ADVERTISEMENT

Weekly AP And Coaches Polls and A10 Talk Weekly Ratings

Yes - we got Loyola to join the league at the wrong time. The big question will be - they had success before, change coaches, lots of new players - do they bounce back and stay where they were (NCAA team) or do they bounce back to earth and become a mid-major team that we hear from only every couple of years.

Previous coach only won .571 % of his games in ten years. They were however, on an upward swing in his last 4-years as they went to the NCAA twice & the NIT once.

The cupboard was full when Drew Valentine was named coach (last year) and they went to the NCAA in his first year. He is the youngest D-1 coach, and now they are crashing this year (his 2nd season). Chances are high that they are on a downward trajectory.

Damn. Have to say I was surprised just how bad Loyola sucks this season. I keep thinking it was just the normal A10 OOC suck factor, but they are really bad. Wow.
Except December 10th...

I guess having an opponent shoot 14% from three while you are 12-24 helps...

Long term I'd say they stand a chance of being better for the league than LaSalle, St. Joe's, Fordham, etc.
Agree - I don't see them falling to those depths. I could see them being a team like Bonnies. Usually middle of the pack, sometimes near bottom, then every couple years they figure it out and put together a solid team at the top of the league.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
The Golden kid is having a rough time at Loyola. Only played 8 minutes against VDU.

@Ferrum Spider The West Broad clan has the swagger back. Going to be two physical games for the Spiders. The A10 isn’t a strong league, but it is a balanced one and the team that plays hardest is going to win.

Reactions: Spiders4ever
@Ferrum Spider The West Broad clan has the swagger back. Going to be two physical games for the Spiders. The A10 isn’t a strong league, but it is a balanced one and the team that plays hardest is going to win.
Hard to disagree with this assessment currently. Hate VDU more than most on this board (100% because of the bandwagon fans and their stranglehold over city politics/PR as a youth growing up in the city, I don't really care/hate on the team/players) but not foolish enough to think that they couldn't compete in a down A10.

Are they themselves down? Absolutely but they're figuring it out in a bad A10 and are already tied for first. Dayton lost that more than they won it, but at the end of the day all that matters is getting a road win, not how you look doing it. I think fans get WAYYY too caught up in how great they look in road games when the goal should just be to win the game and get the hell out of dodge.

I almost wondered if Anthony Grant had money on the sheep. Honestly the only collapse I can think of as bad as that was when VCU lost that 7 point lead to us in under 30 seconds back in 2013 and that Maryland Duke game in the NCAA F4. And even those it was more the other team getting hot than just making straight up dumb errors.

I'm glad we got over the VCU hump last year and certainly got my fair share of trash talk in over it. But I hope our players are not taking the same approach to a wounded, but still dangerous VCU team that some of our fans seem to be dismissing. I'm less concerned with them these days and more concerned how our play is.

On the Spiders end, think next weeks game comes down to Jason Nelsons performance. If he has a good game think we win, bad game and think we lose. I imagine hell have the intensity, just hope he channels it efficiently in a game that probably has more meaning since he's local. That simple.

Ferrum I’m also reminded of the VCU collapse against Stephen F. Austin in the first round of the tourney, I think it was 2013. When they were up 4 and fouled the 3 point shooter who made the and-1 and then lost in OT.

Although that one is my favorite collapse of all time

SMC even smaller than UR but less academically competitive. Of course we can always trot out the "never get admitted here" argument even though I don't know that that's really a thing any longer.

ESPN has the A-10 as a 1 bid league again. VCU given a 13 seed as the conference tournament winner.

SMC even smaller than UR but less academically competitive. Of course we can always trot out the "never get admitted here" argument even though I don't know that that's really a thing any longer.
No, I feel like the pom pom , woe is me crowd has dropped using that tired excuse to a certain extent. Heck, 80's fan came on here and said not an issue anymore. I feel like the pom spiders, sman, and 4700 have used the " what makes us a better destination than the other 300+ schools trying to win" mantra. And that is OK for some fans to have. BUT, I sure as hell don't want my head coach thinking that way, and from his interviews that is how he projects. Hell, we are getting good crowds being mediocre. Imagine if we had a dynamic coach bringing in dynamic talent. I have been resigned to moon for next 4 years, but having one of those days where I think, wow, we could have been so much better, so much better. But we will muddle along.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT