ADVERTISEMENT

Virginia follows California, to ban gas powered cars

Gallipoli

Graduate Assistant
Aug 20, 2017
The Doghouse
Someone tell me why Virgina did this? Are we really going to ban gas powered cars?

In 2021, Governor Ralph Northam signed law mandating that Virginia follow California's climate change regulations.

"In 2021, Governor Northam and the Democrat- controlled General Assembly signed a law that binds Virginia to California's emission vehicle regulations, which, among other things, bans the sale of gas-powered cars in Virginia by 2035," a spokesperson for Virginia Attorney General Jason Miyares' office said in a statement to Fox 5 DC.

Someone tell me why Virgina did this? Are we really going to ban gas powered cars?

In 2021, Governor Ralph Northam signed law mandating that Virginia follow California's climate change regulations.

"In 2021, Governor Northam and the Democrat- controlled General Assembly signed a law that binds Virginia to California's emission vehicle regulations, which, among other things, bans the sale of gas-powered cars in Virginia by 2035," a spokesperson for Virginia Attorney General Jason Miyares' office said in a statement to Fox 5 DC.

Yes awesome, eh? Virginia joining the international community. Munchkin is trying to figger out how to reverse this under CRT (critical republican theory). Btw how about his speech in Michigan yesterday. Virginias history is so like Michigan’s his “path to victory “ is sure to play well. But I digress. See link.

Last edited:
I was hoping this policy was not correct.
It sounds like the legislation was enacted in January of 2021.

"Virginia's former governor, Democrat Ralph Northam, signed legislation in 2021 tying the state's emissions policies to The California Air Resources Board. The board has imposed a regimen to eliminate the sale of gas and diesel vehicles by 2035, forcing Virginia to do the same thanks to the 2021 law.

"In an effort to turn Virginia into California, liberal politicians who previously ran our government sold Virginia out by subjecting Virginia drivers to California vehicle laws," Youngkin wrote in a statement on Twitter. "Now, under that pact, Virginians will be forced to adopt the California law that prohibits the sale of gas and diesel-fueled vehicles."

I am pretty sure the car companies want this to happen. I believe essentially every car manufacturer is already planning to have entirely or mostly non-gas cars by 2035. What they want are clear and consistent standards (established by law) as they work toward that goal, and the necessary infrastructure to be built. I wouldn't be surprised if the California bill was the result of lobbying from the car companies.

For example, 27 car companies, including American companies, actually *asked* the EU to ban gas cars by 2035 as well. https://media.ford.com/content/ford...-eu-for-100--all-electric-vehicle-sales-.html

The Advance Of Civilization, a beautiful thing. Munchkin is too busy harking critical republican theory of the good old days of whatever he believes he audiences want to hear..

Fig. 1. Asher Durand, Progress (The Advance of Civilization), 1853. Oil on canvas, 48 x 72 in. Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, Richmond. Gift of an anonymous donor

The Advance Of Civilization, a beautiful thing. Munchkin is too busy harking critical republican theory of the good old days of whatever he believes he audiences want to hear..

Fig. 1. Asher Durand, Progress (The Advance of Civilization), 1853. Oil on canvas, 48 x 72 in. Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, Richmond. Gift of an anonymous donor
Are you saying that the Virginia should follow word for word the environmental policies of California?

The current power generation capacity in the US is not remotely capable of powering a wholesale shift to EV's by 2035. It is a 13 year out goal and a lot of capacity can be added by then so perhaps not a problem. We shall see, but if you guess wrong the consequences will be dire.

If the additional generation capacity all comes from renewables (unreliables), without break through battery storage technology, everyone is screwed. The technology to support a modern society solely on unreliable energy sources does not exist today. This is beyond dispute so lets not get waaay out over the skis on the panacea of Green energy.

Much work remains to be done. A worthy goal! I am totally supportive, but the transition must be driven by science, not unrealistic Green mania.

Since California is curbing people's ability to charge electric vehicles, does that mean Virginians must follow?

"In its Flex Alert, California said it was encouraging consumers to pre-cool their homes and use major appliances and charge electric vehicles and electronic devices before 4 p.m. It asked consumers to avoid using major appliances and charging electric vehicles between 4 p.m. and 9 p.m. "

When Thomas Edison invented the incandescent lightbulb, was there an infrastructure to support its use?

Reactions: urfan1
I’m old, grew up with Tom but after his invention do not recall the governor of New Jersey banning all other lighting sources.
I also don't recall the people of Virginia having to follow that edict either. If they did we would still be reading by candlelight and our cars would windups.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT