ADVERTISEMENT

Way Too Early LAX Rankings

It's interesting to note that while the Spiders lost to Jax a couple weeks ago, in the RPI rankings were ahead of them. The media polls every week won't have much impact on the NCA tournament, but the RPI will.

Neither team is getting an at-large, so rankings and ratings are essentially irrelevant.

Reactions: urfan1
Don't know how much if at all RPI affects seeding for the teams selected for postseason? Certainly can't hurt to have a higher RPI.

18. Richmond The Spiders beat Mercer 22-9 in a game in which Dalton Young and Ryan Lanchbury got back on track, combining for 11 points on 16 shots. Richmond heads to High Point on Saturday for the first of what’s likely to be a two-game series in Vert Stadium, with the rematch scheduled for May 5. These two teams know each other really well and split two meetings last year, with the Spiders winning 17-10 at home in the regular season and the Panthers going into Robins Stadium and claiming the SoCon championship via an 11-8 victory in the second matchup.

In the intro, I said it was hard to rank teams from Nos. 17-4, implying it was easier to make choices 20-18 and 3-1, but that actually undersells what to do with Dan Chemotti’s team, which beat Virginia three weeks ago and last to Jacksonville nine days ago. Just one example of how jumbled this Top 20 is (and has to be).

Stusub

Don't know how much if at all RPI affects seeding for the teams selected for postseason? Certainly can't hurt to have a higher RPI.
Simplified explanation

Sixth draft bracketology. This is the first time that I have felt that it's really possible for the Ivy League to get 5 teams in the final bracket. Brown def. Yale has shifted the bubble upward. The most important bubble games for the upcoming week are UNCCH @ UND on (cont.) https://t.co/oq9PyGw8Qm

Only the top 8 teams are seeded and separated, with the pairings done geographically while keeping "integrity of the bracket" in mind.

The bottom four teams will also be assigned to opening round play-in games this year, and the SoCon champion will likely be on the bubble between play-in and bye. AE, MAAC, and CAA seem to have three of the play-in slots locked up based on poor RPIs, but the final spot is less clear.

The leaders of the SoCon, NEC, ASUN, and maybe Patriot are pretty closely clustered in RPI, but ASUN (Utah) and NEC (St. Joe's) in particular only have one decently rated team each, so if either of those is upset, the auto bid would almost certainly drop into that fourth play-in spot.

Reactions: spider fan
Quite a read - excerpt

The Committee has clearly been adhering more closely to RPI in recent years, and the Dolphins project to remain below 20 based on playing Mercer (59) and then likely VMI (69) and the winner of Richmond (18) vs. High Point (28) in the SoCon championship.

As I wrote on Monday, I’m told that the reason the Committee’s Rankings had the Dolphins No. 10 is because of how the Regional Advisory Committee voted. That was enough to rank them nine spots ahead of their RPI. Keep in mind that the only way this is a question is if Jacksonville loses the SoCon title game, so if that settles their RPI at 24 and the lowest-rated RPI team picked is RPI No. 12, will the RAC vote them as high and will that be enough to make up the 12 spots necessary to get an at-large bid?

32- what's your read on our At Large chances with a loss to Jax in the SoCon Final? Could that UVA win hold up or no dice?

32- what's your read on our At Large chances with a loss to Jax in the SoCon Final? Could that UVA win hold up or no dice?
Zero chance for us at an at large.Only way for us to get in is through AQ.If JAX loses in the SoCon final they are in jeopardy of not receiving an at large even given their present lofty ranking.Ivies will get a ton of at large which puts a SoCon at large at the back of the bus,Ironically,our earlier loss to UNC is beginning to look like a bad loss.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Mo 2.0
Last edited:
Terps, Hoyas Top Final Nike/USA Lacrosse D-I Men's Top 20 of Regular Season | USA Lacrosse Magazine

Men's Division I Lacrosse 2022 Polls; Coaches Poll; Media Poll; USILA Poll; College Polls | Inside Lacrosse

Last edited:
Terry’s Top 20: The Aftermath | Inside Lacrosse

15. Richmond The Spiders know their way around the SoCon championship game. What do you expect from a team that’s never not been there?
I’ll remember this Richmond season for Peet Poillon’s comment the week of March 26, when Jacksonville was 8-2 with High Point coming to Duval and the Panthers were 5-4 but had played competitive games vs. Virginia, Duke and Carolina. He said “Dan [Chemotti] has got them right where he wants them.”

At the time, the Spiders were 5-3 coming off of a win over Hampton with losses to Carolina, Duke and Georgetown. His point was that Chemotti’s teams thrive when they’re lurking in the shadows and the fact that the attention was on their two chief rivals was only going to benefit the team in the long run. Unfortunately for Chemotti (but supporting Poillon’s theory), the Spiders beat Virginia that weekend, ruining their “under-the-radar” status. They lost to Jacksonville the following weekend and, when I asked Chemotti following Richmond’s SoCon title game win over the Dolphins what film was like that Monday, his chuckle was all I needed to hear — I’m sure it was brutal.

"That Monday film session taught us an awful lot after Jacksonville because there are certain things that, as a program, we take pride in, and you go back and watch it, and we ignored all of those things,” Chemotti said.

::Shivers::

There aren’t many things I’d hate hearing my coach say more than that.
Ultimately, he says it proved to be a good thing. Would Richmond have beaten Jacksonville had they not lost to them in the regular season? We’ll never know, but certainly losing to them in the regular season didn’t prevent the Spiders from winning the rematch.

Reactions: spider fan
Had the same thought wondering whether losing to Jacksonville in the regular season actually helped us in the Championship game?

Reactions: urfan1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT