ADVERTISEMENT

Villanova is ripe

MolivaManiac

Spider's Club
Feb 8, 2004
The injury bug doesn't discriminate.

VU lost their senior nose tackle for the season yesterday. They also lost their 'change of pace' running back for several weeks.

Also seeing reports that Robertson is playing with a cast on his hand.

Originally posted by MolivaManiac:
The injury bug doesn't discriminate.

Also seeing reports that Robertson is playing with a cast on his hand.
There you go again, using the NSA's super computers.

How has Nova's defense done since the Fordham game?

Villanova hit a peak in mid September. This is going to be a very tough game but I like our chances.

A healthy dose of Fisher, Green and Rocco on the ground and play action passing is the winning recipe on O.

Roane, Holmes, Grant containment on Robertson is the defensive key. All 3 of them are versatile players built to defend offenses like Villanova.

astute post MO, every team has injuries, some more than others, some to key players more than others, but just part of the game, always has been. game will come down to which team plays better, makes the key plays and who wants it more.

I read that both Villanova and UR want this game by the exact same amount (84%), so I guess that won't be a factor.

Originally asked by Spider BigHouseClosedEnd on AGS:

Richmond's injury issues have been pretty well documented.

What is VU dealing with?

Earnest Pettway is out for the season. Starting Center Ross Hall has missed alot of time. Austin Medley saw like 1 snap with week, he was out 6 weeks with 2 high ankle sprains. Robertson still has the cast on his non throwing arm. Those are just the ones I can think of without looking

HB Austin Medley came back last game only for HB/Wildcat/all-purpose player Gary Underwood to get injured. Out 4 weeks. I don't know if Ross Hall was back at center last week, but if not he certainly should next week. TE Earnest Pettway is out until the playoffs. He's been our top TD target this year. His backup had a TD catch (his first career reception) vs. Morgan State. Someone else got injured on a TD yesterday, but I didn't see who.

OLB Corey Majors and DE Tanoh Kpassagnon are likely out the rest of the year (though I'm hoping we get Majors for the playoffs).

--------

Let's hope that the spiders collect some "pick sixes" and "scoop n scores" against these Wildcats!
This post was edited on 10/26 5:11 PM by FrontRoyalSpider

Eight, you must be reading one of those county papers or something, the real folks have not come out yet with who wants it the most.

What about our guys who were injured this past game and/or the guys who were dealing with injuries from the Rhode Island game?

Cannot help but be concerned about fake punts, blocked punts, and forced passes.

Originally posted by SpiderFan:
What about our guys who were injured this past game and/or the guys who were dealing with injuries from the Rhode Island game?
I'm guessing we're without D Jones, Herlocker, Fitzpatrick and likely Ayo.

We have talent but not a ton of depth in the secondary right now.

37 Barnette, Reggie DB 6-2 192 RSr.
16 Blueford, Mylon DB 5-10 185 Sr.
15 Coniker, Brendan DB 6-0 198 Jr.
21 Grant, Justin DB 6-0 205 Sr.
28 Herlocker, David DB 6-2 214 Jr.
13 Jones, David DB 6-1 187 RSo.
10 Jones, Trevor DB 5-10 188 RJr.
8 Jordan, Jarriel DB 5-8 172 Fr.
19 Mack, Charles DB 6-1 200 So.
31 Maddox, Xander DB 5-10 190 Jr.
17 Mainsah, Tafon DB 5-10 200 RFr.
6 Miller, Dominique DB 5-8 175 RJr.
9 Ogunniyi, Ayo DB 6-0 193 Jr.
43 Sedergren, Logan DB 6-1 180 Fr.
25 Thomas, Tim DB 5-11 178 RSo.
36 Henderson, Jack DB/P 5-8 180 RFr.

We have some pretty good players available.Not sure Sedergren has played as of yet.He is going to be a good one.Maybe he among others will get to smack Robertson like he hasn't been smacked when he tries to get on his horse.DeMatha product Jordan has played.

Blueford, D Jones, Herlocker and maybe Ogunnyi out. Need Miller or Jordan to step up at corner. Miller had 2 PI's at Elon and Jordan is a true frosh that's seen little time.

Also need Mack or another safety to step up for Nickel look.

You listed alot of names there but not alot of names that have seen quality time. We're talking about being down to 3rd string corner. Not ideal.

Geez, sounds like we are going to have the walking wounded or rookies playing each other.

Against the top QB in the FCS. DC has his work cut out for him. Best way to do that is stop turning the ball over on offense. Take the 10 yd. pass instead of the 30 yarder and run some clock .

Agree devil, no turnovers and we need to control the clock and keep Robertson on the sideline. I will add that I think we can control clock by giving them a large dose of Fischer, Greene, and hopefully Hamlin. Nova's D is not great and they lost their best D lineman, the nose tackle, last week. I think we will be able to establish run and use play action off of that success. When they stack the box, MR has to make them pay and utilize our receivers and TE.

Originally posted by MolivaManiac:

Also need Mack or another safety to step up for Nickel look.
Agreed. Down both nickel guys in DJones and Herlocker. Trevor Jones will play some corner this week, maybe even the nickel.

Good to see Mainsah have a good game at Elon because we are weak at corner. Miller struggling as of late and Jordan young/inexperienced.

Reactions: 30YearSPDR
Per Anovafan on AGS-

"Pat Williams did suffer a meniscus tear last week. He doesn't want surgery and wants to play the rest of the season with the tear. He will play against Richmond and the doctors will evaluate it after the game. If it gets worse he will have surgery next Monday and be out 3 weeks and hopefully back for the playoffs, assuming everything goes to plan with his knee and that whole making the playoffs thing. If I had to guess, the story will be the same next Monday, the kid is a warrior and doesn't want to miss a game."

The rain should help a meniscus tear.Not.

the clock can be controlled with short passes as well as running it. the key here is, is nova's defense a bad as rhode island's or elon's?? if not, then we are not going to just find a running game against them, would be nice but don't expect it. you guys are right though, if we cannot slow robertson down and or keep him off the field, probably are not going to win this one.

Originally posted by WebSpinner:

the key here is, is nova's defense a bad as rhode island's or elon's?? if not, then we are not going to just find a running game against them,
Is this a serious or rhetorical question?

MO, some above are saying that nova's defense is terrible and am only trying to figure out what terrible equates to, elon, rhody? it is not like we ran the ball down their throats and if nova is better than them, cannot really count on us running up and down the field on them either. don't know, just trying to figure it out. what does rhetorical mean?? quit using big words

Originally posted by WebSpinner:
MO, some above are saying that nova's defense is terrible and am only trying to figure out what terrible equates to, elon, rhody? it is not like we ran the ball down their throats and if nova is better than them, cannot really count on us running up and down the field on them either. don't know, just trying to figure it out. what does rhetorical mean?? quit using big words
And apparently pronouns. Sorry Spinner, couldn't resist! lol

This post was edited on 10/29 6:24 PM by SpiderRick

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT