ADVERTISEMENT

What are you most excited to see this year?

What are you most excited to see this year out of the Spiders?

• Burton putting together an A10 POY campaign and becoming a possible NBA Draft pick

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • Big Shot Grace picking up right where he left off last year.

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • The transfers - Quinn, Bigelow, and Roche - how they fit in and help the Spiders reach new heights.

Votes: 13 41.9%
  • PG - Does local product Nelson fill right in the long line of good PG's under Mooney?

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Other - you name it.

Votes: 6 19.4%

• Total voters

SpiderTrap

Graduate Assistant
Nov 6, 2007
Coming off the hot end to last season - what are you most excited to see this year?

I picked Burton because there really is nothing quite like having an absolute stud in the conference.

But I would say I’m most excited (and maybe the better word is curious) to see how the lineup and rotation plays out and changes over the course of the season

The new DJ-in-residence at the Robins Center.
I saw that on the website and wondering how it will play out. I like it - anything to enhance the gameday experience and get more students at the games. I wish they would do a throwback game as well. You pick a decade - maybe the 80's, 70' or 90's. Get uniforms made from that era for the Spiders - all music played is from that time. Ask the students to dress up like that time, etc.

Reactions: gcarter52
I saw that on the website and wondering how it will play out. I like it - anything to enhance the gameday experience and get more students at the games. I wish they would do a throwback game as well. You pick a decade - maybe the 80's, 70' or 90's. Get uniforms made from that era for the Spiders - all music played is from that time. Ask the students to dress up like that time, etc.
I like that!!

Reactions: SpiderLaw
My lineup…I would go big. Dji, TB, Bigelow, Matt, Neal. Some may same I’m crazy but I like us big. I think we may see some of that situationally & you asked for “my lineup”. That’s what I “would” start. Jason, Gus, TB, Matt, Neal, are the prob starters - Dji, Zay, Roche, Crab & some Marcus. Again jmo before guys jump on me. Todays a good day to be a 🕷️😀. I think everyone is going to love our 2 PGs

My lineup…I would go big. Dji, TB, Bigelow, Matt, Neal. Some may same I’m crazy but I like us big. I think we may see some of that situationally & you asked for “my lineup”. That’s what I “would” start. Jason, Gus, TB, Matt, Neal, are the prob starters - Dji, Zay, Roche, Crab & some Marcus. Again jmo before guys jump on me. Todays a good day to be a 🕷️😀. I think everyone is going to love our 2 PGs
I like your lineup but move TB to the 3 and put Gus at 2.

Ok, I will say it. You are crazy. College basketball is almost always about guard play. While other teams will have 2 or 3, and maybe even 4 guards out there, you would have one. That is just not a recipe for winning. Not enough ball handling or shooting with this lineup. I don't see us ever playing the 5 you would start at anytime.

Ok, I will say it. You are crazy. College basketball is almost always about guard play. While other teams will have 2 or 3, and maybe even 4 guards out there, you would have one. That is just not a recipe for winning. Not enough ball handling or shooting with this lineup. I don't see us ever playing the 5 you would start at anytime.
Relax my man, he asked what I would like 😂 I wouldn’t say ever…you never know. 😉

Relax my man, he asked what I would like 😂 I wouldn’t say ever…you never know. 😉
True, you never know, but it would definitely surprise me to see those 5 out there together. I am relaxed. Just my opinion, and I thought you might have been welcoming replies and realized your starting 5 was a little strange since you said "some may say I am crazy".

yeah, I like big lineups too but I need another ball handler. unless he's come a long way, I can't have Burton at the 2. I don't know what kind of ball handler Bigelow is.

the lineup that would excite me the most would have Nelson and Dji on the floor together, which I guess might not happen much until next year. I start Quinn. add Burton and whoever our best shooter is ... whether that's Roche or Grace or Bigelow or Goose.

yeah, I like big lineups too but I need another ball handler. unless he's come a long way, I can't have Burton at the 2. I don't know what kind of ball handler Bigelow is.

the lineup that would excite me the most would have Nelson and Dji on the floor together, which I guess might not happen much until next year. I start Quinn. add Burton and whoever our best shooter is ... whether that's Roche or Grace or Bigelow or Goose.
I understand...move TB to the 3 spot put Gus in and Bigelow at the 4 with Neal at the 5 and we still have a very big lineup as well. Zay is decent enough ball handler I think.

Good point, tb can’t be bringing the ball up the court. I think Dji and Goose can do it though.

Reactions: SpiderDad75
Good point, tb can’t be bringing the ball up the court. I think Dji and Goose can do it though.
Def both...Dji played the point the majority of his time yesterday. Even if TB was running some 2 he wouldn't have to bring it up. If we get pressed then when we would need to def switch it up, Gus is prob the better opt at the 2 spot though. I like big lineups, what can I say 🤷‍♂️

What makes you think Nelson and Dji on the floor together would happen more next year than this year? We lose Goose, but we have top 150 recruit Trevor Smith in here next year. With Roche also here next year, like this year, I just don't see a lot of time on the floor for Nelson and Dji together. But, I haven't seen practice or anything, and just my opinion, so time will tell.

I can see Nelson and Dji together next year ... and Nelson with Trevor ... and Dji with Trevor ... and any of those three with Roche!
lots of strong options. but of those options my least favorite is Nelson and Trevor due to size. that's never stopped Mooney though so we'll see how it plays out.

I can see Nelson and Dji together next year ... and Nelson with Trevor ... and Dji with Trevor ... and any of those three with Roche!
lots of strong options. but of those options my least favorite is Nelson and Trevor due to size. that's never stopped Mooney though so we'll see how it plays out.
If you don't like Nelson and Trevor together, but like Nelson and Dji together, playing Nelson and Dji together would put Trevor on the bench. Are you okay with that?

If you don't like Nelson and Trevor together, but like Nelson and Dji together, playing Nelson and Dji together would put Trevor on the bench. Are you okay with that?
at times, of course. I don't expect any of them to play 40 mpg.

I've never seen Nelson, much less Smith! but I don't love the idea of two small guys out there together. we did that a lot in the 10 years we didn't dance. but if those two play great on both sides of the court together than we'll do it. it's just not ideal being that small at two spots.

Reactions: MrTbone
at times, of course. I don't expect any of them to play 40 mpg.

I've never seen Nelson, much less Smith! but I don't love the idea of two small guys out there together. we did that a lot in the 10 years we didn't dance. but if those two play great on both sides of the court together than we'll do it. it's just not ideal being that small at two spots.
btw ... we went with 2 small guards a lot last year with Wilson. wasn't working great then either.
it does appear like we'll be going back to that well again when Nelson gets here, at least part of the time.

btw ... we went with 2 small guards a lot last year with Wilson. wasn't working great then either.
it does appear like we'll be going back to that well again when Nelson gets here, at least part of the time.
I think if we had Senior - Anthony, Gilyard, Francis, Jones, and Anderson on the roster at the same time, I would be ok having 2 of them on the court much of the time. 🤣

Reactions: VT4700
I think if we had Senior - Anthony, Gilyard, Francis, Jones, and Anderson on the roster at the same time, I would be ok having 2 of them on the court much of the time. 🤣
Not just their senior years. And we seemed to do just fine with Jacob and Blake.

Not just their senior years. And we seemed to do just fine with Jacob and Blake.
Are we as a fan base stuck on having 2 little guards all the time? Esp when you have a couple of big guards? Obviously those big guards have to be legit.

Are we as a fan base stuck on having 2 little guards all the time? Esp when you have a couple of big guards? Obviously those big guards have to be legit.
Not at all. I think just the opposite of what you are saying. I think some on here worry too much about maybe having 2 small guards out there. No reason to worry because lots of teams play multiple small guards.

What I am good with is the best guys playing. If 2 of our best players are small guards, I have no issue with having them both out there.

You know my thoughts by now. I have been consistent and have been this way for years. I am a big time 3 pointer guy. I would rather play a 6 foot guard who can shoot the 3 than a 6'4 or 6'5 guy who can't. So, if my 6 foot guys can both shoot the 3, I have no issues or worries with playing them a lot.

Last edited:
I would rather play a 6 foot guard who can shoot the 3 than a 6'4 or 6'5 guy who can't. So, if my 6 foot guys can both shoot the 3, I have no issues or worries with playing them a lot.
do I have you confused with Trap? aren't you a "Goose for 30" guy?

do I have you confused with Trap? aren't you a "Goose for 30" guy?
This year, yes, or close to it most nights. Doesn't have to be 30, but I want him on the floor a lot. You copied my post about 2 small guards. Do we have a 2nd small guard I'm not aware of?

I would rather play a 6 foot guard who can shoot the 3 than a 6'4 or 6'5 guy who can't.
Goose does defend ... and "can't" is too strong, but he's breaking your preference from above.
I hope he turns into Steph as much as anyone, but he's 28.6% over 4 years.
I know, I know ... more volume will bring that up.

Goose does defend ... and "can't" is too strong, but he's breaking your preference from above.
I hope he turns into Steph as much as anyone, but he's 28.6% over 4 years.
I know, I know ... more volume will bring that up.
I'm not talking about Goose. I am talking about any guard with size who can't shoot the 3. And, I never said Goose couldn't shoot the 3, and have disagreed with you when you said he can't. And, if Goose plays a lot like I hope he does, what 2nd 6 footer is he taking minutes from? So, I have no clue where you are even going with this one.

Goose is 24-77 (31%) from 3 his last 2 years. Would I like that to be around 35%? Sure, but 31% to me on 77 attempts doesn't mean you can't shoot the 3. You know what Tyler was from 3 his last 32 games last year? 31%. When I think of can't shoot the 3, I think of guys who rarely take the 3, and shoot a low percentage when they do.

my fear for this season is shooting.
Burton didn't shoot very well from 3 in conference last year.
we have a 5 who historically doesn't shoot them ... and that's fine.
we replace a really good shooting PG with 2 unknowns from outside.
and we're most likely starting a 2 and a 4 who shoot them at around 30%.

we just scored 56 points in a scrimmage, so my fears aren't going away this week.

my fear for this season is shooting.
Burton didn't shoot very well from 3 in conference last year.
we have a 5 who historically doesn't shoot them ... and that's fine.
we replace a really good shooting PG with 2 unknowns from outside.
and we're most likely starting a 2 and a 4 who shoot them at around 30%.

we just scored 56 points in a scrimmage, so my fears aren't going away this week.
This is inverse week for me apparently. Richmond's main concern coming out of the scrimmage vs Tech appears to be offense, while the defense apparently must have been solid. SDSU loses to UCLA 89-87 - offense way ahead of the defense.

Of course, who knows, maybe we played 3 10 minute periods and it was pretty high scoring. Agree sman, we need to shoot the 3 better. It seems that between Roche, Bigelow, Burton, and even Grace - we have guys that are very capable, but not really proven it (other than Roche) for long stretches.

Either way, much happier with this result than hearing it is a 15 point loss.

Goose is 24-77 (31%) from 3 his last 2 years. Would I like that to be around 35%? Sure, but 31% to me on 77 attempts doesn't mean you can't shoot the 3. You know what Tyler was from 3 his last 32 games last year? 31%. When I think of can't shoot the 3, I think of guys who rarely take the 3, and shoot a low percentage when they do.
Not sure if this is accurate, but I would rather that Tyler not repeat last season's trend:
First 5 games 17-29 58.6%
Next 8 games 14-40 35.0%
18 A-10 games 21-67 31.3%
6 postseason games 5-20 25.0%

This is inverse week for me apparently. Richmond's main concern coming out of the scrimmage vs Tech appears to be offense, while the defense apparently must have been solid. SDSU loses to UCLA 89-87 - offense way ahead of the defense.

Of course, who knows, maybe we played 3 10 minute periods and it was pretty high scoring. Agree sman, we need to shoot the 3 better. It seems that between Roche, Bigelow, Burton, and even Grace - we have guys that are very capable, but not really proven it (other than Roche) for long stretches.

Either way, much happier with this result than hearing it is a 15 point loss.
I think some team did hear that this weekend...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT