ADVERTISEMENT

Weird Things Happen Against Bucknell

mojo-spider

Team Manager
Gold Member
Dec 31, 2010

to start with it's pretty weird that they've beaten us four times in a row...but this shocker happened almost ten years ago and began our losing streak versus the Bison...anyone believe in curses...

future NBA player Mike Muscala made the shot that beat the Spiders on that day...I wonder if we could have fouled?

but you know what? That Spiders squad picked itself up and went on to win the only A-10 Championship in UR history...sadly it was the last time we went to the NCAA Tournament...

it wasn't quite the basketball equivalent of the Scotty McGee punt return, but eerily similar...

please Spiders, no drama tomorrow...just take care of business!

Go Spiders!

Gee...thanks for the reminder, mojo. That one still gives me nightmares. Almost a Laettner carbon copy.

What a gut punch that was...still remember where I was standing in my house listening to the call on that one. Fortunately we overcame it that year and went on to great things.

Wasn’t that the second attempt? Was there a foul call on the first inbounds?

There was something funny, but I can’t recall what it was. I do remember that we missed a bunch of foul shots down the stretch. KA missed a pair just before that final heave to Muscala. We had just completed a comeback to take the lead and thought we had the game iced as he headed to the line with like two seconds to go and us up one, but it wasn’t to be.

There was something funny, but I can’t recall what it was. I do remember that we missed a bunch of foul shots down the stretch. KA missed a pair just before that final heave to Muscala. We had just completed a comeback to take the lead and thought we had the game iced as he headed to the line with like two seconds to go and us up one, but it wasn’t to be.
I believe that we took the lead and then turned Bucknell over and had possession with 2 seconds left. Except, we tried to throw a long inbounds pass that went out of bounds and turned it back over to Bucknell, setting up the game winning shot by Muscala. It was a gut wrenching loss.

That sounds familiar to me, but the play-by-play doesn't support it.

KA had an incredible drive to the hoop to tie it as I recall. Garrett got a block of the potential game-winner at the other end, and Bucknell fouled somehow as we were pushing it up the court. Brothers made one of two to give us the lead, and Bucknell had one more crack with two seconds left.

Something happened on the inbounds that Bucknell turned it over and had to foul again, sending KA to the line where we assumed that was the ballgame. But he missed both, and Bucknell grabbed the rebound and immediately called timeout, setting up the baseball pass to Muscala.

So I don't see anywhere in there where there could have been an inbounds turnover by us, but darn it I have that same recollection now that you mention it.

Last edited:
Spider TV highlights have great views of the KA scoop shot to tie and the Garrett block, while mojo shows the missed foul shots in his longer video. But I can't find video evidence of the funny business we remember.

That sounds familiar to me, but the play-by-play doesn't support it.

KA had an incredible drive to the hoop to tie it as I recall. Garrett got a block of the potential game-winner at the other end, and Bucknell had to foul. Brothers made one of two to give us the lead, and Bucknell had one more crack with two seconds left.

Something happened on the inbounds that Bucknell turned it over and had to foul again, sending KA to the line where we assumed that was the ballgame. But he missed both, and Bucknell grabbed the rebound and immediately called timeout, setting up the baseball pass to Muscala.

So I don't see anywhere in there where there could have been an inbounds turnover by us, but darn it I have that same recollection now that you mention it.

I still remember that they tried to inbounds to Muscala over Kevin Smith who was guarding him. But refs said we were making substitutions so no play. I thought we would change defense to a big on inbounder but didn‘t and it worked the second time.

Could Bucknell original inbound play went out of bounds?

No mention of anything like that in JOC's game article. Not that it necessarily would be, but the article obviously focuses on those last few seconds and it's driving me crazy trying to find evidence of our memories. Maybe it's the Mandela Effect.

I believe that we took the lead and then turned Bucknell over and had possession with 2 seconds left. Except, we tried to throw a long inbounds pass that went out of bounds and turned it back over to Bucknell, setting up the game winning shot by Muscala. It was a gut wrenching loss.
Ok yeah, I remember now us getting fouled and missing some FT's. I swear we threw a full court in bounds play and no one touched and then Bucknell got the ball back. I honestly though both teams did it, Bucknell first and then us right after. But maybe it was Bucknell who did the full court in bounds went out of bounds, we missed two FT's and then Bucknell hit the shot.

All I remember was sitting there stunned after not believing what I just witnessed.

Found it in the Bucknell game recap. It was after the Brothers made FT to go up 61–60 that Bucknell airmailed the inbounds and turned it over and we thought we were set with a one-point lead, possession, and just 2.6 seconds left.

That led to the quick Bucknell foul after our inbounds and then KA's missed free throws, and there were still 1.7 seconds left for their miracle.

Gotcha. Thanks. I remember someone throwing the full court pass out of bounds and turning it over but also remembered we did something incredibly mind numbing in those last few seconds as well.

What odds would you have given to Brothers & Anderson going 1 for 4 from the line at the end of the game?
We were 1-for-8 in the final three minutes. Harper and Martel each missed a pair as well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT