other people. I have probably had more papers published or covered by major media outlets than a vast majority, if not all U of R professors. I am probably up to about 1500 articles. With that said, yes I do write like poorly and appreciate everyone's tolerance.

I appreciate you all the same.

And to answer the question, I think Mooney has come around to a sensible position on it: our preference is to get 4-year players, but that we should be ready to utilize the portal each offseason to enhance the roster. I think it was navigated quite well this offseason.

Previously, I think was very reluctant to use the portal and had a very strong preference for HS recruits.

I think in order for Moon not to have straight up rebuilding years, he has to hit the portal consistently - and in some years like this one, heavily. He's previously gone with the philosophy of building via HS classes. When one struck gold like KA and Harper, or Gilly, Cayo (and Golden) and he had very good players from previous or subsequent classes, he did well once those guys became upperclassmen. But too many years where young guys who would become very good weren't quite ready - this is where a seasoned transfer could have helped (that first out of ncaa bid season especially.) This year likely would have been a middling team without the portal, so yes, I hope he uses it to keep UR winning consistently, and fill in to make good teams potentially very good, especially if he is loathe to utilize true freshmen heavily or is recruiting guys who need more time to improve their game and/or physically. I'm of the mind that if your last HS recruit is 3 years away from seeing the floor, isn't that spot better spent on a proven transfer who can contribute to a.specific need?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT