ADVERTISEMENT

What are you most excited to see this year?

What are you most excited to see this year out of the Spiders?

• Burton putting together an A10 POY campaign and becoming a possible NBA Draft pick

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • Big Shot Grace picking up right where he left off last year.

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • The transfers - Quinn, Bigelow, and Roche - how they fit in and help the Spiders reach new heights.

Votes: 13 41.9%
  • PG - Does local product Nelson fill right in the long line of good PG's under Mooney?

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Other - you name it.

Votes: 6 19.4%

• Total voters
Not just their senior years. And we seemed to do just fine with Jacob and Blake.
Great players but two sub 6 feet guards not ideal imo versus elite and or big teams - memories of the WV game in non conference in late ‘20. … 14 days and 15 min to when we stop debating about the lineup and just watch this team make magic

Last edited:
Great players but two sub 6 feet guards not ideal imo versus elite and or big teams - memories of the WV game in non conference in late ‘20. … 14 days and 15 min to when we stop debating about the lineup and just watch this team make magic
I can't wait. But, how can you pick and choose the WVU game here? What about a few games earlier against Ky.? What about going 24-7 (20-5 with Blake, 10-2 IC) the previous year? After the WVU loss, Jacob and Blake were 24-6 when starting together. That is not good enough and you think we should have changed that just because of the WVU game? Do you really think it would be smart to base your lineup on a possible OOC game against a bigger WVU team instead of the other 30 games? And I'm not sure why you blame Jacob and Blake that game anyway.

Overall, Jacob and Blake were 17-7 against the A-10 and 33-12 overall, and this includes a loss to St Joe's when Blake only played 9 minutes before getting hurt. I guess we can disagree, but I sure would take that every 55 games.

I can't wait. But, how can you pick and choose the WVU game here? What about a few games earlier against Ky.? What about going 24-7 (20-5 with Blake, 10-2 IC) the previous year? After the WVU loss, Jacob and Blake were 24-6 when starting together. That is not good enough and you think we should have changed that just because of the WVU game? Do you really think it would be smart to base your lineup on a possible OOC game against a bigger WVU team instead of the other 30 games? And I'm not sure why you blame Jacob and Blake that game anyway.

Overall, Jacob and Blake were 17-7 against the A-10 and 33-12 overall, and this includes a loss to St Joe's when Blake only played 9 minutes before getting hurt. I guess we can disagree, but I sure would take that every 55 games.
I was in person at the Kentucky game and yes it was amazing so I do remember … let’s not fight the world here … just saying that 2 sub 6 ft guards make it tougher ..

I was in person at the Kentucky game and yes it was amazing so I do remember … let’s not fight the world here … just saying that 2 sub 6 ft guards make it tougher ..
I hear you. I just disagree, that's all. I don't think it makes it tougher at all. Most teams we play against have two small guards anyway.

but 31% is a poor percentage from 3. that's not even debatable.

It’s also the reason he only shot 77 of them. We’re really hoping to win the lottery if we think Goose is going to magically just be able to hit triples. I don’t think we’re a successful team if one of our starting guards is playing 30+ minutes a game and not even attempting two 3’s a game. Our offensive system right now isn’t one that best fits his offensive skill set, but that doesn’t mean he doesn’t have an incredibly important role to play. I think he plays that role really damn well

I love what he brings to the team, every player has their role. I don’t think the best way to utilize him is to play him 30 minutes every night. There will be nights where we will need 30 minutes of what he gives us, and those are the games where he really shines. They’re typically some of the most important games too

It’s also the reason he only shot 77 of them. We’re really hoping to win the lottery if we think Goose is going to magically just be able to hit triples. I don’t think we’re a successful team if one of our starting guards is playing 30+ minutes a game and not even attempting two 3’s a game. Our offensive system right now isn’t one that best fits his offensive skill set, but that doesn’t mean he doesn’t have an incredibly important role to play. I think he plays that role really damn well

I love what he brings to the team, every player has their role. I don’t think the best way to utilize him is to play him 30 minutes every night. There will be nights where we will need 30 minutes of what he gives us, and those are the games where he really shines. They’re typically some of the most important games too
Well said. If we are struggling offensively, I think Goose is probably getting less minutes those nights.

You’re kind of cherry picking data there. We ran seven seasons with two small guards from 2011-12 to 2017-18 and we were a combined 125-108 with no NCAA appearances. Our defense was bad a number of those years, probably not coincidentally.

Certainly the two small guard setup can work but the longitudinal results suggest it wasn’t a particularly successful strategy.

You’re kind of cherry picking data there. We ran seven seasons with two small guards from 2011-12 to 2017-18 and we were a combined 125-108 with no NCAA appearances. Our defense was bad a number of those years, probably not coincidentally.

Certainly the two small guard setup can work but the longitudinal results suggest it wasn’t a particularly successful strategy.
I think you need to go a little deeper instead of just saying 2012-2018 didn't work because of 2 small guards.

2012 was the year after we made the sweet 16, and we lost 4 seniors from 2011 who played big minutes. What were you realistically expecting this year? And, the actual starters at guard were Brothers and Ced. Kendall played a lot, but did not start. Same with 2013. Any chance you might be blaming the wrong guys here? I guess we can just disagree because I thought Ced, Brothers, and Kendall were all really good players, and I just don't remember them being the problem for us.

2014, we lost Brothers, but added ShawDre. That gave us 3 smaller guards, but I just have a hard time thinking they were the problem. So, no worries, but I have to disagree again here.

2015. We were in the 1st 4 out of the dance, so hard to say ShawnDre and Kendall together didn't work.

2016. It is fair to say ShawnDre and Khwan didn't work well together, but then those same two helped lead us to 13-5 A-10, 22-13 overall in 2017.

2018 no doubt was tough with Jacob and Khwan. I don't think they fit well together. So, I can agree with you here, but that was mainly because Khwan wasn't good from 3 and just wasn't the offensive weapon that guys like ShawnDre, Ced, and Kendall were, and add Jacob and Blake as well.

So, to me, it is all about the player, and what type of game he has, and not the height. Also, I remember a lot of people on this board saying rebounding was our main issue those years. I certainly can't blame small guards for that. But, just my opinion. No worries and I respect your opinion if we disagree.

I picked other. I would like to see CM retire at the end of this year to fulfill “the coach for life” threads on this board and as the winningest coach in UR history.

Reactions: SpiderK
What happened to that team that won/lost a close scrimmage ti Va tech? I was watching Tech the other night. Mooney should study his offense. That team move the ball and cuts with a purpose each possession. It really is a contrast to our moving the ball around but not accomplishing anything other than burning clock.
We always play well in the "closed" scrimmages. I am willing to bet too - the other team plays well.

Good news - we have what many considered, and may be true - to be our best game of the year coming up with Drake at home. No better way to forget W&M than to beat Drake at home and give everyone hope that everything will be alright the deeper we get into A10 play.

We always play well in the "closed" scrimmages. I am willing to bet too - the other team plays well.

Good news - we have what many considered, and may be true - to be our best game of the year coming up with Drake at home. No better way to forget W&M than to beat Drake at home and give everyone hope that everything will be alright the deeper we get into A10 play.
The Mooney way. You guys will just get suckered in for another xx years. False hope. Can't believe you haven't been paying attention all these years. As long as Mooney is leading this program it will never reach its potential. 55/45 forever. Good guy mediocre coach. Worse late game coach we've ever had.

The Mooney way. You guys will just get suckered in for another xx years. False hope. Can't believe you haven't been paying attention all these years. As long as Mooney is leading this program it will never reach its potential. 55/45 forever. Good guy mediocre coach. Worse late game coach we've ever had.
You’re so right here. I feel like a total sucker right now with nobody to blame but myself

Reactions: 8legs1dream
Also low accountability coach, slow to fix problems, insular, mediocre public speaker.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT